Help me pick my next cruise for August 2011

DonnaK

We are tossing around 5 ideas, but would like to reserve one before the WOW sale ends tonight. (Note: we have only been on Voyager-class ships so far, and we have two children 19 and 17)

Serenade 8/14 (Barbados route): several new ports for us; concerned about it being too port-intensive

Serenade 8/21 (Aruba route): one new port; did a similar itinerary on Adventure in 2003

Freedom 8/21 (western route): tiresome itinerary, however best price by several hundred dollars!

Oasis 8/20 (western): tiresome itinerary; would have to settle for two inside cabins and forego the balcony due to price.

Explorer 8/18: no "new to us" ports, older ship with mixed reviews, most expensive (by nearly $2000) however two days longer and can drive to the port, so no airfare to add-on like the other options

I know it's hard to make a recommendation when you don't really know us, but which one would you choose for yourself and why?

Not knowing what you enjoy most on the cruise, here would be my picks:

If ports were the most important, go with Serenade Barbados for the new ports

If ship experience was the most important (shows and activities), I would go with the Freedom or the Oasis, depending on how important your room was to you.

For me, I would pick the Serenade, as it would be a new ship and new ports to me. :)

We were on the Freedom recently, here are our pics if you want to see some of the ship:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/therealdanielfamily/sets/72157624763882587/

Thanks bionicman! I appreciate your input. My difficulty in making a decision is that every member of our household wants something different. Like, my oldest daughter and I like ports, my husband likes sea days, my husband doesn't care about the ship - he hates flying so he's pulling for Explorer, the rest of us want a new-to-us ship, my youngest daughter has no opinions, etc.

I thought it might help me decide (since I'm responsible for making the reservation and planning the trip) if I could hear what other people would choose.

I may be biased since I'm booked on the 8/21 Freedom sailing, since my kids love the Freedom class ships (rock wall, ice skating, Flowrider). But I was also considering Explorer for the extra nights and the reality that we did not have to fly. We have done Mariner so we're familiar with the ship but my older son has become a Flowrider junkie and it's hard to consider sailing without one (my younger one missed the height requirement by thatmuch).

I'd like to do some different ports, but we really do cruise for the ship just as much, since we often don't get off. I like the western and this time around, have something planned for Cozumel that's different from our last time there (did the dolphin swim).

Understanding that each family member has different needs and wants, it's going to be harder for you to pick. But if you have girls, then the Flowrider might not be a big draw for them.

And while I'd love Oasis or Allure, the price difference is just too much at this point. I was originally booked on Oasis for Presidents' break and it was cheaper than this particular week in August. Unbelievable!

We've been on a number of cruises and have seen many different island ports and many have appeared to be similar so our choice is the newest Freedom Class.

It looks as though you have been out quite a few times on cruises and if you have not been to some of the ports, I can see why you would be interested in a little older ship because of the itinerary. Just don't expect a tremendous bang for your buck. We went to Alaska on the Vision and compared to other ships we sailed on, it was disappointing in size, decor and character. I'm not sure if the Serenade is the same class as the Vision, but if it is I think you could be disappointed with the ship.

As far as myself, recent sailings have made the ship our prime interest. We were out on the Independence last year and the ship was amazing. We especially liked the Promenade area and spent a lot of time in the pub, the cafe and just strolling. The dining rooms were magnificient with 3 stories of luxurious surroundings and the huge swimming pool area and solarium with separate pools for kiddies and adults was wonderful. While the rock climbing wall, basketball courts and flow rider were not important to us, the younger people were really enjoying it.

We're planning to sail in November on the Liberty (the sister ship).

Either way, I'm sure you will have a good time.

Hi Donna... you and I are in the same boat. LOL My folks and my family are also considering the same sailings as you (adding in two Carnival sailings as we are Platinum members). But we haven't sailed RCCL in ages so we're up to booking them in Aug. 2011.

Right now we are strongly aiming for the Serenade because of the ports. Wanted the Allure or Oasis, but my since my daughter is only going to be 2 it didn't seem right to pay that amount of money and not be able to use the kids' club because she's not 3 yet. That's ok, we'll try them another time.

Anyways, I'm curious to know which sailing/ship you chose. Perhaps we'll see you on board!

Tina

That would be an easy pix for us, as after 19 cruises we

found out we do not like the bigger ships ( over 3200)..

Having been on the seranade before...( and loved her).....

That would be my chose.

It is not so much anymore about the destination ...as it is

about the ship for us .....but of course, that doesn't apply for

everybody

good luck choosing !!!

B.j.:)

Thanks bionicman! I appreciate your input. My difficulty in making a decision is that every member of our household wants something different. Like, my oldest daughter and I like ports, my husband likes sea days, my husband doesn't care about the ship - he hates flying so he's pulling for Explorer, the rest of us want a new-to-us ship, my youngest daughter has no opinions, etc.

I thought it might help me decide (since I'm responsible for making the reservation and planning the trip) if I could hear what other people would choose.

You asked for it so here is my vote: Serenade 8/14.

Just returned from a B2B (8/15 & 8/22) and loved both itineraries (reviews soon to come). This was not the 1st time doing both (Dominica has been replaced with St. Kitts), but they seem the most interesting and will repeat both. We've also done the other Caribbean itineraries and not interested in a repeat.

Yes, the 8/14 is port intensive but you will not get bored, and can cut back on activities if it gets too tiring. It least you'll have that option. Plus, with all of the island hopping your girls will not miss the bells and whistles of the Oasis and the Freedom.

Whatever cruise you take....ENJOY, ENJOY, ENJOY!!

This is the OP. We didn't book for the wow sale because we couldn't decide. However, I think we're going with Serenade...we just haven't decided on the week. We can save a couple of hundred dollars going with the Aruba itinerary on 8/21 over the Barbados itinerary on 8/14, but we can always downgrade cabins to make up for the difference. I know airfare is usually more to San Juan than to Florida, and more ports equals more money spent on excursions.

I'd go with Oasis. We are doing the same itinerary again due to the ship. We've sailed on all classes. We were blown away by the Oasis. We did consider Freedom, but factoring in flight and transportation to port, we could do Oasis for close to same price.

Ports are important to us ,however. We didn't chose Allure due to ports.

It's not an easy choice, but the good thing is there's not a bad choice! You will enjoy any of them.

Archived