If Licensed, Vaccine Would be the World’s First against Norovirus

geocruiser

Hi, This made the news up here yesterday because the study is from the U of R. It would be great not to have to wory about this virus any more on cruise ships.

http://www.urmc.rochester.edu/news/story/index.cfm?id=2973

Interesting....Are you volunteering for the study?

It's all over where there is close contact & not confined to cruise ships..It's extremely prevalent in schools..

Actually, I would be more worried about picking up the virus while flying...I believe that many actually picked it up while flying to the cruise....You have over a hundred people using one or two public & very confined bathrooms on board..Wonder how many actually wash their hands for three minutes after using them..:eek: And then it spreads..

Thanks for posing the link..

Cheers....:)Betty

If I lived in your area, I'd be sure to volunteer. I don't know that I've ever had Noro, but I don't want it and would be glad to have a vaccine!!! Why risk ruining a cruise or passing the germ along to others? I hope the trials prove to be effective.

Thanks for sharing this.

Now NOBODY will wash their hands after using the toilet.
Are you telling us that fear of Norovirus is the only reason you currently wash your hands after using the toilet???? :eek: :eek: :eek: I know that isn't the case for me (and hopefully many, MANY others). I welcome the vaccine to protect us from the fools (to be polite :rolleyes:) who don't wash their hands properly - not so I don't have to wash.

Hmmm, I've never pondered this before, but if noro is a virus, does that mean that if you have it once, you're immune?

Contracting a virus MAY give you a very short immunity period after you have recovered.

CDC studies on the subject have been inconclusive.

Generally speaking, humans do not develop long term immunity to most common viruses.

Most mutate so quickly that even if you are immune to one, several other mutations are out there, trying to infect you.

That's why you continue to contract cold viruses, flu viruses, and Norwalk virus - even after you have had them before.

I was recently a research subject at the CDC. After working on cruise ships for several decades, meeting and shaking hands with many thousands of Norwalk-infected passengers, I have never once suffered from Norwalk.

After comprehensive testing, my CDC colleagues concluded that I was not immune to Norwalk, but had a very strong immune system coupled with fastidious cleanliness habits.

Hmmm, I've never pondered this before, but if noro is a virus, does that mean that if you have it once, you're immune?

Not necessarily. I'm thinking it may be like the common cold - the same symptoms may be caused by several viruses. The way the article read they've picked a couple of the most common viruses to target. And if they're like flu viruses they'll then mutate into something slightly different - that's why you have to get a flu vaccine every year.

I just heard of a study that said about 96% of women wash their hands, 33% of men they studied didn't after using the restroom! UGH! No wonder I don't even want to touch the door to get out of the restroom! Wash, wash, wash your hands! I was with a ship's doctor for dinner one cruise, and he told me he personally washed his hands every chance he got aboard, and tried to adhere to a policy of only touching things, (like elevator buttons, handrails, etc.) with his "non-eating" hand... he just designated his left hand for touching, right hand for eating. You can't always do that (ergo, the constant washing) but taking his advice, I've never caught Noro, even on ships where it was prevalent.

I just heard of a study that said about 96% of women wash their hands, 33% of men they studied didn't after using the restroom! UGH! No wonder I don't even want to touch the door to get out of the restroom! Wash, wash, wash your hands! I was with a ship's doctor for dinner one cruise, and he told me he personally washed his hands every chance he got aboard, and tried to adhere to a policy of only touching things, (like elevator buttons, handrails, etc.) with his "non-eating" hand... he just designated his left hand for touching, right hand for eating. You can't always do that (ergo, the constant washing) but taking his advice, I've never caught Noro, even on ships where it was prevalent.

One of the things that really gets to me besides ladies not washing their hands (when i an in the ladies room) is when I am washing my hands and a lady come to the other sink and put ONE hand under the water and thinks that that is a hand washing. What about the other hand and some use of soap?

Maria

One of the things that really gets to me besides ladies not washing their hands (when i an in the ladies room) is when I am washing my hands and a lady come to the other sink and put ONE hand under the water and thinks that that is a hand washing. What about the other hand and some use of soap?

Maria

Amen! I don't want to jinx myself (cause I could get sick next cruise) but through washing of hands is the BEST defense against the dreaded Noro... the ship's doctor also told us you "shed" virus cells for several days AFTER you start feeling better, so people who get it have a tendency to get out into the population too soon, and spread the virus that way. They feel better, and don't realize they still are contagious. Just curious, has anyone given it to their better half when they've had it?

Archived