Rome Subway Question

lcumpire

We are staying in Rome pre-cruise for just one night. We are thinking of walking to the Trevi Fountain and maybe taking the subway back to our hotel.

I have read about pickpockets on the subway but even though we will be careful should I be overly concerned about taking the subway?

Thanx

As with any large city just keep your wits about you and keep your valuables well concealed. Also, avoid being near the doors as there can be quite a bit of jostling there. You could also consider walking unless you're staying really far from the Trevi Fountain. Rome is a lovely and easy city to walk. I was just there last week and walked the city from the Colosseo to the Vatican hitting many stops in between with no problem.

We are staying in Rome pre-cruise for just one night. We are thinking of walking to the Trevi Fountain and maybe taking the subway back to our hotel.

I have read about pickpockets on the subway but even though we will be careful should I be overly concerned about taking the subway?

Thanx

I have used the subway & buses in Rome at night without a problem. That being said just use common sense precautions such has a travel vest and/or a money belt and don't bring a lot of valuables. It is a large city but no more dangerous than any other.

Good advice above about staying alert.

The metro is one alternative, depending on exactly where you are staying. From another thread I think I remember you saying you'll be near the Vatican. An alternative to the metro is the #62 bus, which you can get on Via del Corso, just a couple of short blocks from Trevi. It goes directly to Piazza San Pietro.

I'd just be careful with the pickpockets. I've been to Rome four or five times and always ridden the subway and never had a problem. Last time, though, I had my hands in my front pockets holding my wallet, and actually felt a hand trying to get in! I looked and it was a nicely-dressed business man type, not who you would picture as a pickpocket. I guess that's the trick. He just said scusi and went on.

btw, maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember a metro stop anywhere near the Trevi.

I'd just be careful with the pickpockets. I've been to Rome four or five times and always ridden the subway and never had a problem. Last time, though, I had my hands in my front pockets holding my wallet, and actually felt a hand trying to get in! I looked and it was a nicely-dressed business man type, not who you would picture as a pickpocket. I guess that's the trick. He just said scusi and went on.

btw, maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember a metro stop anywhere near the Trevi.

I would like to thank everyone for their response - I feel more comfortable taking the metro now. I have traveled on the NYC and DC so I am not nervous about taking the subway itself. According to a map I found there is a stop about 10 minutes away. We are flying in that morning so I expect to be tired by the time we are finished walking from the Vatican to the Trevi. May also decide to take a taxi but from what I remember you are taking your life in your hands.

thanx

The Barberini metro stop is 4/10ths of a mile from the Trevi fountain. The bus is closer, if that matters (one tenth of a mile).

After walking all the way from the Vatican it might matter. All I now is that is unlikely that we will walk back. Thanx

We used the subway from the train station coming and going each way and it is very crowded and there is a lot of jostling as you enter and depart. We both had travel vests on with nothing in our pants pockets at all, and my husband still got groped on his back wallet pocket twice. Each time, he was bumped from either the side or the front first, then they tried his back pocket...we avoided any potential pick pocket, but were amazed at the frequency during our short day in the city.

Happy cruising....Joanne

We were in Rome for about a week, and took the subway daily, it was very busy at times (people packed in like sardines) but we never had a problem.

That being said, we are from a big city (Toronto) and are used to a full subway.

Archived