Giving a cruise as a Christmas gift ...

My siblings, step-siblings, and I are considering putting down a deposit/paying for a 3 day cruise for our parents as a Christmas gift. It would be their 1st cruise ever. We have been debating the pros and cons of such an undertaking but would love to hear any comments, concerns, or past experiences good or bad about such a gift in case we have missed something crucial.:eek:

We have decided that we should go ahead and pick a day not to far after Christmas, and wondering if it's possible for us to make the reservation for them while on our anniversary cruise early Dec., do you think this is possible?

We have decided that we should go ahead and pick a day not to far after Christmas, and wondering if it's possible for us to make the reservation for them while on our anniversary cruise early Dec., do you think this is possible?

It is always a great testament to the parents when their children think so highly of them that they are willing to do something like this for them. I think it is very doable. Since you will be on a cruise when you do this you can get the vacation planner on the cruise ship to help you with the details.

My siblings, step-siblings, and I are considering putting down a deposit/paying for a 3 day cruise for our parents as a Christmas gift. It would be their 1st cruise ever. We have been debating the pros and cons of such an undertaking but would love to hear any comments, concerns, or past experiences good or bad about such a gift in case we have missed something crucial.:eek:

I would have to say that a lot would depend on your parents. Do they want to cruise? It is not for everyone (as much as most CC members are fans)

And are you sure they would be able to be away at a specific time? If you book for shortly after Christmas in early Dec. you will be in the non-refundable period if they can't make the time you selected.

I would also have some concern sending my parents on a 3 night cruise as their first experience. 3-nighters can sometimes be more of "party" cruises. That might suit your parents. :) My parents, OTOH, would be better suited to the 7-night vibe.

Just some thoughts. But if it were me, I would love the gift! :D

I would ask them before you do it. I put a deposit on a cruise for my mother and when I told her, she was a little upset because she just did not want to be on any type of boat, at all, end of discussion. It wouldn't have been a very fun surprise for her.

Absolutely go for it...with one small "but"....

Give them a "certificate" for the cruise with maybe a dummy check made out to the cruise line, wrapped in a huge box with multi-colored streamers, leis, straw hats, sunglasses and a cruise brochure. Maybe even a towel animal.

Reason? Passports, shots, medical considerations, clothes shopping, etc., etc. There are some bits of administrivia which need to occur before departing on a cruise and unless you are 100% sure they are all covered, you won't want to put actual $$ down on a fixed date.

Twice for Xmas my DH gave me such a certificate, inviting me to take a friend and enjoy myself. Honestly, they were the best presents I ever received. So...by all means, treat your parents to a cruise. :):)

additional info....each time one of us goes on a cruise we get to hear...."must be nice" and I'm confident that as long as they have enough advance notice and prior contact with their employers by one of us (they will only have to take off on a friday) that time off should not be an issue....

we are thinking only 3 days to start to make sure that they enjoy cruising and get a taste for it ...both can be obnoxious if truly "treated unfairly" and we felt that any torture that we might be imposing on them could surely be endured in the caribbean for 3 days.....:rolleyes:

so if I put down a deposit while on our cruise, I assume that I just create it in their names then the siblings can add payments later on the web??

thanks for your comments so far.....thinking out loud....maybe my real question is .....thinking back to your 1st cruise .....would you rather have it selected and paid for you (not knowing what to expect) and given as a gift or given a gift certificate to pick and plan at your leisure....

thanks for your comments so far.....thinking out loud....maybe my real question is .....thinking back to your 1st cruise .....would you rather have it selected and paid for you (not knowing what to expect) and given as a gift or given a gift certificate to pick and plan at your leisure....

I love the picking and planning so I would vote the latter. But you know your parents....... :)

A few years ago, I treated my grown children and their spouses,along with my sister and niece to a 3-day cruise to the Bahamas - it was a first cruise for all of them and they had a blast!

And they have since become true cruise addicts, anxiously awaiting each new cruise adventure. We're all planning to sail together aboard the Freedom in October 2011, along with several other family members and friends who will be taking their first-ever cruises.

Everyone is different, though. Talk with your parents and follow their lead. If they sound interested, go for it! If they're unsure, talk about their concerns. If they're not at all interested, don't be hurt, just get them something for Christmas more to their liking!:)

Archived