Vatican is free last Sunday each month

tango9

I've read that the lines are long on Sunday, and based on the length of lines the two times we've been on other days of the week, it's hard to imagine longer lines!

Here's a link to info that might be of help ... scroll down to just under the first picture where he talks about free Sundays.

Sorry, the link didn't work as the Ron in Rome site is blocked on CC. Here's a copy of the text I was referring to:

"The last Sunday of every month the Vatican Museum is open and FREE! Naturally, as it is free, there are huge crowds on these days, and there is no skip-the-line system in place. I would strongly suggest to avoid “Free Sundays.” The Vatican becomes a cattle run! Some folks wait in lines for hours and still do no get in as they limit the entry times to 9:00 AM – 12:00 PM and then close the Museum at 2:00 PM. In addition, it’s so crowded in there you can’t even move – Hardly the best way to see the art and treasures of the Vatican Museum. Spend the €15 (eff. Jan 2010) and “see” the Museum, rather than be carried by the “tide” of folks who swarm on “Free Sundays!”

Although it was free (Day of Tourism) End of September you were able to book tickets to avoid lines.

Not sure if this apply as well to the free Sundays to book a tour. But just check yourself and try it. It might work with the tours.

http://biglietteriamusei.vatican.va/musei/tickets/do?action=booking

Regards

HeinBloed

We spent 2 weeks in Rome which included the last Sunday of April. Our hotel was near the Vatican so I saw the line on the free Sunday. Around 10am it extended almost all the way to the colonnade of St. Peter's Square! I can't even imagine waiting that long or dealing with that kind of crowd!

We were there the last Sunday in August. I have never seen a line so long in my life. It seemed like over 10,000 people. I would guess it must have taken 3 hours.

The free days must be the single worst time to go to the Vatican museums.

It is definitely not worth it to wait in those lines on free Sunday. The Vatican only charges admission for the museums, which includes the Sistine Chapel. St. Peter's Basilica is always free for entry, although there are small charges to climb the dome, get into the treasury, etc. There is a security line to get into St. Peter's but it moves quickly.

Archived