What is Travel Insurance??

cruzrs1sttime

Hi all,

I am new to cruising and doing my research. What is travel insurance? Do I need it? Do I have to have it? Is it expensive? I have never had travel insurance before for a trip.... I haven't asked my TA but I figured I might hear back sooner through here.

Thanks!!

Travel insurance encompasses a broad "umbrella" of insurance but basically for most of us it's "Cancellation" type insurance... i.e. and just very basically, it is an insurance policy that "insures" you if you have to cancel your trip for a "covered reason" (usually medical), if you have to be medivaced back from your cruise due to medical/surgical emerency, if your baggage is lost for more than 24 hrs. etc.

All of this being said there are a ton of other factors to consider such as preexisting medical conditions, who is "covered" etc. I would suggest you look at the website www.insuremytrip.com and see exactly what type of things are covered. This site allows you to compare various policies, etc. The cost of insurance is based on your age, length of trip. cost of trip etc. If you have a cruise brochure they generally have information about this as do the cruise line's website although this often is not your best option in terms of cost etc.

There are a lot of threads on this particular forum that discuss the options and very helpful people but you need to look at some stuff yourself as well to get a general idea.

I'm surprised your TA didn't mention this; most try to sell it to you when you make your deposit.

Hi all,

I am new to cruising and doing my research. What is travel insurance? Do I need it? Do I have to have it? Is it expensive? I have never had travel insurance before for a trip.... I haven't asked my TA but I figured I might hear back sooner through here.

Thanks!!

You're spending BIG BUCKS on a fabulous cruise with possible air travel, possible kids involved, outside of your home country.

My cruise usually cost a couple of grand, plus airfare, plus hotels. Usually, all that money is non-refundable. I cannot afford to absorb that loss if I have to cancel for some reason. For pennies on the dollar, I can insure myself against possible loss.

I'm on a cruiseship out in the middle of the ocean. The cruiseship is taking me to foreign countries. I have no medical coverage outside of the US. I cannot afford to pay for evacuation off the ship, emergency medical services in a foreign hospital, and then a medical flight back to the States. For pennies on the dollar, I can insure myself for this possiblity.

Do I get insurance for my Vegas weekends? No

Do I get insurance for my camping trips? No

Do I get insurance for my trips back to the midwest to visit my parents? No

Do I get insurance for a cruise vaction? Yes

Do I get insurance for my All Inclusive Resort vacation in Jamaica or Mexico? Yes

Well said...I don't have $$ to absorb cost of cancelled cruise (twice in 20 yrs cruising) and don't know many that do... and medivac can be upwards of 100,000 or more depending where you are and seriousness of condition..

I was part time TA in 90s and never ceased to amaze me how many people balked at the $80 travel insurance but risked losing 3,000 on a cruise..... but then if something did happen they were first to complain about cruise lines/airline refusal to refund their money!

Archived