First Time Cruisers, How to Save money??

I am all for saving money (or not spending more than I have to), but I would never advise someone to not pay gratuities or to break the law by bringing food into a port. I think both of those ideas are disgraceful.

I know plenty of people do it, but I will also not sneak alcohol onboard.

I've purchased a bunch of soda and drink coupons to spread out the cost. And I might bring a bottle or two of wine along since that is allowed.

I would consider bringing some soda too since it's allowed but I don't want to bother lugging it around.

I have a newbie friend going with me on my next cruise, so she asked me "how much extra $$ do you think I need to take? $1000?" my response :eek:

So it'll be fun for me to show her how much of that she does not need (unless she wants to cover me and my family's spending and tips also LOL)

What I will tell her is what's been posted here so perfectly....nothing against the rules or illegal to save money.....

There is a huge difference between being frugal and being cheap.
yep and an even more defining difference in being illegal and not obeying the ship/cruiseline rules....

LakeGoddess....my sentiments and doings exactly, I just couldn't agree more....

I don't even want to talk about how ppl can not follow or obey rules and then expect their kids/teens to do so to their rules at home :confused:....but that isn't even the reason I follow rules and obey laws....just a comment.....and I am not being self- anything

I think keeping cost down before and while preparing for the cruise can be counted in towards cruise money saving ways.....a gf just told me last week about great sales on items of clothing that would be useful on our cruise much later in this year.....so thinking in advance about what you would want to take with you, making a list and over the months before you cruise, keep that list in mind so you will notice when those items go on sale....

couple of cruises ago, this gf bought absolutely nothing new before she and her girls cruised.....she had everything already well beforehand at good savings....

can you borrow from friends and/or family members? luggage, tote bags, walkie talkies if you planned to use or buy them, books, etc. anything you would buy beforehand that someone wouldn't mind lending to you for your cruise.....

if you will be receiving a gift and are giving a preference, might you suggest something cruise-useful? even the gift of a bottle of wine you would ordinarily be buying to take on board....

good, solid advice here on cruising frugally.....

• 3 weeks later...
For us we always get an inside room because we are only in there to literally shower, get changed and sleep. There's way too much to do on the ship to stay cooped up in your room. So with that in mind, we save money.

We treat ourselves to one or two alcoholic drinks a day and take full advantage of the free champagne and fruity drinks they serve at the captains welcome and art auction.

We skip the wine and soda packages.

If you enjoy the spa, wait until you get on board to book it. I know some people find that risky because it can get booked up but they often offer specials while on board. I got a great deal last year on a facial and massage. I plan to wait again until I get on board. If I get a spot great, if not, oh well.

I personally rarely book excursions through the ship. I know that there are safety concerns for some people but I think I have pretty good judgement about shopping for excursions online. We've gotten some great prices on parasailing and jet ski tours with a little searching on popular and reputable tour companies.

On the same note, don't overpack your cruise with excursions. Sometimes it's nice to just take a cab to the beach and chill with a good book. Or walk around on the island.

Skip bingo. It's a rip off.

don't use the phone, internet, or fax.

Check your tab daily so that there are no surprises at the end of your trip.

Enjoy your time.

I totally agree about the cabin. My husband and I booked an inside room (his first cruise) but then got an upgrade for just $40. Now we will have a window with a lifeboat view. But, hey, it's at least a little daylight, right?

As for bingo....years ago on a first cruise to Mexico with my then boyfriend, we played bingo while we waited for the show. Neither of us really knew what we were doing. We won - a cruise! So we used that for an Alaska cruise. We just had to pay taxes. So I would have to say it's not a rip off. Just don't spend alot of money on it. We only played one sheet each.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
We get a balcony on Carnival and bring wine aboard at each stop. Alcohol is taken and stored for you when returning to the ship from ports, but wine and beer can be brought aboard. We then sit on the balcony before supper and have a couple of glasses of wine while watching the sun set.

I know you could bring wine. Can you bring beer? That would be a big money saver for us.

There is lots of good advice on here, but not all of it will apply to you. For example, cruising off season is a great way to save money, unless you have a husband who is a teacher and are stuck cruising over the holidays :(

I think the best advice someone gave me was to come up with a budget for the cruise and stick with it. What is important to you? Some say a balcony isn't critical, but it is to me when travelling with people who are easily seasick or toddlers who nap in the afternoon. So to balance this out, we bring water bottles for lugging water around (ITA that the ship water is fantastic, almost as good as the well water from home!), pop for DH to drink, my coffee mug to load up on coffee at the buffet, and every toiletry item we could possibly need. ITA with others who suggest avoiding buying things on board. We avoid eating meals in port, as the food is already paid for on ship. We have a strict budget for spending on excursions, souveniers and such, and we stick to it.

We cannot drive to a port, so airfare is a huge part of our cruising cost...sometimes more than half, so finding a deal on airfare is an easy way of reducing costs.

Honestly, if we were into saving money we wouldn't be cruising, as a previous thread details quite nicely why Canadians just can't cruiseas inexpensively as going to many all inclusive resorts.

• 3 months later...

Archived