Help a party of seven (with kids) plan the Mexican Riviera

ma23peas

Next March, we are taking two nieces for their graduation gift (one from high school and one from college) with our family to the Mexican Riviera...I originally had planned on doing the zip line..but it's just too expensive when you figure in the transportation, possibly eating there, tips and all that...plus dh is very concerned about travel in Mexico and wants to stay close to the port.

Sooo..I've been reading the threads and think in Cabo (think it was Cabo) we'll arrange for him to get a back massage and order some appetizers for the kids so we can swim at the Krystal? Or is there another hotel that has a cool pool? Is it too cool to swim in March? Are the pools heated?? We don't mind walking places...prefer it actually (dh would disagree but we like to stretch our legs)

Now for Mazatlan and Puerto Vallarta...with 7 traveling and all non-drinkers (seems a lot of people like to eat and drink on these stops! :D) I'm wondering what we can do? We're adventurous and will definitely take a water taxi, what fun! But to where? With 7, we can't all fit in one of those open air taxi's..that looks like fun..but I'm guessing we'd need two?

I love seeing historical sites..any ruins/museums around? I know my nieces would like to see shopping sites..though we really have no money to spend other than a cool shirt/skirt/hat somewhere...

Any ideas for our crew on a budget? Ages 11, 13, 15, 17, 20 and two parents 43! :)

Thanks for your help!!

Tara

These 3 ports sre typically hot, and historical sights would seem not so worthy of the effort.

Puerto Vallarta is where the Krystal is. In Mazaltan, the two choices would seem the El Cid Pool resort, or stone Island. The El Cid is a 15+ minute taxi ride, with a very welcoming pool area, and an inviting beach area. You can walk right into the El Cid and use all their facilitites. Stone Island is a 10 minute walk from the cruise terminal, and a Palapa Beach atmosphere. The kids can scout around and find a horse or banana tube ride for minimal $ (the $ you save on the El Cid Taxi & El Cid soda's). Historical sights for your age group and budget may be a second choice. Souvenir shopping is everywhere.

We would suggest doing the Pool/Massage at the El Cid, and seeing more of Puerto Vallarta, as it has lots to see and do. You can hunt around near the El Cid and likely find a massage on or near the beach for $20. Stone island also has massage tables on the beach. Mazatlan is typically the least favorite port of call, of your three port visits.

El Cid Pool

ElCidpool1.jpg

El Cid Beach

ElCidBeach1.jpg

Mazatlans Stone Island

StoneIsland3.jpg

In Cabo, there is a beautiful/safe marina boardwalk for some shopping, then a water taxi ride over to medano beach. If you hunt around a bit on Medano beach, you can find nearly free chairs and umbrella rentals. The view of Cabo Bay and activities views from Medano Beach, make Cabo a favorite port of call.

Cabo's Beautiful Marina Boardwalk (right off the tender pier)

boardwalk8.jpg

Medano Beach is a cruiser favorite for the bay activities and views

Medano Beach is on left side of Cabo Bay pic below

mountaintop2.jpg

Puerto Vallarta is where the Krystal is. In Mazaltan, the two choices would seem the El Cid Pool resort, or stone Island.

Bobnsofi!! I LOVE your pictures, they're really the main reason I'm even convinced we need to leave the ship!! Thanks so much for the tips!! The El Cid Pool looks great...we just walk in and swim?? That seems so odd, seeing as how the Disney resorts don't even like pool hopping!! :)

Thanks!!!

Tara

Mazatlan is a large older working Mexican City. If you catch 2 cool open air Taxis (cheaper outside the cruise terminal), you can have them give you a brief tour of downtown on the way to the El Cid, and that will scratch the "historical sights" itch, and give the kids an up close and personal experience of Mexican City life. There are dozens of beachfront hotels in Mazatlan. Most all welcome cruisers with open arms. The El Cid is most popular with cruisers, and it is one of the largest, is right in the center of the beach activity zone, and you will likely see many of your ship mates there. The El Cid loves a packed pool area of smiling faces ordering food and drink. Most Mazatlan resort pools are quiet, not the El Cid.

Mazatlan Taxi

Taxi1.jpg

Downtown Mazatlan'd historical sights are on teh way to the El Cid, and are best viewed driving by in an open air taxi. Open air taxi's can be chartered for $10/hour.

Downtown Mazatlan's historical sights are on the way to the El Cid

Church1.jpg

bobnsofi~ I just LOVE your insight on the ports of the Mexican Riviera! Can I ask which you would suggest for Mazatlan for a young family? We were thinking Stone Island and riding horses on the beach. Will they allow young kids ridding with parents? I have kids ages 21 months 5 and 8.

However after reading your review of El Cid I think that would be fun also.

Typically in Mexico, if you are comfortable, they are comfortable, so if want to horse with your kids, they will also, and give you the extra gentle horses, most all are extremely gentle anyway.

When we visit stone island, we try to snuggle up with a large group of Canadians and chit chat and play card games. We cruise stop visit Mazatlan between Nov-Feb and love to pal around with the Snowbirds from Canada (love those accents, wit & charm). Last visit we enjoyed a Canadian bargain for a 1/2 hour to get a great necklace/ear ring set for $7. Love Mexico Palapa beach life with the Canadian snow birds

Stone Island Beach

IMG_8452a.jpg

We typically make a day in Mazatlan, charter a vehicle, and go 10+ miles north, stop by the El Cid, and then head back south to Stone Island near the cruise terminal. Took us years to learn Mazatlan.

Our typical minimal $ visit is described with pics/maps in this prior Mazatlan post here on cruise critic

Prior Mazatlan cruise critic post of our typical Mazatlan visit => http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1157110

• 2 months later...

Thanks for the review. I am going on the disney cruise in January and am looking for a beach day in both Puerto Vallarta AND Mazalan. I like the el cid review you posted. I am just searching for an all inclusive price. Also...I am debating between Dreams and Krystal for Puerto Vallarta. Dreams emailed me with a price of $75 per person. We are 4 adults and 4 kids between the ages of 9 months and 10 years old. Any suggestions. For Krystal...do they offer all inclusive rates or just pay as you go? How are the prices of the food? Do you have an email for Krystal beach?

Krystal accepts cruise=passengers, just show your cruisecard at the gate.

In general it is free, but of course you need to buy food and drinks.

Sometimes they charge US$ 20.- per person, which can be used to buy food and drinks.

Their beach isnot that great, the sea can have large waves (be careful with kids), but their pool is nice.

We have been cruising to the Mexican Riviera for the last 4 yrs and are going again in January. My wife and I did the Zipline in PV and thought it was definitely worth the price. We booked it throught the cruiseline and it $99 per person. I think it has gone up to $109pp. I have also done the ATV in PV and it was fun. Afterwards in PV we like to hang out along the Rio Cuale.

In Mazatlan depending on what you want to do there are great areas to hang out in Old Town or the Zona Dorado. If you want a beach day the Las Flores Resort is great. There is no charge to hang out on their beach or by their pools. The food is great and reasonably priced.

I have more info and photos on my blog at www.affordabletravelsolutions.blogspot.com .

Archived