Food comparison to RCCL?

TurnLeftKasey

Been on both a few times and I would have to give the nod to Carnival. Didn't really dislike anything, just would give the nod to CCL. I love RCI cruises so no bias. I do agree w/ one of the above posts, beef dishes are equally poor. CCL has better buffet, junk food (pizza, hamburgers, ffries), and desserts. Entrees were pretty equal. If you aren't looking for differences you probably won't notice.

................ On a scale of 1 -10 I would give RCCL a 6.5 and Carnival a 6. ........

The only way you are going to get gourmet food on a cruise line is to go on one of the 3 or 4 five star lines that cost more per day tan Carnival and RCCL do for a week.

Heck, to me, the food is far higher number than a 6.5 on Carnival, more like 8 and for the money I pay for a cruise the food is wonderful. I am sure not expecting 4 star but the food is pretty darn close. I am very happy with what Carnival offers.

I think some people have unreasonable expectations. Maybe when people pay more for the premium cabins they expect more. The higher price is for the cabin, not the food or cruise experience; everybody aboard gets the same food.

We have sailed twice on HAL and now twice on Carnival. HAL was much better. The food on the Fantasy in May was not good at all. The food on the Glory last week was pretty good -- but Carnival is seriously lacking in the dessert department. There is a choice between two special desserts each night -- then there is the Chcolate Melting Cake every night as an alternative. Always three or four ice cream flavors, three sherbets and a Tropical Fruit Plate. As a special dessert foodie, I find the two nightly selections are often boring. (Although the Grand Marnier Souffle on the last night was surprisingly good for mass production.) I guess the best testament to the lack of enticing desserts is the fact that I didn't gain a pound on the cruise (and I certainly didn't hit the gym while onboard!).

I have sailed Hal quite a bit and must say the desserts are more plentiful and better than Carnival. (even at lunch time, and the cookies are bigger on Hal) However I like to be able to have warm chocolate melting cake whenever I want and not just the equivalent volcano cake only if one pays for the Pinnacle Grill. I also find the cheese plate at dinner is better on Carnival. On Hal, the bites of cheese were so small it was sad.

Past 4 years I've sailed HAL (repositioning cruise from San Fran to Vancouver, RCCL (Liberty of the Seas) and CCL (Conquest).

I would rank the food for HAL and Conquest equal (very good). MAkes sense since Carnival owns HAL.

The Conquest....not so much in comparison. PRobably a step or two down from HAL AND CCL.

I just stepped off the Majesty two days ago and have been raving to my fiance about the food, he is a Chef by the way...

We have our honeymoon coming up on the Elation (Nov 15), and I have not cruised w/ CCL before, but from some people I have talked too, they say compared to Royal, Carnival food is not that good.

He has not cruised at all, and the cruise was totally my idea, obviously. Ha ha

Please convince me otherwise, tell me good stories about the food! LOL We are not expecting perfection and the best food in the world, he is not tooo critical, but as one person pointed out to me, "Compared to RCCL, Carnival's food SUCKED!"

She has me worried, but I'm hoping my CC friends will tell me otherwise :)

I found the food on RCCL to be a step down.

I also didn't like it was only available at certain hours.

Add that some things you get for free on Carnival, you are charged on RCCL, like burgers, and ice cream.

The Cafe promenade is a joke.

Last, the WJ people have some 'splaining to do. Although the layout is great, the offerings are the same crap day after day.

My favorite buffets are on the Spirit class ships. Lots of variety!

Having only been on one RCI Ship, The Mariner of the Seas, our experience is limited, but in our experience the Buffet food was better on RCI while the main dining room was far better on any Carnival ship. RCI deserts were pretty bad while Carnival's are fantastic.

but from some people I have talked too, they say compared to Royal, Carnival food is not that good.
From our experience, RCCL's food was barely edible.

Your mileage may vary.

i would say your best bet for carnival at lunch is to hit the made to order food. I found it better than the buffet, though both were good. for breakfast either do the made to order or MDR breakfast. the MDR dinner was excellent, though not 5 star type food.

Given a choice between spending twice as much for smaller cabins and inferior food and going with Carnival.... it is really a no-brainer.

We started sailing with Carnival back when all they had was the Mardi Gras, the Carnivale, and the Tropicale.... The food pretty much sucked.

I think they still have that stigma with some people.....

Fast forward.... On our last dozen or so cruises on Carnival the food has been excellent for a mass-market ship. We gave up on RCI after the mediocre food on the Splendour, and the equally mediocre food on the Jewel.

Another food thread that just cracks me up! Food Critics! I have never see so many gourmet diners as I have see on cruise critics! Every MDR and buffet is full at every meal on every cruise line! So many people running to find a 5 star restaurant once they get of the ship or can't wait to get to the airport to get some of that good and appetizing fine dining food that is offered! :rolleyes:

Archived