Paul Scally

saileyellie

He is definitely on the Epic. Just checked out his website. Funny how there is no mention on there that he is a cruise director. I found him to be virtually absent from our cruise. We didn't hear or see from him much at all. He did do his comedy show the last night but we didn't see it.

Same experience here on our cruise last May (Boston-Bermuda)...only heard him on the PA and doing his comedy stuff at one of the last shows of the week....he didn't impress me.

I am not sure we have ever had Julie as our CD. We did have an English gal about 5 years ago on the Sun. Is that the same one?

Nita

Julie is Canadian so probably not the same person. I don't know if she was on the Sun at anytime. She will be on the Spirit for another 4 weeks. Kyle will then be returning to the Spirit for another contract. Hard to keep track of everyone isn't it?:D

Nita' date=' you might be thinking of Linda Minnikin.[/color']

PE

OMG... the worst Cruise Director I've encountered on any cruise line and she was onboard the Norwegian Sun when I encountered her back in 2008 (January to be precise). Very cold woman and definitely not what a Cruise Director should be. Heck, I think my review says it all with her included in it! Anyway... getting off topic but I just wanted to throw my two cents in on that.

OMG... the worst Cruise Director I've encountered on any cruise line and she was onboard the Norwegian Sun when I encountered her back in 2008 (January to be precise). Very cold woman and definitely not what a Cruise Director should be. Heck, I think my review says it all with her included in it! Anyway... getting off topic but I just wanted to throw my two cents in on that.

I have had the misfortune to sail with her 3 times. Thank God her ACD's were really good.

PE

I found him to be virtually absent from our cruise. We didn't hear or see from him much at all.

My favorite kind of cruise director! Quiet and rarely seen!

We were surprised and not displeased to see this guy on the Spirit last year after having had him for assistant CD on the Jewel on a 2006 transatlantic. The CD on the Jewel at that time was an amazingly boring Canadian* guy--Mark? Michael? Matthew?--who loved to sing overwrought love songs slightly off key as well as to make horrifically hammy introductions that took about four times as long as they should have. Snore. Paul was something of a relief on that cruise, as he did things like host "stand up and tell your favorite joke" sessions in the Spinnaker to which he contributed his own occasionally blue material. They seem to have toned down his naughty bits since they promoted him to CD.

*not that I'm connecting "Canadian" with "boring"--it's just that his being Canadian is the only thing I can remember about him, for folks wondering who I mean.

Bwa ha ha, I wouldn't call her cold, exactly--on a Sun Panama Canal cruise she appeared to be doing her very best to hook up with Fabio Zini, the astoundingly good classical guitarist onboard. Watching him diplomatically disengage himself from her fawning presence was one of the primary forms of passenger entertainment on that cruise.

Bwa ha ha, I wouldn't call her cold, exactly--on a Sun Panama Canal cruise she appeared to be doing her very best to hook up with Fabio Zini, the astoundingly good classical guitarist onboard. Watching him diplomatically disengage himself from her fawning presence was one of the primary forms of passenger entertainment on that cruise.

Oh sure... she gives you folks entertainment on your cruise but not on ours! No fair! :rolleyes::p:D

So back to Paul Scalley... is he still hanging around on the Norwegian Epic or has he gone on vacation again?

Oh sure... she gives you folks entertainment on your cruise but not on ours! No fair! :rolleyes::p:D

So back to Paul Scalley... is he still hanging around on the Norwegian Epic or has he gone on vacation again?

He should be there until Pedro Serra takes over in mid March I believe.

PE

All these years later, the spouse occasionally entertains me with an imitation of her: "Let's have some appl-haw-haw-hawwwwwws for our next act!" She really was a character. Still is, I suppose.

• 4 weeks later...

Paul Scally was our cruise director on the EPIC for our February 12-19, 2011 Eastern Caribbean cruise. Saw him all over the ship during several functions. He was enthusiastic and tried to get cruisers involved. He hosted several game shows and events during the week as well as the EPIC tv show. I kinda like his British accent.

Paul was the CD on the Epic for our 11/13/10 sailing. We met Paul at the CC Meet and Greet. After that we seemed to see him everywhere and he always made a point of talking to us and he really seemed interested in what we liked or didn't like. He ran most of the game shows like Dating Game and Newlywed not so Newlywed. We enjoyed his type of humor and really liked his comedy show.

I suppose how much you saw him depends on what activities you like. If you just went to the main shows you wouldn't have seen much of him because the Epic does not have the CD introduce the "branded" shows (which they all are). Personally I prefer when the CD introduces the shows but that is an Epic issue not a Paul Scally issue.

• 4 months later...

I just got off the Norwegian Star, and Paul was our Cruise Director. He was AMAZING! He had a great sense of humor, and was constantly making everyone laugh. In all the activities, he incorporated every age group (although that's probably part of his job). He was so enthusiastic, and always had energy. He was really good at getting people interested in the activities. It was really fun watching him "argue" with his Assistant Cruise Director, Rob Sugar (who was also REALLY good.) The cruise was amazing, but Paul made it 10X better.

I just got off the Norwegian Star, and Paul was our Cruise Director. He was AMAZING! He had a great sense of humor, and was constantly making everyone laugh. In all the activities, he incorporated every age group (although that's probably part of his job). He was so enthusiastic, and always had energy. He was really good at getting people interested in the activities. It was really fun watching him "argue" with his Assistant Cruise Director, Rob Sugar (who was also REALLY good.) The cruise was amazing, but Paul made it 10X better.

I think we've uncovered Paul's CC screen name!

By the way, you should note that this entry by KraziiIsMe is the only posting EVER on here.

Clearly tastes in CDs can vary and one person's opinion can oftern be quite the opposite of someone else's, but Paul was CD on the Spirit when we cruised from Boston to Bermuda two years ago, and I thought he was excellent. We met briefly early in the cruise and from then on he never failed to acknowledge me. He was personable and while not the best CD we have ever seen, he was certainly more than adequate and better than many we have seen over the years.:)

Clearly tastes in CDs can vary and one person's opinion can oftern be quite the opposite of someone else's, but Paul was CD on the Spirit when we cruised from Boston to Bermuda two years ago, and I thought he was excellent. We met briefly early in the cruise and from then on he never failed to acknowledge me. He was personable and while not the best CD we have ever seen, he was certainly more than adequate and better than many we have seen over the years.:)

I think that Paul is better than "adequate". He was certainly everywhere he was supposed to be on our Boston to Bermuda run as well. He was just SO CORNY!!!!! His jokes were EMBARRASSINGLY bad!!!!!!! We also found him to be rather conceited. I mean, he's a good looking guy....just ask him!!!

my teenager got a kick out of him

and to watch him run from fwd to aft on the spirit in no time flat to get to another activity

can only imagine needing roller blades on any other ship to do the feat.

I don't think anyone could possibly be as annoying as "Karl with a K" (On Carnival Imagination) That is what he calls himself and so does all the staff...It was my first cruise and everything was great..but he just corning and very annoying..TOO PERKY!

Gee...that doesn't sound like Paul at all. He was very visible on our Oct. cruise on Epic. He chatted with us at our CC M&G and we saw him all over the ship during the week. I remember Paul when he was part of the CD staff and was working with Matt Baker on Dawn. Paul was one of the characters from The Village People and he had his shirt off. He looked REALLY good. I also saw Paul do the Fountains routine with Matt Baker's crew. He was hilarious as was Matt also.

He is definitely on the Epic. Just checked out his website. Funny how there is no mention on there that he is a cruise director. I found him to be virtually absent from our cruise. We didn't hear or see from him much at all. He did do his comedy show the last night but we didn't see it.

I am a little confused.... I was under the impression that your *ahem* friend and mine :rolleyes: Andy Steinhauser was shunned to the Epic as CD.... Can anyone clear that up for me?

Also Paul Scally was the CD for our cruise on Epic. I understand why posters claim he was invisible. For those folks that don't go to White Hot and the other "Events" and game shows, and only attend the feature entertainment would never see the CD because Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams and the others are all branded entertainment that the CD cannot introduce as on other ships where the CD introduces all the shows.

Besides which, I always caught Paul jogging about with that impish grin. BUT he always had time to stop and say hello to us.... I'd love to sail with Paul again on a non-Epic ship...

Meh... different strokes...

I am a little confused.... I was under the impression that your *ahem* friend and mine :rolleyes: Andy Steinhauser was shunned to the Epic as CD.... Can anyone clear that up for me?

Also Paul Scally was the CD for our cruise on Epic. I understand why posters claim he was invisible. For those folks that don't go to White Hot and the other "Events" and game shows, and only attend the feature entertainment would never see the CD because Blue Man Group, Cirque Dreams and the others are all branded entertainment that the CD cannot introduce as on other ships where the CD introduces all the shows.

Besides which, I always caught Paul jogging about with that impish grin. BUT he always had time to stop and say hello to us.... I'd love to sail with Paul again on a non-Epic ship...

Meh... different strokes...

When "Just Cake" wrote about Paul Scally being on Epic, it was back in Feb.

I sailed with him on Epic end of Jan./beg. of Feb. on a B2B and he was full of energy and very visible despite not introducing the shows (as others have mentioned, Epic is unique with its branded entertainment). We had previously sailed with him on the Spirit when he was ACD.

When I was on Pearl in Apr. we had Andy Steinhauser as CD, he was called to the Epic around May 1st and is still there as far as I know. Have sailed twice with Andy and thought he did a really good job.

He's got a new twitter account and you can send him questions about the Epic, events, etc.

@nclepiccd

Basically, we have had some good CDs such as Matt, John and Andy. However, there were two, both on the Majesty, different sailings. Suzie and Kandy and they were the most annoying individuals. However, they in no way impacted my cruise one way or another.

• 4 months later...

Archived