Paul Scally

saileyellie

We also just got off the Dawn with Paul and I thought he was cute and funny, and very visible. This was only my 4th cruise and I've yet to have a GREAT cruise director, but I thought he did well. He "stole" my daughter during his own show, running up toward the stage with her while yelling, "I stole the baby! I stole the baby!" so my family got a real kick out of that. He seems to enjoy interacting with the kids and always said hi when passing us on the ship.

• 3 weeks later...

I also had Paul on the Dawn. We had a wonderful time and when I remember this cruise, I will remember Paul Scally. He was everywhere and I was wondering if he slept. He was fantastic and one of the major reasons we will consider cruising again. Thanks Paul!

I think Paul is due to sign off the Norwegian Dawn fairly soon. I wish he was staying onboard the Dawn for my 11 day cruise in January. He's the only Cruise Director that I have cruised with in recent times that still works for NCL. Great guy! I've cruise with him three times and he's really personable. :)

He definitely made this year's Spring Break trip incredible on the Norwegian Epic! I missed him on the Spirit this last trip I took. :(

Paul left the Dawn last Sunday 12/4. Multiple times during the 11 days, he mentioned leaving NCL and no longer being a cruise director. Something about pursuing other avenues in his career. He was great on our cruise. The best CD we have had on our 18 cruises. One night's entertainment in the Stardust was his standup comedy show. Very entertaining. Great ad-libber.

This person is a joke. He joke are really bad. He always rude. Always smoking and drinking in first of guests. That if he ever around. He was never around. He on the Dawn. He been kicked around ships because no likes him.

Well... My two cents

Just got off the Dawn on 12/4.

Thought Scally was decent and interesting as a cruise director....but during his show he was not so good as a stand up comedian. Lots of people were walking out of his show.

This thread has some interesting thoughts posted... seems like you either love this guy ;) or you think he's really bad :eek:.

Wllinc: Have you ever been on a cruise where Paul Scally was CD? You posts only show one cruise on RCL years ago. I hope you have actually been on a cruise with him in order for you to bash him. Its just so odd that you would come back and post more than two years after your last post to say (in poor grammar) that he guy is terrible. Maybe he got much better since he was very entertaining two weeks ago. However, its all a moot point since he has now left NCL.

... seems like you either love this guy ;) or you think he's really bad :eek:.

Put me down for the latter. He was on one of my Epic cruises and I found him to be completely full of himself as did many others I talked to on the Studio lounge. I didn't find him funny or entertaining at all. No matter though as it really didn't affect my cruise experience one way or the other.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Did we ever get confirmation on whether Paul went to the Epic again as CD or if he left NCL?

Just got off the Dawn yesterday. Paul was the CD. I got the chance to speak to him Saturday night (St. Patrick's Day) for a little bit. He was always visible, talking to guests...great guy! Some guests did mention that he likes to keep conversations brief but that you could approach him at any/every event & he'd always have a chat with you.

One thing I noticed is that he associates names with faces pretty quick so you might find him knowing your name if you participate in any of his shows/activities.

I'd love to have him again as a CD on my next NCL cruise. I think he's one of the best NCL has. Hopefully he doesn't leave NCL!

I'd love to have him again as a CD on my next NCL cruise. I think he's one of the best NCL has. Hopefully he doesn't leave NCL!

Same here; we liked him on the Epic. We've also recently sailed with Julie from Canada (on the Pearl/Alaska last year) and Gary Glading (last month on the Jade) and thought they were great as well.

Glad to know he's still with NCL.

Scally was the only CD on any line that I have found to be anything other than utterly forgettable.

If you appreciate dry Brit humor you will enjoy the guy.

If you guffaw at the typical white bread cruise director jokes you probably will not.

We had Paul Scally on the Spirit a couple of years ago. He seemed to fancy himself as a comedian and even did a comedy show one night. A lot of his material was pretty lame and included fart jokes. However, my teenager thought he was hilarious!

Dave

We had Paul Scally on the Spirit a couple of years ago. He seemed to fancy himself as a comedian and even did a comedy show one night. A lot of his material was pretty lame and included fart jokes. However, my teenager thought he was hilarious!

You are right, on the freestyle daily and during one of the shows before his own, he mentioned that he is a comedian.

I'm not sure if he did it back then, but two weeks ago (our DAY 1 on the Dawn) on the Freestyle daily there was a small "about me" type of intro to the cruise director on page 1, an interview with the hotel director, Les, on page 2, and one with the captain, Captain Paul, on page 3. On the one for the cruise director it mentions that Paul Scally was once part of the London Comedy Store & one of the original voices for the gecko (side note, I never asked, but I do wonder: did that refer to the geico gecko? Does anyone know?)

I definitely agree that you need to like dry wit and humor to find him funny. He does have some good material though. For example, most guests found his bit on what happens when you flush while seated on the cruise ship toilet joke funny (I'm sure many of you have heard that joke over and over again from just about every cruise director). His bit on the jewelery and the things all tourists buy when on vacation, he included himself in this joke, was hillarious. Sometimes he made lame and cheesy jokes that are funny because of how bad they are, and at other times, I found myself shaking my head from how bad the joke was or how non-hilarious it was.

Funny you should mention your teen loving his comedy, the little ones on our cruise loved him too, especially the little girls from the kids crew- they would make him puppets and run up to him at the shows and give him hugs! The teenagers loved to bother him, and he amused them by cracking jokes with and about them. He knows how to adapt his material to all age groups, whether it be the little ones, or the adults.

If anyone ever cruises with him, my suggestion is, approach him and have a word with him. He may seem obnoxious, but if you catch him at Spinnaker, or during/after the adult only shows, and get to talk to him you'll see he's not that bad.

Of all the cruise directors I've had, I'd place him either as my third or fourth overall favorite (sorry NCL, but Carnival has some amazing people on their ships as cruise directors) but the best by far I've had on NCL. I feel that if you enjoy entertainment and love to get in on the action and have fun during a cruise, the cruise director and their staff can make a vacation more fun, or a little less enthusiastic. I've had some of the best cruise directors who are everywhere, interact with guests, and really love what they do (it shows), and I've had some of the worst, including some who run the other way to avoid speaking to guests, some who adore hearing their own voice over the ship's PA system, and some who are stuck up/snobby.

I also had Paul on the Dawn. We had a wonderful time and when I remember this cruise, I will remember Paul Scally. He was everywhere and I was wondering if he slept. He was fantastic and one of the major reasons we will consider cruising again. Thanks Paul!

I wondered the same thing! I left Spinnaker at 3 am the last night/morning of the cruise & he was still hanging around with the entertainment team. I wake up Sunday morning and there he was, bright and early, doing debarkation.

Always smoking and drinking in first of guests.

I never saw him smoking. Maybe he quit? He did have a drink, but then again, it was St. Patrick's day and it was a St. Patrick's party with the cruise director & their staff... I've seen the crew on other lines who shall remain nameless ;) and they drink way more than I ever saw him drink. Especially those ships with piano bars! The social crew on a certain ship I went on last year had a little routine going: they would get to piano bar around 11, for some drinking and singing, then heading to the dance lounge around 2 am.

Archived