VA - VD cabins on Oosterdam

cbeachrose

I am interested in what others say on this too...I booked the VD which was a ba or maybe a bb at the time....anyway....I booked it because of the midship location...as i was looking at the HAL brochure for about the thousandth time..(we leave Saturday)..... I was also wondering why VA were more money as they were mostly towards the ends...I realize they are on a higher deck..but I was always under the impression that midship was the best location??????? we are in cabin 5077....

The B verandah cabins forward and aft have somewhat larger verandahs than the otherwise identical cabins in the indented midsection. The verandah width is the same on all the side cabins but the depth is 12 to 18 inches less on the cabins in the indented section - check the deck plan to see what I mean.

MAny people prefer the midsection for less motion, but on the Vista class ships you do lose some verandah square footage because of the ship design.

Also, the verandah cabins on the R and S class ships are larger than the verandah cabins on the Vistas. But Vista verandah cabins are still comfortable.

The O is a beautiful ship and I think you'll enjoy it.

Well I'm glad someone clarified that, we booked a VD guarantee and received a VB which looks like it's in a worse position than any of the VD cabins, I was wondering how to convince the cruiseline to give us a downgrade :)

Well I'm glad someone clarified that, we booked a VD guarantee and received a VB which looks like it's in a worse position than any of the VD cabins, I was wondering how to convince the cruiseline to give us a downgrade :)

Maybe if you book an Ocean View cabin you can get an "upgrade" :) to a VD ???

Also, are some of the VD/VC obstructed views? Or maybe with lifeboats blocking the view?

That could be one reason that VD in the midships are a lower price... (but I don't know the ship)

Thanks for the info, everyone. Maybe I'll call the TA and ask to remain in a VD cabin (don't like that description either!). We can live with a smaller balcony if that's the only difference. Is there much movement on the ends of the ship? Our TA said that that wouldn't seem to be the case since the suites are located there. What do you think? My father who was an avid cruiser always said to stay midship. Does Father Know Best? :)

I would stay with your VD (or BA or whayever they are calling it now). We bookeda VC guarantee on the "O" and lucked out with a great cabin on deck 4, but cabins 4001-4042(I think) have solid steel railings instead of clear because they are near the bow--I worried for months that we would get one of them. The VDs look like they are in a great location.

Sailed on the Oosterdam twice. Once in 4070 (Category G--obstructed view due to lifeboats) and once in 6020 (category VA). Next time we are in cabin 6074 (SS category). Each year we are moving up!

Anyway, I think the reason the VD cabins are less expensive, despite their great mid-ship location, is the possibility that the lifeboats will have to be dropped (at tender ports). This is a LOUD process that starts early in the morning. I think the VD cabins (on deck 5) are right above all the machinery to make the lifeboats drop. I don't know anything about the VD verandahs being slightly smaller. Hope this helps!!

Lisa

We just got off the Oosterdam today. We were booked in a VD room, #5083. We had lifeboats on the level below us that were never moved. Thus we had total quiet on tender mornings. The tenders are on located below the rooms to the aft of the glass elevators. On our cruise, the tenders were used in Cabo and PV.

Archived