Adventures on the Carnival Conquest… a review of the Sep 26 7 day cruise to Cozumel

*Mach*

Mach great review on Sailaway. We were in Alfred's Bar for Muster. We met Firefly and her sister Karen there. We were talking to them and a few other passengers. We did not realize we were sailing away until it was too late. On the bright side we may have converted some on thse passengers into Crazies.

Everyone enjoys dinner, or so it would seem, and it’s even better when it’s enjoyed with good friends and that certainly was the case on this cruise.

Our assigned dining room was the Monet and the table was 364, a six top away from the wall but nicely located. We shared the table with Robb, known as Chiefie on the Crazies, his wife Marj, Keith and his wife Elaina. All the tables surrounding us were occupied by our folks. There’s not much more that one could ask for… other than a menu.

CraziesSep26075.jpg

CraziesSep26076.jpg

CraziesSep26077.jpg

We had three members of our wait team. Leroy, the head waiter for our table, was a joy. Extraordinarily attentive and magically there when anyone needed even the smallest thing. The assistant waiter for our table was Demitri, from Russia on his first contract, first cruise. He appeared to be everywhere throughout the day. He’d always stop and chat about this or that… wonderful guy. I never got to chat with the third member of our team but from what I could tell he was just as busy and efficient as the other two.

There are certain things that I look forward to on the menu. I have Black Tiger Shrimp Cocktail every evening. I have Escargot when it’s available and the Flat Iron Steak at least once. All this is preceded, of course, by a Bombay Sapphire martini served very cold, very dry.

As this was our first dinner I went with standbys… the shrimp, a Caesar salad and the Flat Iron. The shrimp, as always, appeared before me nearly icy cold before a generous portion of cocktail sauce garnished with a lemon wedge and thin slices of carrot cut on a diagonal. Lovely and delicious.

The Caesar Salad is a delicate affair of arched leaves of Romaine drizzled with that wonderfully tart dressing highlighted by anchovy fillets. Now, don’t turn your nose up at the anchovies… if you’ve EVER had Caesar salad you ate anchovies. Yep… it’s part and parcel of the dressing. For that matter, if you’ve ever used Worcestershire sauce you’ve had anchovies. Those little buggers are everywhere!!!

My martini arrived at the same time as my salad and it was a welcome sight. Now, mind you, I build a mean martini but it’s so much fun to have someone else make it and get it right. Much to Stitch’s delight it came adorned with three olives. She, you see, is the recipient of all olives that marinate in my martinis.

The Flat Iron steak appeared with Three Peppercorn Sauce on the side. If you’ve ever tried to make this sauce you probably gave up after reading the recipe. It’s got a dozen or so ingredients and seemingly takes hours to construct. It’s a perfect foil for any cut of beef that has hearty flavor. My steak was cooked exactly as I requested… rare and was quite flavorful but somewhat on the sinewy side causing me to give up on it a bit more than half way through. No matter, there were plenty of grazing options available should I get hungry later on.

We excused ourselves and went back to our cabin to change into something to run around in for the rest of the evening. It was evident that Augustina had been there… the cabin was spotless, not the way we left it, and one of our towels had taken on a bit of additional character…

CraziesSep26080.jpg

From there we made our way to the Lido Deck where we found a number of our folks at what became the Crazies table or tables depending on the number present at the time. Everyone was universally happy. We were on the Conquest, the conditions were gorgeous and not much could make it better. Gazing out the starboard side windows at the sea made me understand just how lucky I am… cruising on a beautiful ship, a wonderful woman at my side surrounded by friends. Brilliant, simply brilliant.

The Welcome Aboard show kicked off at 10 PM in the Toulouse Lautrec lounge so we headed that way. Being sidetracked a few times caused us to miss the beginning of the show with the huge inflatable Carnival ship but no matter. Chris Jefferson, our cruise director, bounded out onto stage ready to work… ready to make this the best cruise possible. I had spoken to him earlier in the day about a few items and was looking forward to meeting him in person. Although I’ve been in touch with him dozens of times to arrange Meet & Mingles for Cruise Critic roll calls we’ve never had the pleasure of being face to face.

I have to hand it to Chris; he uses few of the old standbys that most cruise directors use year in and year out. He’s much more spontaneous than most and seems to have boundless energy. I could tell he would be a pleasure.

There were the typical audience participation things with a number of good laughs at the expense of some of the passengers but no one minded; it was all fun and we were on a cruise!!!

With the show drawing to a close our energy levels were plummeting to match. We made our way back to our cabin to be greeted by what I was sure was a boom box from the cabin just forward. Around midnight, which was only minutes away, the music died and we were asleep shortly thereafter.

It had been a gorgeous first day on a magnificent ship. No one could possibly want more...

Host Mach,

I noticed that some of the guys wore ball caps to dinner. :eek: I heard the dining room staff ask guests to remove their hats at dinner. Don't they do that on the Conquest?

The first night is pretty much anything goes in the MDR as a great many folks had not yet gotten or just received their luggage.

The dress changes significantly the next evening...

;)

That looks like a greater than 750mL bottle of White Zin on that table. Someone has some splaining to do:

CraziesSep26075.jpg

Interesting observation and you're right.

I don't know if it was purchased on board or not but I suspect no.

After canvasing our group it appears that only five bottles of 1.5 liter wine were confiscated and that during check in. They were told that the bottle size exceeded the 750 ml specified and the vino would be returned to them at the end of the voyage.

:)

Maybe we need to spred the word :)

I heard red is a good color on stitch... even by the dozen ... or so.

I think your right, spred the word!!!

lol!!!She has the perfect skin tone for red.:D

Sure hope she isn't too RED faced to share??:confused::p

Archived