airlift and passport

AmyLee

Actually, it's a little more common than you imply. It's not an unusual circumstance.

I still do not understand the need for this discussion at all.

Who still thinks it wise to travel outside the country without being in possession of a valid passport? :confused: WHY would you do that? :confused:

The discussion is one of a question that was posed to me and I could not answer, I thought it was a good question and one that has probably happened in the past so I wanted to know how it played out, btw I agree you should have a passport but I also believe if you want to take the chance to save a couple bucks and go without one that's up to you. as long as you know the risk and are willing to take it, go for it

In this case, you would be so ill or injured that they have to get you to a hospital to save your life; tomorrow would be too late. So the passport is not an issue until it is time to get from the hospital to home.

I agree. Good answer!

The difference being that Darcie's Mom was stable, and cleared by a doctor to be either hospitalized locally or charter a medical transport.

What does that have to do with having or not having a passport for emergency evacuation?

What about a passport card, would that help get emergency permission? Again this is just for curiosity, I know your not allowed to fly with them but I wonder if they would work for emergency situations

Actually, my sister had both with her, and the Immigration officer said that in a case of emergency, the passport card would have sufficed. Thanks for asking, as I did not remember that part.

What does that have to do with having or not having a passport for emergency evacuation?

The severity of need of the passport is inverse to the amount of documentation required. A stable medical condition is less critical than an imminent cause of death. One type of transport requires a passport or other documentation, the other does not. Having a passport with you takes that worry out of the equation.

Actually, my sister had both with her, and the Immigration officer said that in a case of emergency, the passport card would have sufficed. Thanks for asking, as I did not remember that part.

Thank you, I think I have the info I was looking for, I will pass it along, and Thanks to everybody that helped me with this

OK, everyone calm down a minute. A few facts are in order here:

1. Ship officers do NOT routinely go to your room and get the passport out of the safe 'just because you did not check back onboard'. They WILL do this if a) you call and ask them to or b) the local country requires your passport on your person. Caribbean destination do not require (b).

I am not sure if you meant medical transport back to the US or medevac, but the two situations are handled a bit differently depending on nature of the emergency and the country(s) involved.

Actually, the regulations on ships leaving passengers behind without passports has changed in quite a few countries this past year.

Most countries in Europe will no longer allow the ship to depart without a passenger until the Captain and Port Agent can guarantee that the passenger's passport is ashore as well.

Last summer my ship had many delayed departures in Europe while we routinely searched passenger cabins for passports.

Many countries in the Caribbean are now following the same program this year.

Archived