Passport waiting times

party-of-5-ny

My MIL lives in Ohio. She applied for her first passport on Friday Sept 24 and received it Sat Oct 2! But don't think this is the norm. I imagine time of year matters a lot.

My timing was quite like that with a renewal/name change, perhaps even a little quicker. I paid for the expedited service, since I waited too long to feel comfortable relying on standard processing times. For best value, apply long in advance of your trip and don't worry about the timing. Otherwise, consider the expedited fee as a "procrastinators' tax" like I did and learn better planning for next time. ;)

Only you know how comfortable you are cutting it close to the deadlines. Either your stress or your money is worth more to you - choose appropriately. :D

I believe the time of year matters more people travel around christmas and during the summer/spring break so I assume closer to those it takes longer.

We have 6 in our party just applied for them today and the woman said we should have them in 2-3 weeks 4 at the latest. we'll see what happens.

Has anyone recently applied for and received their passports? (First time issued).

I'm wondering how long it will take. It says 4-6 weeks on the website, but I know people have been getting them quicker than that.

Thanks.

We applied in August and received ours in September. Took about four weeks.

• 2 weeks later...

I applied on the last day before the price went up. But about 2 weeks after I applied at the post office, they sent me forms to fill out because they needed more identity. Sent the forms in with as much information as I could remember, took about a month but finally got it so it can take awhile if they need more information.

Archived