VNP and Akaka Falls Doable in One Day?

YoungRestlessOne

DH and I will be on the POA sailing 10/30, and we have one day in Hilo (8:00 to 6:00 I believe). DH loves volcanoes, so we are renting a car through Thrifty and planning to drive to do as much of VNP as possible. I would also like to drive the four-mile stretch of seaside road that's supposed to be very picturesque on the way to Akaka Falls and see the falls as well.

So I'm wondering...can all of this be done in the time frame we have? How far away is Akaka Falls from VNP? How much of VNP should we reasonably expect to see and still be able to see the Falls? Enough time to drive the Chain of Craters Road and see the Thurston Lava Tube?

Any advice or perspective you all can give me is much appreciated!

We did Hilo with Rickys Tours and we did the following:

*Banyan Drive

*Liliuokalani Garden

*Akaka Falls

*Mau Na Loa Macadamia Nut Co.

*Akatsuka Orchid Garden

*Richardson Ocean Beach Park (black sand beach)

Volcano National Park Tour

*Steam Vents

*Jaggar Museum

*Halemaumau Crater

*1982-Lava Flow

*Keanakakoi Crater

*Thurston Lava Tube

Kilauea Iki Crater

So it is possible to do both in one day.

Is it possible? Yes but if DH loves volcanoes, he may want to spend more time at VNP. For example, it doesn't sound like Ricky's Tours goes down the Chain of Craters Road, which takes about an additional 30 min each way. So if you want to go there, you may not have time to go to Akaka Falls.

According to Google Maps, Akaka Falls is 1 hour and 20 min from VNP and 30 min from Hilo.

By the way, I wanted to mention that we're planning to go t Rainbow Falls first, which is closer to Hilo, and then go to VNP. Like your husband, the volcano is the main attraction for us so we'd like to spend more time in VNP, rather than go to other places. We're renting a car so that if we do finish VNP early than we have the option of going to other places at our own pace.

We just got back and we did it no problem. We drove most of the way down chain of craters and did see most of what VNP offers. We didn't linger very long in each spot, but we enjoyed everything you mentioned and still had 1.5 hours to spare. I do recommend you get off the ship as early as possible. We were on the 1st shuttle bus to Thrifty which saved at least 30 minutes or so. Have a great time.

We are booked with Ricky and I am looking forward to having a day to let someone else do the driving! It is the only port I do not currently have a rental car reserved. However, when time is tight sometimes it is better to let someone who is experienced and familiar with the area get you from one place to the other. That is how we plan on maximizing our short time in Hilo.:)

Driving around all the POA stops was so easy with the rental cars. I am not usually one who would go that route, but I was so happy we did. The freedom to come and go and stay as long or short of a time was a very nice thing. Driving from Hilo to VNP and Akaka Falls and the 4 mile scenic drive was so easy. I would maybe rethink your day, but that naturally is up to you.

Driving around all the POA stops was so easy with the rental cars. I am not usually one who would go that route, but I was so happy we did. The freedom to come and go and stay as long or short of a time was a very nice thing. Driving from Hilo to VNP and Akaka Falls and the 4 mile scenic drive was so easy. I would maybe rethink your day, but that naturally is up to you.

Nope! I appreciate the input and I am aware that the driving is easy in all the islands. However, when I see a tour operator recommended as highly as Ricky for a small group I will gladly let the other guy do the driving.:D That way I will not have to worry about where we are going or how to get there - and still see it all. As I mentioned, we do have rentals already reserved in all the other ports, so we will not be taking tours all the time.

Another place I would take a tour (if we choose to do that) is the Road to Hana in Maui. I don't care how easy it is and how many people do it. I live in Arizona and I do not like mountain driving. I do it when I have to around here, but do not want to do it on vacation. :eek:

Did you drive down Chain of Craters Road? I'm wondering if I can do that AND make it to Akaka Falls, not just settle for Rainbow Falls.

Thanks in advance!

From all the research I've been doing reading the posts on CC over the past 6 mths in preparing for my trip next Mar I've determined that Akaka Falls is best seen early in the morning so we will be going there 1st and then to VNP and then Chain of Craters Rd (if time permits). Depending on what time of the year you go I've been reading recent posts that Rainbow Falls hasn't been too great lately due to less rainfall than they normally get in the earlier part of the year. During the rainy season Rainbow Falls is also supposed to be better seen in the early morning and this is actually located between the port and Akaka Falls. Hope this helps.

Agree with the above comments. I was trying to load this info in my earlier post but timed out by CC.

Rainbow Falls is too dry, hence Ricky took the longer route to view Akaka Falls. Agree that the AM viewing is better cus we saw Akaka in the PM and it was in the shady side.

Cruising Goddess, We went most of the way down the Chain of Craters and as it turned out, we could have easily gone all the way down and still had time left over. We were done with Akaka Falls by 2PM. We did get a really early start and were in our car by 8:30 or so. We wanted to go to Akaka and the 4 mile scenic drive and were afraid we would not have enough time and did not go all the way down Chain of Craters. If I was doing it now, I would have gone all the way. We didn't, but we did not regret it. Hawaii is so beautiful wherever you end up and we just hit a beach area after Akaka in that area. I don't remember the name as it was not a very famous or popular beach, but it was beautiful there.

We went to VNP, visitors center, watched the film, listened to the ranger talk, spent probably 30 min at Jagger Museum, stopped at the steam vents, stopped at Thurston Lava Tube and went through to the end, stopped at Devastation Trail and hiked and took pictures, stopped at a couple of craters along Chain of Craters Road and took pictures, drove to the end of Chain of Craters Road and took pictures of the sea arch and the cliffs. THEN, we walked down the road (1/2 mile?) to the point where the lava crosses the road and hiked some more and took more pictures. We then drove back up to a picnic spot and ate lunch and left the park. THEN, we drove to Akaka Falls and had a lovely time there enjoying the view and drove back to Thrifty. We had probably 30 min-1 hour left but didn't want to be late.

We didn't try to do the 4 mile scenic route although we would have had time, I'm sure.

If you wanted more time for Rainbow Falls or the scenic route, just spend less time doing the things we did :). But we completely enjoyed our time!!!!

Hope this helps!

Cruising Goddess, We went most of the way down the Chain of Craters and as it turned out, we could have easily gone all the way down and still had time left over. We were done with Akaka Falls by 2PM. We did get a really early start and were in our car by 8:30 or so. We wanted to go to Akaka and the 4 mile scenic drive and were afraid we would not have enough time and did not go all the way down Chain of Craters. If I was doing it now, I would have gone all the way. We didn't, but we did not regret it. Hawaii is so beautiful wherever you end up and we just hit a beach area after Akaka in that area. I don't remember the name as it was not a very famous or popular beach, but it was beautiful there.

Did you pack a lunch? Where did you stop to eat? Could you tell me more about the 4 mile scenic drive? Where is it? I thought I've done all my research but here I go again changing things! :eek: Would you recommend doing Akaka Falls before or after VNP?

We went to VNP, visitors center, watched the film, listened to the ranger talk, spent probably 30 min at Jagger Museum, stopped at the steam vents, stopped at Thurston Lava Tube and went through to the end, stopped at Devastation Trail and hiked and took pictures, stopped at a couple of craters along Chain of Craters Road and took pictures, drove to the end of Chain of Craters Road and took pictures of the sea arch and the cliffs. THEN, we walked down the road (1/2 mile?) to the point where the lava crosses the road and hiked some more and took more pictures. We then drove back up to a picnic spot and ate lunch and left the park. THEN, we drove to Akaka Falls and had a lovely time there enjoying the view and drove back to Thrifty. We had probably 30 min-1 hour left but didn't want to be late.

We didn't try to do the 4 mile scenic route although we would have had time, I'm sure.

If you wanted more time for Rainbow Falls or the scenic route, just spend less time doing the things we did :). But we completely enjoyed our time!!!!

Hope this helps!

Thanks, annecolorgreen. I'd love to walk to where the lava crosses the road too. Would you recommend doing Akaka Falls before or after VNP?

The 4-Mile Scenic Route is just a few miles outside of Hilo and is on the way to Akaka Falls. There is a sign on the highway telling you where to turn. You do have to be looking for it....as there is no warning that it is coming up. It is a winding road that goes off to the right of the highway and then dumps you right back onto the highway. The entrance to the Botannical Gardens is along this road. We take all of our guests along this route whenever we go to Akaka Falls. It really shows all of the lush beauty that Hilo is known for. It will only take a few extra minutes (perhaps 15 or 20) of your time. There are a couple of places where you can pull over to get some fabulous photos. Stopping to tour the gardens would take much more of your time....perhaps save that for another day and time! But, do not miss the scenic route!

The 4-Mile Scenic Route is just a few miles outside of Hilo and is on the way to Akaka Falls. There is a sign on the highway telling you where to turn. You do have to be looking for it....as there is no warning that it is coming up. It is a winding road that goes off to the right of the highway and then dumps you right back onto the highway. The entrance to the Botannical Gardens is along this road. We take all of our guests along this route whenever we go to Akaka Falls. It really shows all of the lush beauty that Hilo is known for. It will only take a few extra minutes (perhaps 15 or 20) of your time. There are a couple of places where you can pull over to get some fabulous photos. Stopping to tour the gardens would take much more of your time....perhaps save that for another day and time! But, do not miss the scenic route!

Thanks for the info! Would you say that Google Maps is accurate in saying that Akaka Falls is 30 minutes from Hilo and 1 hour and 20 min from VNP?

Those estimates are a little on the "safe" side. I would think you could do those drives well within those times, but they give you at least an idea of driving times. Hilo to Akaka Falls depends on how long you stop at the scenic spot along the 4-mile route. I also forgot to mention that there is a "stand" called "What's Shakin" at the end of the scenic route. They make some very nice smoothies, etc. and also have some delicious baked goods. It is a great place for a quick snack....so leave a little time if you are in the mood for something like that.

Those estimates are a little on the "safe" side. I would think you could do those drives well within those times, but they give you at least an idea of driving times. Hilo to Akaka Falls depends on how long you stop at the scenic spot along the 4-mile route. I also forgot to mention that there is a "stand" called "What's Shakin" at the end of the scenic route. They make some very nice smoothies, etc. and also have some delicious baked goods. It is a great place for a quick snack....so leave a little time if you are in the mood for something like that.

Thanks so much for the info!! It sounds fantastic!!

CG, There is a big blue sign that says scenic drive. It is about 8 or 9 miles up Route 19 North of Hilo. You will easily see it if you are even paying a little bit of attention for it. It is on the way to Akaka and only about 10 minutes to akaka from there once you complete the scenic drive.

I would do VNP first. When we got there it was empty, when we were leaving all the tour buses were coming in and some of the things to see where getting pretty crowded.

We brought sandwiches off the ship most everyday. We brought aluminum foil and a little cooler type bad and made ham and turkey sandwiches every morning from the Aloha cafe. ( Buffet ) You are allowed to do this on POA. Carribean cruises don't allow this, although we have done it. We ate our lunch at Akaka sitting on the grass under a tree before we did the 10 minute or so hike to see the falls and all the greenery on the hike. Finding a nice place to stop and eat lunch is no problem. We also purchased 1.5 bottles of water from ABC stores along the way. Brought a few on in Honolulu and bought a few more in random spots. I think they were only .89 each. We even smuggled a 3 liter box of wine bubble wrapped in our check in luggage upon embarking. Nice drinking on our aft balcony cabin. We did purchase bottles of wine most nights in the specialty dining rooms.

I thought Akaka Falls was just super. Rainbow Falls paled in its comparison. As stated, you need to be at Rainbow falls early morning, or you will not see a rainbow. I think Akaka falls is something like 5-700 feet high. Majestic, to say the least. When we were there a few years ago(land tour-not ship) so we did have loads of time, there was an old man in the parking lot making palm baskets with palm birds in them. I bought one for 10.00, and we look at it every day. That was probably 10 yrs. ago. Still beautiful. We also did VNP, with a Roberts tour, that was also great.

Archived