Suggestions for family with older teens

Miss Jolly

We are an Aussie family who loves cruising together. :DWe love that happy balance between family time and independent time whilst travelling to different destinations with only unpacking once. We have cruised full Panama Transit on Coral Princess, 49 Days on 3 B2B on Holland America Rotterdam throughout Europe and Bangkok to Alaska on Diamond Princess. We are very happy with the level of service and facilities on board Princess cruises and so would like to maintain this. We usually make the most of every minute on our vacation, using lots of on board activities and also do as much sightseeing in port as possible. We prefer independent tours with just our family or a small CC group.

We have had a big shock this year as I am now battling cancer and currently undergoing heavy chemotherapy which I hope will conclude at the end of November. I am looking at planning a family vacation for when I am feeling better - a bit of positive therapy never goes astray.;) It is really early days so I am unsure when I can travel or what I will be able to do. At this stage I am thinking the ship may be more the attraction than the itinerary as the heavy sightseeing of the past seems a little daunting at this stage. I am afraid that the ships we have down here in Australia are usually the older and smaller ones so I hope to be able to cope with flights and head to the Northern Hemisphere.I guess we are a bit too spoiled!:p

DH is 47 and I am 50. My teens have always loved Teen Club but my son is now 18 and will be too old - much to his disappointment.(because we have taken longer cruises, teen clubs have always been small in number so quite an intimate friendship group could function) I have heard that this is a tricky age to travel with so am thinking of the active larger Royal Carribbean ships. My daughter is 17. We're not thrilled with an overcrowded feel so am interested in the ambience and practicality of such large ships. We have always been very happy with Princess Cruises but not sure if they will cater for my older teens. There seems so much more for them on board the Royal Carribbean ships.I am thinking Diamond Princess is probably the smallest size ship that is most appropriate at this stage.

The family enjoyed our stopover in Waikiki after Diamond Princess so I am also curious about the cruises around Hawaii - they would also provide a shorter, less expensive flight from Australia.

As I have said, it is early days yet but I would love to hear any ideas/suggestions - even for resorts that you may think appropriate for our age group. I would really love to have a fun, special holiday with my family. MY son is heading off to The Navy next year so it may be the last chance for us to share such an experience.

I know that this question is a bit like "how long is a piece of string?" but I have a lot of time on my hands at the moment so I can read as much advice as you can throw at me. Thanks:o

Jen

You will find the larger RCI ships to be so well designed that you won't feel there are crowds aboard at all. The only time I've ever felt the masses was when a show lets out, and everyone is leaving at once.

Your kids are at the age where a "kids club" won't interest them overmuch...they'll do their own thing....probably hanging by the pool to check out the opposite sexes, or at the sports deck...

On RCI, there really is something for everyone.

Good luck with your treatments....and enjoy your cruise planning....that's the most fun part of cruising!!!! (Well, almost!)

• 3 weeks later...

Guess what everyone - I went to the oncologist today and she is encouraging me to book this trip for January/February although DS wants me to avoid his Navy Cadet camp timing of January 15-22. We will need to break the journey from Sydney to Florida somewhere. I will reallly have to get into my research mood quickly but "chemo brain" certainly makes it much more difficult to sift through the info. I sure could do with any helpful advice. I am wondering whether we should make the trip a combination of experiences - one section to Southern Carribbean for interesting ports for DH (so which ship please, cruise length etc?) and then finish on a mega ship for just crazy fun!We usually conserve money on cabin selection and opt for two obstructed cabins - one for our teens and one for us as we usually don't spend much time in the cabin. However, with my illness I am thinking that maybe we should at least get a balcony for us so that I can take rest periods in privacy but out in the fresh air. Again, I would appreciate any suggestions here.With expensive flights to consider, pricing/value advice re cabins will be a huge help. I have chemo tomorrow but hope to spend many hours later in the week researching so I would appreciate any advice that comes my way. I have just turned 50. DH is 47, DS is 18 and DD is 17 so I would also love to hear of families with similar ages taking any similar cruises around the same time so that may help in our actual timing - I don't want the kids to be the only ones their age on board as has happened to them in the past. Wow - I have had such a lift in my spirits today!:)

Jen

You might consider actually getting on a ship in either Los Angeles or San Diego and sailing through the Panama Canal to either Fort Lauderdale or Miami. The sailings are 14 or 15 days and there are some real bargains right now. Cruise lines include Princess, Holland America, Norweign and Celebrity. This would give you the relaxation and the DH the southern Car. ports. I have been wishing that my son was not tied up with classes right now so we could go - we are considering Feb. ourselves. Best of luck.

Happy to hear that you are being encouraged to get out and about sooner rather than later! Had my last chemo treatment towards the end of June, 2010 - and managed to get through a cross-country move the last week of July! Once the treatment stops, I hope you feel better more quickly than you you can imagine right now. I was fortunate enough to be pretty much back to normal a month later. Maybe you could plan on the less strenuous shore excursions and still get out and about?

I don't have any advice or suggestions for your cruise, but am interested in seeing your responses since I am traveling with DH, and two DD (19 and 17) in July, 2011 and am a little concerned about how they will entertain themselves. Most USA kids (like mine) will be in school in January and February - which could affect the numbers of older teens on the ships you are considering.

Whatever you choose, I hope you have a wonderful time! Good luck to you!

Cathy

• 2 months later...

Archived