Just off the Freedom...

annf

I just booked this exact same cruise yesterday for my wife's 40th birthday in Oct 2011 also will be our 1st cruise:). Is there a lot to do at or near the ports or is it better to pick an excursion from the Carnival website or the ship itself? We have been to Key West a couple times so we know what things to do there but I know nothing about the Cayman Islands or Jamaica. Also is a lot of the food and drinks (not alcohol of course) included with the cruise?

I rarely book shore excursions from the ship - check the boards for your destinations to see who recommends which private tour operator. The one time I would suggest booking through the ship is if you want to do something like the ruins on the mainland when docked in Cozumel. In that instance, the ship will wait for you - if you go on your own and are late - you will be flying to the next port.

There is TON of food......the fish and chips are great. Yummy pizza, buffets, sushi, the main dining room, room service......all included.

Well...back to Monday afternoon.

We finished our walking tour of Key West and headed back to the ship. Quick lines to reboard and were showered, changed and out onto my balcony for sail away. There was an enormous yacht in port with a wedding party. I was hoping to catch sight of the bride before we pulled out but they must have been waiting for sunset and she never appeared.

Monday night seas would get a little rough - enough to toss you into an elevator wall if you weren't paying attention. None of our party gets seasick but there were quite a few people looking a little green that night.

Monday night I played Bingo. The woman who bought the ticket in front of me - and who then sat beside me - won the pot :( Great luck for her and typical of my gaming luck all week.

Daughter's bf and I both tried our luck at the blackjack tournament. He almost made the finals, I was out in 3 hands. Notice a trend here?

I also went to the Carnivalaire Challenge in the Victoriana lounge. Haven't laughed that hard in a long time. The main challenge was taking one of the Carnival Coins.....the ones you win for playing games......shoving it up the backside of your pants and shuffling to the end of the stage with it there. The players then had to turn around and without looking, drop the coin into a DOD glass. Sounds juvenile, but it was hysterically funny.

We all tried to find a hot tub that night - not many were hot. Most bordered on room temperature and a few were outright cold. I finally found one at the aft end of the Lido buffet and spent a couple hours hanging out with a whole crew and laughing quite a bit. The main group was 5 20 something military guys - all shipping out to Afghanistan at the end of the cruise. They were determined to have a great time and were well on their way to accomplishing that goal.

Too soon it was time to head off for a little balcony time and some much needed sleep.

Tuesday was a sea day. Slept in late. Grabbed breakfast on the lido deck and discovered the peace and quiet of the Serenity area. I was armed with a towel, my kindle and a gigantic bottle of water. Great way to spend the morning hours.

After meeting up with the kids for lunch, we again went our seperate ways with plans to meet for dinner. Did a little shopping, more time in Serenity and back to the room to prep for our first formal night.

Pictures, dinner, more pictures and some time in Habana rounded out the 1st sea day.

Wednesday morning I was up in time to see the sunrise as we pulled into Grand Cayman. Unfortunately there wasn't much sun. It was cloudy, misting rain and we had about 6-8 ft seas. Seas being that rough meant that we anchored off the far side of the island and tendered in there. From there, it was a 25 minute cab ride into Georgetown.

I had never been to Grand Cayman and was looking forward to our private excursion to the reef for snorkeling and Sting Ray City. Mother nature had other plans. All ocean based excursion - ship and private - were cancelled due to the stormy seas. We spent the day walking around, did a little shopping and took a cab out to 7 mile beach for lunch. Little bit of time playing in the huge wave - and fighting the undertow - and it was time to head back to the ship. Tired but disappointed. I had looked forward to Sting Ray City for ages.......guess I will have to get back to Cayman at some point. Now I will say, the time we spent in Georgetown shopping was less than perfect. The shop keepers were friendly but the majority of people we saw on the street were bordering on outright rude. Living in FL, I know when the snowbirds come for the winter - those of us who live here can't wait for spring so they go away. This is what it felt like in Georgetown and I guess I have now learned a lesson on how to treat tourists :)

Wednesday night we tried the piano bar - none of us cared for the piano player. I do like country music - but there is something a little odd about a man with a German accent who says his name is Bob and who sings everything with a fake texas twang. I think we lasted 2 songs - when he started playing Georgia (one of my favorite songs) we retreated!

Late night comedy show with a great ventriloquist. Can't recall his name and don't have the funtimes in front of me. He was extremely funny but it is absolutely an adult show (and not for those offended by language).

After the show it was time to find a hot tub for a bit and then off to bed as we were docking in Ocho Rios at 7:30.

I'll stop here for now. I loved the stop in Ocho Rios and it will take a nice long post to tell all about it. More tomorrow night. Until then - here are some pictures from Cayman.

Pictures loaded to another post as they were vanishing.

6 night (Oct 3-9) to Key West, Grand Cayman and Ocho rios, Jamaica. Will try to get around to a review and pictures....but in the meantime - what a great week!

For those who question going to Jamaica - Go! We LOVED it. To me, it was far better than Grand Cayman.

Any questions - ask away.....

thanks for a great review

Archived