Queen Victoria TA Posh but not unfriendly?

armfool

Its a few years since we sailed in the QM and the old QE2. We enjoyed both on the 7day TAs. Has the ambience changed at all eg has the dress code relaxed a bit the same as other cruise lines? eg on Ball nights do the guests wear costumes to go with say "black & White"?

We enjoy some formality but not to excess but do not want to look out of place. :):rolleyes:

I found my QV TA very friendly and quite posh - in a nice people 'making an effort to dress well' sort of way - rather than being snooty - she's a very friendly ship and a lot of QE2 fans prefer her to QM2 - being quite a bit smaller. Sail! Enjoy!

Have only been on QV once (going again next year) Have done quite a few trips on QM2

so here is my personal (only personal) take.

Day time is much like other ships, clothes tend to be casual, however there are no games around the pool such as "hairy chests" or "greasy poles", instead people go to lectures, read, play trivia, go to planeterium etc. - and eat and chat

Night most people follow the code, not by eleaborate ball gowns (packing and flying did aways with these) but by wearing long or midcalf "evening" or "cocktail" dresses for females, tux or dark suits for men for Formal nights, for semi men wear dark suits and their partners wear long/cocktail type dress (less glitzy than formal night) or chiffon type pants with glitzy tops.

Elegant causual means a jacket for men, and an attractive dress or evening type pants suit for women.

Casual at night does not on Cunard mean wearing a sweatshirt and jeans, or tank top and jeans for either sex. (though of course these are acceptable during the day.)

Balls, these are rather a misnaming, the "ball" does not start until approx 9.45p.m in the Queens room, few have a costume due to flying restrictions. weight etc

Wearing Black and White is easy of course, for the so called Ascot night I as a female wear a chiffon chemise type dress with a few sequins and a matching stole and bag. For the rest it is dress up evening wear (always a chemise type as I am very senior)I rely on glitzy necklaces and stoles to add the glitter . In fact I often wear same dress for formal and semi relying on the "glitter" to add to or tone down the style and yes I do wear same dress more than once, again varying the additions to alter the look.

Repeat "Cunarders" are not as a rulle snobs, and I book least expensive D8/7 cabins, but I do appreciate the dress up appeal of Cunard, and its ambience over the "fun -fun -fun" atmosphere of some of the other lines,

I wish you well,

Lynn

Can you explain those terms ? I must have led a sheltered life !

A video of a Hairy Chest Contest on a Carnival ship can be seen here

:eek: Caution! A few seconds of viewing was enough to give me the general idea :eek:

:eek: Caution! A few seconds of viewing was enough to give me the general idea :eek:

I don't like the look of that very much, I feel quite unwell. And as for a "greasy pole" competition, it's best if I don't say what I thought that might be :o

Not posh at all. About 10% seem fairly well off and the rest are mainly ordinary Mom and Pop types who are celebrating something. The dress code is superior to other ships but far from being designer gear except for a tiny few:)

OMG! You mean to say they really have those things. I thought it was just some kind of urban myth.

Anyway, I can't see what all the excitement is about - none of those girls looked like they had particularly hairy chests :eek:

J

OMG! You mean to say they really have those things. I thought it was just some kind of urban myth.

Anyway, I can't see what all the excitement is about - none of those girls looked like they had particularly hairy chests :eek:

J

[laughing]

Maybe they held a chest shaving contest just prior to the filming of that video :D

OMG :eek: Until I watched that I always thought that the tales of HCCs were exaggerated beyond belief. Now I see that the tellers of these stories were toning the event down to spare us.

BTW - I managed 25 seconds before I had to stop watching :D

Maybe the "hairy chest" type contests won't be long in arriving. They already have the cheap tat out for sale and the photographers blocking elegant corridors...not to mention the "Art":rolleyes:...Carnival culture is spreading:eek:

I don't like the look of that very much, I feel quite unwell. And as for a "greasy pole" competition, it's best if I don't say what I thought that might be :o

Now, now!! Let's keep this clean. I guess Cunard's lower standard would be the sidewalk sales or the art auction. They have these on HAL, among others. I just hope Carnival doesn't try those aforementioned juvenile games on Cunard.

Maybe the "hairy chest" type contests won't be long in arriving. They already have the cheap tat out for sale and the photographers blocking elegant corridors...not to mention the "Art":rolleyes:...Carnival culture is spreading:eek:

Hey Moniquet, you've given me a great idea...

Hairy chest contest on QM2: any Kennel Passenger Pup wishing to enter the Hairy Chest contest will be met with praise and pats from adoring humans. Imagine the winner on the back cover of The Cunarder!

To quote one of my professors: all art is derivative...so what better art form than a Hairy Dog Contest :)

Salacia

J U S T J O K I N G

Thank you all for your comments. It helps to get confirmation of what I was hoping things would be like. We are an "older" couple and do not look for a "wild exciting" time and a wee bit of elegance once in a while suits us just fine. (for the record I do not have a particularly hairy chest . I will not comment on the greasy pole!):confused:

... sidewalk sales or the art auction...

Aren't they appalling ? Daily tat stalls where people are almost fighting to buy some cheap, made in china, cheap and nasty garbage .

And as for the "art" "auctions";

"art" - well, that's open to debate.

"auctions" - that's not open to debate. They are no more an "auction" than fly in the air.

I was on the QM2 3 months ago and went to one of these "auctions". And the bloke stoot up and said "This picture would retail at $10k, but we can start the bidding at just £2k." And guess what, not a bid. But hang on, surely I should have bid and made an instant $8k profit - after all, that's what the nice man said. What ? You mean he was fibbing ? Surely not !

Archived