The Lazy SeaDreamer's Opinion of Seabourn

Cammiem

Seabourn Spirit

Civitavecchia to Venice

SEPT 25 to OCT 2

I'm a SeaDream junkie. Period.

Why did I book a Seabourn cruise? Several reasons, really. Mainly, to increase my blogging arena. Plus, ganttc made me do it. And, the price was right. And, Jim Avery & his lovely wife, Lois were going. How could I resist?

SERVICE

Service from the crew onboard was outstanding, just like on SD.

IMG_3646.JPG

Any request was filled. One afternoon, I jokingly told my lunch server to just bring me the bottle of chardonnay with a straw. Not more than 5 minutes later, I received same! Priceless!

FOOD

Food was fabulous. However, SD wins by a slight edge.

Chef Jes, who used to be on SD, was amazing & I had the pleasure of interviewing him for my SB blog.

If you have the SD cookbook, you'll find Chef Jes on page 8.

OUTDOOR SPACES

Ya know - I found myself really missing SDs Bali Beds. There's something to be said for being able to sit above the rails with an uninterrupted view. And a glass of champagne. :D

As has been said countless times, the pool area on Spirit is, well, pathetic.

I would choose SD for the Caribbean in a heartbeat.

NIGHTLIFE

My favorite thing to do after dinner on SD is to head to the TOYB to schmooze with everyone there. That's my element and, to me, that's the perfect way to end the evening.

I found that with a ship as large as Spirit (and, technically, it's really not that large), there were too many venues for nightlife.

I missed my TOYB and the fact that music is played there.

Sure, there's the Sky Bar, but it's NOT the TOYB.

STATEROOM

Staterooms on Spirit are opposite those on SD. Meaning, the sitting area is near the window; the bed is closer to the door. Am not sure which configuration I prefer.

DSC_9297.JPG

Spirit bathrooms feature double sinks (yay!) and a tub (boo). The tub is nice, but the shower component configuration makes for a cramped shower experience.

Europe%2020101.jpg

The closet is a walk-in one. Nice.

My biggest disappointment: the fact that I could smell cigarette smoke throughout the ship. Eeew.

Would I book another SB cruise? Absolutely - if the price is right.

However, I cannot wait to get back onboard my SeaDream yacht. In fact, I did not have that THIS IS *MY* YACHT feeling on SB like I always have on SD.

All in all, a great trip. The company was wonderful!

That was a fun lunch. Don't you have a picture of the extra long straw in the wine bottle?:eek: Would be enough to make a wine snob choke.:D Too bad we don't have anything else booked.

Here ya go, Jimmy.

I didn't initially post this pic because the stupid braces in my mouth dominate the picture...:eek:

Yes, people, I'm 43 & have braces. :eek:

IMG_3444.jpg

Sounds like you had fun, even if it wasn't SeaDream. As for me, I'm still eyeing my next SeaDream cruise for the spring. I just bought a new computer, which has kind of put a damper on my travel plans... :( Clearly I have my priorities all wrong!:eek:

That's the picture I remember.:D Knothead, SeaDream has computers on board. Send yours back and just use theirs.:D

Wine bottle.

Straw.

What's not to like?!?

KNOT: I agree with Jim. Send that computer back & use the ones on SD. :D

Thanks for comparing the 2 ships, it's very interesting reading. SB seems to be offering more discounts than SD lately so it's tempting to consider them. Did anyone in your group have a balcony? I wonder if the smoking smell would be less noticeable if you have a balcony..... :confused:

Thanks for comparing the 2 ships, it's very interesting reading. SB seems to be offering more discounts than SD lately so it's tempting to consider them. Did anyone in your group have a balcony? I wonder if the smoking smell would be less noticeable if you have a balcony..... :confused:

We didn't notice the smoking smell *in* our stateroom - only when opening the door & walking in the halls.

Also noticed it at the Sky Bar.

Thanks for the quick compare/contrast Cammiem.

The things that you didn't like about SB are the same exact things we did not like about SB.

DJ's DH and I find that the service on SD is heads above SB. We felt like a number on SB Pride. Then again, we do have four SD cruises under our belts (with the fifth one just 4 weeks away!) and the staff/crew do seem to know us (not sure if that is is a good way or not):p

Hi DJ:

We actually thought the service on the Spirit was a bit better than on SD in our recent past (not that it has been bad) and I told Cammiem that they just like me best thats why the service was so good. (Long straw in bottle was just so they did not have to refill her glass every 5 minutes).:eek::eek::eek:

Hi DJ:

We actually thought the service on the Spirit was a bit better than on SD in our recent past (not that it has been bad) and I told Cammiem that they just like me best thats why the service was so good. (Long straw in bottle was just so they did not have to refill her glass every 5 minutes).:eek::eek::eek:

Too funny Jim:p

I am wondering if the folks on the Spirit were very aware that you are big SD fans thanks to the heads up from some folks on the SB boards?:p Nonetheless, it sounds like you all had a wonderful time.

There are some interesting and reasonable priced itineraries on SB right now (I suspect it is because they have more suites to fill with the new ships) but there is no talking DJ's DH into sailing SB at this time.

Sounds like SB has loosened up on the dress code in terms of formal night?

Yes, no formal night. "Dressy Casual", a jacket, no tie required for the Gents. I took a tie and many men actually wore a tie with their jackets but most did not. Most nights on SD in the Dining Room, I wear a navy sportcoat anyway. Just fits good over a Polo shirt and feels comfortable. Just one nuts opinion.:D We actually felt very comfortable with the passengers and staff on the Spirit. SkyBar and Sean felt very much like the TOY Bar with Christophe the Younger in charge. Lots of fun, though I agree with Cammiem that the TOY Bar is a prettier venue and the varnish is much better maintained at the TOY Bar. I envy your upcoming trip and look forward to being taken along with your posts. Your turn.:eek:

Hi DJ:

Funny, Avery.

Very funny.

And, it's not every 5 minutes. It's every 4. So there.

Sorry, but all the servers liked me better than you. Mainly because I'm a lot more attractive. :p

Service onboard was fabulous. We had no complaints.

And, though I didn't necessarily feel the double passenger load, I didn't feel like it was MY yacht.

SeaDream is MY yacht and there's something to be said for that feeling.

I smell an SD booking in my future...

This thread is hysterical! OK, so they brought Cammiem a straw, but did they spritz her and clean her sunglasses afterwards too?!

It's been interesting to read about the similarities/differences between the two ships so thanks to Jim and Cammiem for your comments and reviews.

We're looking forward to our 6th and 7th cruises on SD next year, so I guess we're not quite ready to "jump ship" anytime soon!

CDreamer

This thread is hysterical! OK, so they brought Cammiem a straw, but did they spritz her and clean her sunglasses afterwards too?!

It's been interesting to read about the similarities/differences between the two ships so thanks to Jim and Cammiem for your comments and reviews.

We're looking forward to our 6th and 7th cruises on SD next year, so I guess we're not quite ready to "jump ship" anytime soon!

CDreamer

No spritz (unless you count Cammiem spilling wine) and no sunglasses cleaner. Definitely SD for the Caribbean, but we really enjoyed our first time on SB in Europe. :D

No spritz (unless you count Cammiem spilling wine) and no sunglasses cleaner. Definitely SD for the Caribbean, but we really enjoyed our first time on SB in Europe. :D

Moi?

Spilling wine?

Surely, you jest.

You wanna talk about spilling stuff, ask ganttc about his klutziness in Rome. Sheesh! And I thought I was bad.

And just for the record: there was no spritzing because all the handsome, adorable servers were tripping over each other to bring me the next bottle of wine & long straw.

Oh - wait - maybe I'm getting the bottles of wine confused with the bottles of champagne...:eek::D

Get this: Avery didn't last long during tea time because there was no alcohol in the tea! :D;)

Betcha you all really wanna cruise with us, dontja?

LOL Jim!!

Your SB itinerary did sound great.

We took a SD Greece-Dubrovnik cruise this year which we really enjoyed, so it will be interesting to see what their cruise in Norway is like next year.

CDreamer

Archived