Does X Limit Amt of OBC TAs Can Give?

Sail Girl

I would not think that a TA would be able to actually discount a Celebrity Cruise. Doesn't your payment going directly to Celebrity?

My TA gives me a choice of paying with a credit card and taking OBC or writing her a personal check and utilizing a discounted price.

I would not think that a TA would be able to actually discount a Celebrity Cruise. Doesn't your payment going directly to Celebrity?

Yes, credit card payment goes directly to Celebrity and agent can discount (they do it electronically). We take the discount on Azamara, but on Celebrity have been having our gratuities pre-paid which has worked out better on the shorter Caribbean cruises.

The question about the OBC revolves around how the credit is paid for by the TA. Does the TA direct X to deduct the cost of the OBC from the commission? Does the TA buy OBC and gift it to the client using a credit card connected to his agency? The TA calls X and says I would like to give Mr Jones on such and such cruise $300 in OBC. Does X question this transaction? It is money they are going to get, in fact more likely to get than if someone has no OBC. On our 50th anniversary cruise I expect the kids to call X and buy at least $500 in OBC for us :D, or else see a change in the will :p. Could X know that the credit is not from a TA?

My TA gives me a choice of paying with a credit card and taking OBC or writing her a personal check and utilizing a discounted price.

I would never write anyone a personal check, but, there is a way an agent can discount by paying electronically with your credit card. This came up before and someone on these boards who was a TA explained. It comes off of their commission which they short change (If I explained it right).

If Celebrity knew that, she would no longer be able to book with them. Agents cannot discount RCCL products. If it's a group rate that's lower, that's fine. Otherwise, what the agent is doing is not allowed. I wouldn't want to be in the crosshairs if she gets found out...

To answer the OP's question, YES Celebrity does limit the amount of OBC or rebate a TA can give. TA's caught breaking their policy can and have lost their ability to sell Celebrity.

This is my experience as well. Earlier this year when I booked Solstice on a large online "gnome" TA, the first promotional OBC credit (dollar sign) posted as expected several days into the sail. When the second promotional OBC credit (star) did not post, I went to Guest Relations and they let me talk to the gnome :D using the Guest Relations phone from the ship in Roatan. The gnome "could not understand" why X had not posted the second OBC, but quickly agreed to mail me a check for the same amount (which they promptly did). All ended well and good customer service from both parties.

Archived