Ocean Center?

Sunny AZ Girl

Is Ocean Center a worthwhile stop? It looks interesting online, but have not read much about it here.

If we rent a car in Maui (we will be on the POA) I was considering going to the Iao Needle, Ocean Center and walking around Lahaina, possibly some beach time on Day 1, a catamaran snorkel excursion on Day 2. My family has absolutely nixed the idea of going on the Road to Hana as some get car sick easily, so I am trying to figure out a good plan for our time in Maui.

We did MOC on our POA 09/25/10 cruise with Roberts Tours.

It's a blend of Seaworld and Marineland without the rides. It's slanted more towards the edutainment scenario. I was surprised by the quality of the exhibits. We must have shot 300 pics.

I recommend it.

We did MOC on our POA 09/25/10 cruise with Roberts Tours.

It's a blend of Seaworld and Marineland without the rides. It's slanted more towards the edutainment scenario. I was surprised by the quality of the exhibits. We must have shot 300 pics.

I recommend it.

Thanks! Good to know.:) How did you like the overall tour with Roberts?

I did Roberts for most of the shore excursions (Rickys and NCL for the other two).

You can't beat them for the price and they had newer buses than NCL's (for the one excursion we did with NCL). It's the same tour with a 40%-50% discount.

If I were going back to Hawaii via POA, I'd do rental cars or Roberts again.

Here's the link for their brochure on shore excursions. http://www.gorabbitgo.com/brochures.php

Thanks! Good to know.:) How did you like the overall tour with Roberts?

I totally zoned out on your question. I enjoyed Roberts Tours. Even tho we were on the large buses (like NCL), I felt less rushed. I think it's because most passengers choose NCL tours due to ignorance about alternatives. As a result, there were tons of NCL buses and only one Roberts bus.

Here is Roberts marketing spiff about this excursion.

Maui Tropical Plantation & Iao Valley & Maui Ocean Center

8:30am - 2:30pm

$55

See how sweetly this island's garden grows at Maui Tropical Plantation – mangos and papayas, coffee and sugarcane, kalo (Hawaiian taro), coconuts and mac nuts – a feast for your camera and samples galore. Iao Needle, the straight up pinnacle at the heart of the Valley Island’s western range, is equally picture perfect.

After venturing to two of the island’s most popular attractions, extend the adventure down to the sea at Maui Ocean Center – Zagat Survey’s top ranked family attraction featuring The Living Reef, Turtle Lagoon, Hammerhead Harbor and open ocean wonders abound.

I did Roberts for most of the shore excursions (Rickys and NCL for the other two).

You can't beat them for the price and they had newer buses than NCL's (for the one excursion we did with NCL). It's the same tour with a 40%-50% discount.

If I were going back to Hawaii via POA, I'd do rental cars or Roberts again.

Here's the link for their brochure on shore excursions. http://www.gorabbitgo.com/brochures.php

Thanks. I have it.:) We are currently planning on going with Robert's in Kauai (Waimea Canyon & Smith Family Luau), Ricky in Hilo and rental cars in Oahu 3 days pre-cruise. Kona and Maui. These boards are such a great resource! Since we are still 7 months away I am keeping my eyes and ears open for all sorts of possibilities. We can always change our plans at any point (and probably will, LOL!).

Did you do the Robert's tour in Maui that went to Iao State Park and the gardens also? I was planning on doing those on our own and would love to know what you thought of them. How long did the tour take? I was hoping to go to Iao for awhile, then on to Lahaina for sightseeing/shopping but do not have a grasp yet on how long everything takes. I had read the gardens were not worth the admission and time, but would like more opinions on that as my cousin will be with us. She is a real botany nut!:)

I was thinking of doing the aquarium after a morning catamaran snorkel trip out to Molokini on day two.

Did you do the Robert's tour in Maui that went to Iao State Park and the gardens also? I was planning on doing those on our own and would love to know what you thought of them. How long did the tour take? I was hoping to go to Iao for awhile, then on to Lahaina for sightseeing/shopping but do not have a grasp yet on how long everything takes. I had read the gardens were not worth the admission and time, but would like more opinions on that as my cousin will be with us. She is a real botany nut!:)

I did the tour mentioned in my post above.

Iao Valley is in the state park. Very scenic but also crowded due to popularity. I'm not a flora kind of guy but I appreciated the sights and took mucho pics.

The gardens were at the Maui Tropical Plantation. Kind of like a very small version of Universal Studios. Once it was a producing farm but now converted more towards tourism. I can't blame them, it's the economy, since most sugar cane and pineapple business has left the islands. We were on trams (just like Uni Studios) and roamed the back acreage. Saw all kinds of money crops. Some photo opps but limited ability to roam at leisure.

If you forgo the MOC, then the tour is 830 to 1230

Is Ocean Center a worthwhile stop? It looks interesting online, but have not read much about it here.

If we rent a car in Maui (we will be on the POA) I was considering going to the Iao Needle, Ocean Center and walking around Lahaina, possibly some beach time on Day 1, a catamaran snorkel excursion on Day 2. My family has absolutely nixed the idea of going on the Road to Hana as some get car sick easily, so I am trying to figure out a good plan for our time in Maui.

The Maui Ocean Center is one of the best Aquariums that I have ever been to. In my opinon, second only to the one in Gatlinburg Tennessee. I have been to Maui three times and each time we make sure to make a stop there.

We did basically what you plan on doing... rented a car, drove to the Ocean Center, then drove on to Lahania and then drove to the Iao Needle. Maui roads are easy to navigate. The reason that I reccommend a different order is: 1.) Ocean Center gets more crowded as the day goes on. We got there when they opened and there were very few people there, but by the time we left it was packed. It also allowed us perfect timing to get to Lahania to eat instead of paying the higher prices for food in the Ocean Center. 2.) The Iao Needle doesn't close until dark, so save that to the end. Word of warning... the public restrooms at the Needle are closed and it doesn't appear that they will open soon. They have port-a-johns on site there but some people just can't use those things so be warned.

If you are not keeping the car for two days, then the Iao Needle is a straight shot back to the ship and rental car terminals with several gas stations along the road to fill up before returning.

Some people may reccomend the Maui Plantation and I enjoyed it when I was there in 2002, but not this time. They are undergoing a major replanting and the groves of bushes and trees are just not in that good of shape. The gift shop is also very scarce in items offered. (the last time we were there, it was packed full.)

I absolutley reccommend Roberts Hawaii over especially NCL's tours and Polynesian Adventure Tours. Half the price for basically the same itinerary. We did Roberts in Hilo to VNP and it was great! Our driver did the tour in reverse order so that we got to places either before or after the many other tour busses (NCL, Polynesian Adventure, Ricky's). There was no crowd when we were at those places until the other busses rolled in.

Thank you. Good to know the Ocean Center is good. I read some mixed reviews on TA, but don't always trust those. I was going to do the Iao Needle first because one travel guide said it is often clouded over by afternoon. Has this been your experience? I think your logic is sound, though.:cool:

Thank you. Good to know the Ocean Center is good. I read some mixed reviews on TA, but don't always trust those. I was going to do the Iao Needle first because one travel guide said it is often clouded over by afternoon. Has this been your experience? I think your logic is sound, though.:cool:

Just the opposite on the Iao Needle for me. I acutally got there twice on our cruise this past summer.

We did the car on the first day and since most people in our group had other tours for the second day, we went to Iao Needle on Sunday evening. (first day). I jumped on a tour for Monday with my parents at the last minute and it was a morning tour that stopped at Iao Needle before going to the Maui Tropical Plantation.

On Sunday night, the viewing of the needle was clear but on Monday morning (about 9:30), it was somewhat obscured by fog and haze. So in my experience... clear in the afternoon, fogged over in the morning.

She is a real botany nut!

Consider the garden(s) on Kauai http://www.ntbg.org/gardens/allerton.php

Sounds like MOC is worth another visit, been several years since our last, there's a place that gives out discount cards but I forget where (ABC stores ?)

Thank you! I will put the gardens on my list.:)

Archived