Advice on car rental in Honolulu

GaryThePhotog

What would be the best way, if any, to rent a car for the day in Honolulu. Some "attributes" that would be handy are: 1: Close to where ship docks; 2: Open for late evening return. Got any advice one way or the other? Thanks ... If I have to use the airport, is cab the only proficient way to get to the ship from the airport? Any related info would be appreciated.

Hello.

We were on the Infinity in December and had rented a car in Honolulu through Budget. I had called their toll free number to be certain that we would be picked up at the Aloha Tower Marketplace Honolulu harbor, and that there would be no additional charge.

But....when we arrived it was a different story. From Budget anyway there was a $10 fee to get us to the airport to get the car- and another $10 for the return. Rather than have steam blowing out of our heads we boarded the Alamo bus where we didn't have a reservation. But the cost of renting a car at Alamo last minute was exhorbitant. We have been to Hawaii a lot and ended up riding the bus around the island and it worked out great.

I learned that even tho Budget did have a complimentary shuttle service available when we made our initial reservation, they had changed the policy mid-stream. I could have squacked about it, but I hate doing that on vacation.

We are returning this winter again on Summit and this time we'll use a different company. I understand that Hertz, Avis and National have complimentary pickup and return for cruise ship passengers. But when I make my reservation (don't do it online, do it by phone) I will ask that they detail in the reservation that cruise ship pick up is complimentary and email it to me.

You may also want to post on in the ports section under Hawaii and ask others what their experiences were if you have not already.

Best wishes. :)

I called Avis directly in Honolulu and they said that the only firm they know of which offered port pickup and return was Dollar but ..... the Dollar rental place where they'll take you to closes at 5:00 P.M. and we'll be at the Polynesian Cultural Center well into the evening (our ship, also the Summit, is now scheduled to depart at 11:00 P.M.) $10.00 is not too bad for a ride from the airport to the ship. Most companies I called said that I would need a taxi (or take the city bus) which could run around $20. each way. The reason I would like a car is to be able to hit both the Arizona memorial and the Polynesian Cultural Center.

Hi there, we were in Honolulu last September/October and used Thrifty Car Rental. They had a shuttle pick us up just outside of the Aloha Tower, across street and taken to car rental office. Ride was approximately 15 minutes.

We returned our car to the rental office 2 days later around 6 pm and shuttle took us to airport. The shuttles were included in the price of the car and we were pleased with car and service.

Good luck.

Archived