Excursion suggestions with teens from the Pride

Cookiesbykk

We will be on the Pride Thanksgiving week with our 2 teens (their first cruise). We are already splurging on 2 balcony cabins and don't want to break the bank on excursions for 4 of us (which adds up quite quickly).

Port Canaveral - We originally thought to do WDW for the day but were immediately dissuaded by many well-informed Cruise Critic folks who reminded us that Thanksgiving is one of the busiest time at Disney or any of the other Orlando theme parks. We just visited the Space Center and Cocoa Beach 2 years ago so that's out too...

Nassau & Freeport???? Help?

Thanks in advance for any advice! We want to make this trip a great one for the kids since they will soon be off to college and won't want to travel with mom & dad any more!

Besides beaches and shopping at the local flea market there's not much to do . Just get off and walk around and take opx and enjoy your day. Google the two cities and look on trip advisor for ideas.

We actually didn't debark in Port Canaveral.

In Nassau we went on a dolphin swim excursion to the Blue Lagoon. It was VERY expensive, but I understand you can get use of the beach (which was GORGEOUS) for much less money. You can still walk around and enjoy seeing the dolphins and sea lions. You get a little ferry ride too which was equally beautiful. Be aware that most things in Nassau close down around 5 or so. Many disappointed travellers that wanted to go back to the ship to clean up after an excursion then walk back to Nassau to shop/eat and most everything was closed. There are also party boat/snorkeling excursions that I've heard were great.

In Freeport we took a taxi (4.00 per person each way) to Our Lucaya Resort. There is a beautiful beach and they have lots of water sports available like jet skis and parasailing, etc, shopping and restaurants. There is also a little beach side bar and they have the best pina coladas my friend and I ever tasted!

Good luck. I'm sure whatever you get into will be wonderful. Enjoy!

Denise

We went to Paradise Cove in Freeport to go snorkeling. They had a shuttle pick us up right at the port and bring us back again. I'm not the strongest swimmer, but I thought the snorkeling there was very easy - and very good.

Snorkeling was actually one of the activities I wanted the kids to try so this sounds great. Can you tell me if you booked it through your cruise or indipendently? Or did you just get off the boat and book it at that moment?

If we didn't have 2 days prior to port canaveral at sea, I'd have considered staying on the ship...however, by that time I think the kids would want to get off the ship and explore somewhere...but I could be wrong. They might enjoy having a somewhat empty ship to themselves!

Thanks! Keep those suggestions coming!

I think Paradise Cove is the best snorkeling on Grand Bahama Island. It is a family owned place, and we have actually stayed for a week in the villas they rent there (twice). They charge something like $30 pp to pick you up from the cruise ship and take you back, snorkeling equipment, etc. You can stay anywhere from 2-6 hours, as they have a shuttle driver going back and forth all day. This is the first place we ever saw spotted eagle rays, and we saw them nearly every day. They have a lovely beach with chairs and great snorkeling. You can find them online. Their website is deadmansreef. I think that is the official name of the reef there, but everyone knows the place as Paradise Cove, and I think it is exactly that! Have fun!

I think Paradise Cove is the best snorkeling on Grand Bahama Island. It is a family owned place, and we have actually stayed for a week in the villas they rent there (twice). They charge something like $30 pp to pick you up from the cruise ship and take you back, snorkeling equipment, etc. You can stay anywhere from 2-6 hours, as they have a shuttle driver going back and forth all day. This is the first place we ever saw spotted eagle rays, and we saw them nearly every day. They have a lovely beach with chairs and great snorkeling. You can find them online. Their website is deadmansreef. I think that is the official name of the reef there, but everyone knows the place as Paradise Cove, and I think it is exactly that! Have fun!

Thank you so much for this info! It's exactly the type of thing I'm looking for. Do you think it best for me to prebook this excursion or can I find the tour company when we debark? I love the fact that you say they have a shuttle going back and forth all day and they will pick us up right at the peir. I'm assuming the $30 is a per person charge? Now I'm getting excited! I was afraid we wouldn't find any reasonably priced excursions at any of the 3 ports! Thanks again!

We are going Christmas-New Years week and are planning to just take a taxi out to Our Lacaya to use the beach and shop.

Go on the boards to the ports of Nassauand Freeport and you find lots of information. I independently booked horseback riding for some of us.

You can get a shuttle in Port Canaveral just to go over to the beach and Roy Jon's.

We are going Christmas-New Years week and are planning to just take a taxi out to Our Lacaya to use the beach and shop.

Go on the boards to the ports of Nassauand Freeport and you find lots of information. I independently booked horseback riding for some of us.

You can get a shuttle in Port Canaveral just to go over to the beach and Roy Jon's.

Thanks shumdit1. I'll have to check out Our Lucaya too to see what that's all about.

As for Port Canaveral, we were just there 2 years ago...we stayed on Cocoa Beach, went to Ron John's and hit the space center too. So now I'm looking for other options.

Archived