Limon, Costa Rica - Excursions

wendymac

We did a tour very similar to what the OP described last month with a private tour guide. It worked out great -- got to do whatever we wanted and didn't have to go anywhere we didn't. (I passed on the banana plantation but loved the canals, rainforest and beach.)

The cost was less than a ship's excursion and there was much more flexibility. I had corresponded with our guide extensively and had no worries about his getting us back to the ship. He really put himself out to show us the best possible day.

You might want to email him: jorgel.cr@hotmail.com. Please tell him our sloth pictures came out great!

• 3 months later...

I live in north Ga. and we live on a river that has class 2 rapids..have been on other rivers with class 4-5...where does this one come in. as I really don't want to be on a really calm river..

“Amazingly awesome excursion with Greenway Tours”

5 of 5 stars

Was reluctant to plop down $693 to a foreign country site, but had an amazing excursion with Greenway Tours in Costa Rica. Went with 7 family members, ages 20 to 81, and we all had a awesome time. First "Jacquie O", our wonderful animated tour guide met us at the gangway. She gave us so much info on the country in her wonderful perky way. She stopped the bus just so we can see a sloth in the trees and led us to our zip line journey. My 79 and 81 year old parents joined us, and this was the highlight of our trip. No waiting and 13 platforms later, the staff securely let us cruise through the rainforest to view the lush and beautiful landscape. I was really reluctant because my arthritic knee couldn't take much walking, but we zipped from 1 platform to another, soaking up the beauty around us. Those people took care of us and didn't rip us off with expensive photos. $10 later, and we had a disc of all of us zipping.

Then we went for a boat ride through the canals. Jacquie was quick to point out all the creatures of the rainforest, the caymans, iguanas, howler monkeys, bats and sloths.

And still, we moved on to our next place, the banana plantation of Del Monte. We were able to see the operation in progress and take lots of photos. We crammed all of this in and still had time to shop!

Now the bus, well I was thinking school bus, but noooooo, a wonderfully air conditioned bus in great condition. We learned so much, had such a great excursion, and all for $99 per person.

This tour is way better than any Carnival excursion!

Visited July 2011, from the Carnival Freedom

• 4 weeks later...
we took a similar thing thru HAL when we were on their ship....it was the best thing to do in this area, did not really appear to be a safe place to wonder off by yourself. The best part was the boat ride thru the rain forest, be careful you might never eat bananas again after seeing this plantation and how they process them for shipment to the US

Hi, We're on the Island Princes, Oct. 10th sailing, 10 Night Panama from FLL and have booked (on line through Princess) the following and would really appreciate any and all inputs, opinions, etc.

1) In Cartagena, Colubia, we booked the Pirate Ship excursion, Galleon? for a two hour tour/excursion around;

2) In Limon, Costa Rica, we booked the Pontoon River Boat Cruise and then on for a short visit to the Banana Planation, about 4 1/2 hours.

3) In Ocho Rios we are planning to go to Turtle Beach for a couple of hours.

Please feel free to share your thoughts. We seasoned cruisers, but never got Panama or these ports are are very excited. It 's been on our "bucket list" quite a while and can't wait:D

Thanks in advance and safe sails always:)

Hi, We're on the Island Princes, Oct. 10th sailing, 10 Night Panama from FLL and have booked (on line through Princess) the following and would really appreciate any and all inputs, opinions, etc.

1) In Cartagena, Colubia, we booked the Pirate Ship excursion, Galleon? for a two hour tour/excursion around;

2) In Limon, Costa Rica, we booked the Pontoon River Boat Cruise and then on for a short visit to the Banana Planation, about 4 1/2 hours.

3) In Ocho Rios we are planning to go to Turtle Beach for a couple of hours.

Please feel free to share your thoughts. We seasoned cruisers, but never got Panama or these ports are are very excited. It 's been on our "bucket list" quite a while and can't wait:D

Thanks in advance and safe sails always:)

Pirate Ships are Pirate Ships on all cruises I think and a great deal of fun if you can handle the Rum

I've only been to Ochos Rios and have done Dunns River Falls. Not much else in Jamaica so your turtle beach might be OK. Dunns Is kind of far from Ochos Rios and the trip would wear one out.

We spent some time in San Jose and went toward the East to the Pacquare River and did Class 5 White Water rapids with Rios Tropicales. This river is used in the movie Congo. Great Rapids-- This was the most rapids I had ever done and not a seasoned rapid runner, but the guide told us what to do.

We had 6/boat Plus the guide. It was tiring for me and that was in 2000 when I was just 63.

Never been to Limon, but reading these boards I would try to get something arranged with Charlie Soto if I was going.

I've only been through the Panama Canal twice and could enjoy it again. Read the "Path Between the Seas" by David McCollum. It will make the passage much more interesting. See if you can get a Panama Canal map before you go.

Pirate Ships are Pirate Ships on all cruises I think and a great deal of fun if you can handle the Rum

I've only been to Ochos Rios and have done Dunns River Falls. Not much else in Jamaica so your turtle beach might be OK. Dunns Is kind of far from Ochos Rios and the trip would wear one out.

We spent some time in San Jose and went toward the East to the Pacquare River and did Class 5 White Water rapids with Rios Tropicales. This river is used in the movie Congo. Great Rapids-- This was the most rapids I had ever done and not a seasoned rapid runner, but the guide told us what to do.

We had 6/boat Plus the guide. It was tiring for me and that was in 2000 when I was just 63.

Never been to Limon, but reading these boards I would try to get something arranged with Charlie Soto if I was going.

I've only been through the Panama Canal twice and could enjoy it again. Read the "Path Between the Seas" by David McCollum. It will make the passage much more interesting. See if you can get a Panama Canal map before you go.

Thanks for your prompt post! Think we'll stick w/ the pirate ship (too early in the a.m. for me to have rum LOL). The Pontoon should be fun, nice ride on the river and much to see w/ info from the tour guide and a fruit buffet before we head to the Planation....I'll post about all.

Not sure abouit the excursion through the Canal..I think as wonderful as it might be, it might be a very long day for us. Also, 2 long bus rides with no facilities, going or coming...Ya never know if you need it;) I think we'll be fine staying on the ship going and coming through Gatun Lake...We'll take loads of pictures from different points....

Thanks again.

Safe sails always:)

Not sure abouit the excursion through the Canal..I think as wonderful as it might be, it might be a very long day for us. Also, 2 long bus rides with no facilities, going or coming...Ya never know if you need it;) I think we'll be fine staying on the ship going and coming through Gatun Lake...We'll take loads of pictures from different points....

Thanks again.

Safe sails always:)

I get the impression that this Canal cruise is just into Gatun Lake and not through the entire canal. I've never done one like that. I didn't have an opportunity to take a separate tour. They had offerred one and I scheduled it, but they cancelled it so never got to do it.

It takes a ship 8 hours to traverse the entire PC from one end to the other.

Not sure what a small boat would do, but it might go faster. I wonder if it just takes you through the Culebra cut and not go through the other locks.

I remember seeing a small tour boat once and took a picture and was worried that it was overloaded.

...Think we'll stick w/ the pirate ship (too early in the a.m. for me to have rum LOL)...

Did you type that correctly? The pirate ship is a rum ride around the harbor. If it's too early in the morning for you to drink I'd pick another excursion.

Did you type that correctly? The pirate ship is a rum ride around the harbor. If it's too early in the morning for you to drink I'd pick another excursion.

Well after 42 cruises that is what I've seen. Usually out to a site, some snorkeling, some food and drinks. Good loud Carribbean music and dancing. It is fun though. I have not been on any of these particular excrusions, so it may be different. Maybe one get's more siteseeing. I love the rum drinks.

Well after 42 cruises that is what I've seen. Usually out to a site, some snorkeling, some food and drinks. Good loud Carribbean music and dancing. It is fun though. I have not been on any of these particular excrusions, so it may be different. Maybe one get's more siteseeing. I love the rum drinks.

Hi: I did a bit of checking with regard to this excursion. It said nothing about any drinks (soft or rum) being served. I think it's more of a learning excursion. The only do a little dance routine at the end of the sail. I believe it is different than the usual "Caribbean pirate boat excursions".

Thanks for your input.

Safe sails.

• 5 weeks later...
Hi: I did a bit of checking with regard to this excursion. It said nothing about any drinks (soft or rum) being served. I think it's more of a learning excursion. The only do a little dance routine at the end of the sail. I believe it is different than the usual "Caribbean pirate boat excursions".

Thanks for your input.

Safe sails.

If you haven't already you should check out your roll call....chances are you can find some great info from your fellow passengers regarding excursions they are taking and info on private tours if you are interested (likely a large savings $$).

• 1 year later...

Has anyone been on this Princess excursion?

If so, was it worth the price?

How many Zip Lines did you get to go on?

Any and all info about this Princess excursion will be appreciated?

Should we book thru an outside vendor (and not thru Princess to go Zip Lining)- if so - who

Archived