favorite cruises

dd's mom

We have a "Big" anniversary coming up next year and would like to go some place special, maybe romantic, maybe just relaxing. We've gone on 9 cruises so far and have loved each one ... but wondered which were your favorite cruises and why. Or, ... what would you recommend for 40 years of marriage?

dd's mom

Do the Freedom 8 day, and take a excursion thru the locks of the Panama Canal

One of those going to Hawaii would be a special cruise to me.

What port does the Freedom leave from? Are you saying it goes through the Panama Canal and then on to Hawaii?

dd's mom

What port does the Freedom leave from? Are you saying it goes through the Panama Canal and then on to Hawaii?

dd's mom

The Freedom is too big for the canal (at least that's what I read here on CC). They go to Panama and you can then take an excursion to go through the locks if you want.

The Hawaii cruise would be a separate one; HOWEVER' date=' I believe that [i']Carnival Inspiration[/i] is doing a repositioning cruise and they would then go through the locks.

To me, the one *I* would do for ultimate romantical times, is the one that cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale (Carnival Spirit) and it visits St. Kitts, Antigua, etc. That is the one I am dreaming of for our 10th anniversary.

Let us know what you pick.

dd's mom

It leaves from Ft. Lauderdale. One goes to Panama' date=' but not thru the locks. You would have to pay for the excursion which I hear is pricey to do one of the locks.

[b']DAY[/b] DATE PORT ARRIVE DEPART Sat Sep 24 Fort Lauderdale, FL

4:00pm Sun Sep 25 At Sea

Mon Sep 26 Cozumel, Mexico 8:00am 5:00pm Tue Sep 27 At Sea

Wed Sep 28 Puerto Limon, Costa Rica 10:00am 6:00pm Thu Sep 29 Colon, Panama 7:00am 4:00pm Fri Sep 30 At Sea

Sat Oct 1 At Sea

Sun Oct 2 Fort Lauderdale, FL 8:00am

The Freedom is too big for the canal (at least that's what I read here on CC). They go to Panama and you can then take an excursion to go through the locks if you want.

The Hawaii cruise would be a separate one; HOWEVER, I believe that Carnival Inspiration is doing a repositioning cruise and they would then go through the locks.

To me, the one *I* would do for ultimate romantical times, is the one that cruises out of Ft. Lauderdale (Carnival Spirit) and it visits St. Kitts, Antigua, etc. That is the one I am dreaming of for our 10th anniversary.

Let us know what you pick.

Carnival Spirit is on the West Coast :o she was in Alaska last month, in Hawaii this month, and will be in Mexico next month.

I would do Hawaii, or a 14 day to Hawaii & back or A Cruise around the Hawian Islands & then spend a week in Maui. I have done the 7 day island one, which was great! Or I would do the Panama Canal. I did the panama a couple yrs ago & it was great 14 days, we did it on Celebrity Mercury.

I'm sure any cruise would be nice, make it as long as you can though.:)

We have a "Big" anniversary coming up next year and would like to go some place special' date=' maybe romantic, maybe just relaxing. We've gone on 9 cruises so far and have loved each one ... but wondered which were your favorite cruises and why. Or, ... what would you recommend for 40 years of marriage?

dd's mom[/quote']

My all-time favorite is also Alaska but you've ruled that one out and been there.

Second favorite would be the Mediterranean (rates are great on the new Magic for 2011) but then you have the airfare thing again.

We're doing the Miracle 8-day to Aruba, Curacao, Dominican Republic and Grand Turk in about 3 weeks. I think it's going to rank up there with the 8-day that goes to Antigua and Tortola. :)

Thanks for your suggestions. I would love a B2B or a 14 day or a repositioning ... but since my MIL with alzheimer's lives with us ... and we have to get a sitter while we are gone... we had planned to only choose a 7 day. Although now you have me also thinking about an 8 day. Our anniversary is near the end of May ... if that changes your suggestions.

My DH likes the idea of the Panama Canal. We've never been to Grand Turk, Curacao or Antigua. I also like the sound of cruising around Hawaii... (haven't been there since 1985 and only visited Honolulu). I'll have to see what airfare looks like - probably more than from Atlanta to Vancouver, BC, which was over $600 when we went in 2007.

The Mediterranean sounds interesting too. Where does it leave from?

I love the planning stage, and the looking forward to phase, and the actual trip itself. We love to travel. (We just got off the Legend less than 2 weeks ago. 3rd time doing that trip with my Dad and DH's Mom.)

Thanks for your suggestions... keep them coming :)

dd's mom

My vote is for the Victory sailing out of San Juan. Great itinerary with truly some of the best ports/islands in the Caribbean. San Juan is also a great place for either a pre or post cruise day.

Unfortunately Dominica is, or has, come off the schedule. Really a shame as this was one of the most beautiful places we have visited.

My favorite cruise was for our 40th anniversary. It was a 10 day southern leaving from FT Lauderdale on the Emerald Princess in a corner aft wrap cabin. The extra days, cabin with huge balcony and wonderful new ports make it the cruise I will always love the most. And you deserve a pat on the back for having/thinking of your MIL. If my MIL lived with me there would have been no 40th anniversay.

My favorite, and the most romantic I've been on, is the Baltic. Saint Petersburg, with the palaces and basilicas, is just stunning. Tallin and Visby were adorably quaint. We took a smaller luxury cruiseline, and the pampering was made it a very relaxing getaway.

However May? It might be too early in the season.

There is a nice 8 day cruise on the Freedom that leaves near the end of May that goes to San Juan, St. Thomas, Tortola, Antigua, and Nassau. Im goin and Im super excited :p:D

Thanks for your suggestions. I would love a B2B or a 14 day or a repositioning ... but since my MIL with alzheimer's lives with us ... and we have to get a sitter while we are gone... we had planned to only choose a 7 day. Although now you have me also thinking about an 8 day. Our anniversary is near the end of May ... if that changes your suggestions.

My DH likes the idea of the Panama Canal. We've never been to Grand Turk' date=' Curacao or Antigua. I also like the sound of cruising around Hawaii... (haven't been there since 1985 and only visited Honolulu). I'll have to see what airfare looks like - probably more than from Atlanta to Vancouver, BC, which was over $600 when we went in 2007.

The Mediterranean sounds interesting too. Where does it leave from?

I love the planning stage, and the looking forward to phase, and the actual trip itself. We love to travel. (We just got off the Legend less than 2 weeks ago. 3rd time doing that trip with my Dad and DH's Mom.)

Thanks for your suggestions... keep them coming :)

dd's mom[/quote']

My vote is for the Victory sailing out of San Juan. Great itinerary with truly some of the best ports/islands in the Caribbean. San Juan is also a great place for either a pre or post cruise day.

Unfortunately Dominica is, or has, come off the schedule. Really a shame as this was one of the most beautiful places we have visited.

I have to agree with you, Victory is a great cruise, spend a few extra days in San Juan before the ship leaves.

Although it has a very busy itenerary, the islands are all beautiful and can be very romantic.

I vote for the Southern Caribbean. The Victory goes there now but I went 3 different times when the Destiny did that route. To visit 6 different islands on one cruise is wonderful. We have the Victory in June already booked for 2011. I can't wait to do it again. I will miss Dominica though.:)

Archived