Walking Tour in Nassau

NMG318

We are taking Carnival Pride to the Bahamas in Dec and was wondering about a "walking tour" to visit Parliament Square, Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle and other point of interest near Prince George Wharf. Are these areas wheelchair accessible? It has been years since I was in the Bahamas and don't recall how accessible the sidewalks/walkways are.

We are taking Carnival Pride to the Bahamas in Dec and was wondering about a "walking tour" to visit Parliament Square, Queen's Staircase, Fort Fincastle and other point of interest near Prince George Wharf. Are these areas wheelchair accessible? It has been years since I was in the Bahamas and don't recall how accessible the sidewalks/walkways are.

Be careful... I heard about some cruisers being robbed at Queen's Staircase recently. If you do the tour it is best to go with a large group, bigger the better.

Recent is a relative term. I haven't heard of any recent issues. I think the police are keeping a higher profile in tourist areas.

I think much might be accessible, but there are some "hills" and getting to Fort Fincastle would take an effort.

Here are some pictures from a walking tour:

http://www.zydecocruiser.com/nassau_walking_apr_2006.htm

I think the distances between locations is pretty daunting and it is NOT wheelchair friendly -- other countries aren't as responsive to this issue. There is a wonderful "driving tour" of all these places, we took it twice in nassau -- well worth the price (seem to remember it was reasonable) plus you had someone knowledgeable giving you great info on what you were seeing. A lady about 65 took her mother who was wheelchair-bound on our first tour, and they did quite well; the driver was very helpful and the tour vehicle accommodate a wheelchair. My best advice would be to sign up for driving tour and make it known you have a wheelchair to include. ENJOY!!!!!! Wish we were going with y'all!!!

Recent is a relative term. I haven't heard of any recent issues. I think the police are keeping a higher profile in tourist areas.

I think much might be accessible, but there are some "hills" and getting to Fort Fincastle would take an effort.

This is a wonderful walking tour as we borrowed it a year ago and did most of it. (It was too hot to do it all.) This would be very much beyond the level of ability of most wheelchair tourists as it involves some very poor pavement and a lot of hills. I could see a young, fit, wheelchair athlete doing it, but not most people.

We also have just wandered the shops on the main st. and enjoyed that very much. The Straw Market is pretty much not wheelchair accessible.

Doc

Just walked to the Staircase and Fort Fincastle last week from the pier area. The street that leads directly to the staircase has NO sidewalks at some points. But there is another route that has a narrow, rough-at-times sidewalk. I wouldn't suggest it in a WC.

Also, when we were done at the Fort, we asked the Taxi drivers already there if they had room to take 2 of us back to the ship. We didn't like their price and said we would walk since it was downhill anyway. They looked at us like we shouldn't really walk by ourselves, but we didn't have any problem. Okay, we were the only tourists on some of those streets, but we weren't bothered by anyone. Not saying we couldn't have been, though.

It's only a few blocks and not that bad of an incline to the staircase, but it really isn't an area that's busy with tourist foot traffic. I'd try the tour buses (vans) if I were in your situation. The buses wait for you and then you continue the route you've agreed on.

Good Luck and Happy Cruising.

We are doing the taste of Nassau tour offered through Island Marketing LTD on our cruise this weekend. I've heard nothing but good things, so I'm expecting a good time. I will let you know my opinion of the tour when I return.

We walked to the Queen's Staircase and Fort Fincastle last Saturday on our Fascination cruise stop. There are definitely places on the walk there and back where there is no sidewalk, and when there is one it is broken and uneven in spots, so I definitely would not recommend trying to get there in a wheelchair. DH and I walk several miles every day for exercise so the walking in Nassau it seemed easy to us, but then I am a Florida native and used to heat and humidity. We never felt a moment's uneasiness in regards to safety as we walked all over Nassau and then Paradise Island and this was less than a week ago!

We are doing the taste of Nassau tour offered through Island Marketing LTD on our cruise this weekend. I've heard nothing but good things, so I'm expecting a good time. I will let you know my opinion of the tour when I return.

Thank you. I will be looking forward to your review.

Why not take a Buggy Tour? Lots safer and easier than a walking tour.

My mother can walk short distances but will need to keep her wheel chair fairly close. If we go with this option, do you know if there is there a safe place for wheelchairs nearby or is there a place to store them onboard?

My mother can walk short distances but will need to keep her wheel chair fairly close. If we go with this option, do you know if there is there a safe place for wheelchairs nearby or is there a place to store them onboard?

Can you consider a rollator for your mother?? Was just in Nassau last week & one of the girls in my cabin used my rollator. 2 of us went to Blue Lagoon so I used my cane. She just wanted to walk around.

Great pics; thanks for sharing. Excluding your lunch stop, approximately how long did the walking tour take you?

Archived