Need FAQ>>?>Opinions vs "Facts">> and finding real info here

sharecruises

If the name on my documents did not match the name on my identification, Id bring it.

Still not sure why this is even a issue. .. I sure would think of it if my name did not match, so saying people wouldnt think of it, ... many would imo... its common sense.

It is your "opinion" that people would think of it. It is my "opinion" that they wouldn't. There are many cruisers who have posted that they have sailed without it in the past and never been asked for it. There have been cruisers who have been reading these threads that have said they didn't know anything about it either. I am positive that I am not the only one who like "Jane Doe" has been sailing without it and never been asked for it.

BTW since when is it common sense to have to read between the lines of the written documented "facts" to figure out what is required. I read the Carnival FAQ's and the Government Regulations to find out what the facts are. This is where they should be in black and white. Required documentation should not be a matter that is "clear as mud". It should be clearly documented as being required if it is. Since when is it common sense to think you need a document that has been sitting in your safe, untouched for the last 23 years. I have not been requested to present my marriage certificate to anyone since I changed my name on my driver's license and my SS card. I was not required to present it on my past 6 cruises. I was not required to present it, before the passport laws changed, when we drove into Canada for vacations. Why would it be common sense for me, when my experience and the written documentation has said it is not required?

I don't understand why posters are giving me such a hard time when I am only trying to find out what the true "facts" are. The "facts" that have been presented on these boards and to me by the Carnival Rep contradict each other. Required documentation is not an issue that should have the "facts" contradicting each other making it "clear as mud" and open to interpretation. It should be straight forward and written in black and white for all cruisers to see when they book a cruise.

If I had been stopped last year, when I sailed on the Carnival Freedom, and required to show my marriage certificate, I would have extremely upset. I would have had no clue it was required based on the Carnival FAQ's and the WHTI regulations. IMHO there are many people like me who wouldn't know and if it is a "fact" that it is required, then that is not right and should be corrected.

It is your "opinion" that people would think of it. It is my "opinion" that they wouldn't. I am positive that I am not the only one who like "Jane Doe" has been sailing without it and never been asked for it.

I dont think anyone here said everyone would think of it. Point taken to add this to CC's list of things to put on some list of FAQs we are dreaming of.

I find both the FACTS and the OPINIONS equally helpful. I especially rely on opinions when researching, say a tour operator, or a particular attraction/activity. If most of the opinions come back favorable, I know I'm on the right track and I feel comfortable with my choices. So far, CC opinions have never let me down.

And of course opinions matter and are nice...on "subjective" things like which dessert is best, what tour to do

but...when it comes to actual FACTS I feel that an FAQ would be helpful

some things are NOT subjective, they are cut and dry

if you get to the port with wrong info from this board they won't let you board because someone on Cruise Critic told you so

other info that is not "subjective" is things like "which ships have luggage express"...some do, some don't..updated facts would be really useful, NOT what happened on someone's cruise 2 years ago

Even the list of "shows on ships" that Mach posted is an example of real/good info...

rather than relying on people's memory or what they saw a few years ago

other things that could be faq'd...the Chef's table info....info on Steakhouse

maybe a pinned thread where people could post all their Fun Time scans as those drop out of "sight" with time and are soooo hard to find now...

when using the keywords "fun and times" a search brings up so many non relevant posts

another point in having a good faq area : we could simply point people to it

when they ask a redundant question

It is fine to give opinons but I have noticed a tendency for people here to chime in totally wrong answers to specific questions..maybe well meaning but ding dong wrong

faq faq faq ...please

Archived