Q for Canadian air travellers

mexico5

We are from Hfx. so we usually don't have to go through Toronto. However friends of ours who fly to Fl, or the mid west US always drive across the border to bam\ngor Maine and fly from there so they don't have to go thru Toronto. Perhaps you could drive from Calgary south to the US and fly from there. Helen.

If we drive south from Calgary to the US it gets us to Montana! Not sure if there is a major airport there and the thought of driving over 3 hours in the winter might do me in!

Westjet is doing the same thing...doesn't matter where you are going...they will bring you through Toronto! They want to fill up every seat anyway they can! I think after this discussion we will never connect in Canada again...will only go through the US and save the hassle...no offense but I would not want to be stranded in Toronto!

It's the same from eastern Canada----everthing goes through Montreal or TO. No wonder there is such a jam at US customs in Toronto.

That and the fact that American Customs is often under staffed. Having said that, I have often walked by the Terminal One US Customs entrance and checked how busy they were. In many cases they have not been all that busy. My personal experience has included a 45 min wait in mid afternoon ( only 3 lanes open that day ) and just a few minutes for an early morning departure. Vast majority of our flying has been domestic though, mostly on AC. We have never used an American departure point but many in this area have.

After several poor experiences flying through TO, we now fly Calgary to Dallas, Dallas to Fort Lauderdale on American Airlines. They are the only airline that has not lost our luggage at some point during our attempts to get to Florida! I agree with those that bypass airports in the northeast..too much of a chance that we would get delayed by bad weather!! Dallas is a big ariport but is easy to get around in due to their skytrain which runs between all the different terminals. We like it the best out of all the airports we have been in. American also frequently upgrades us from economy to business when we are starting out in Calgary for no extra cost! hard to beat that!

To the OP, just an FYI, while you may book through Air Canada, at least part of your flight (from SFO to SAN and vice versa) will be on United. When you check-in in San Diego for your return flight, you will be subject to United's baggage fees. Just an FYI for your planning purposes.

I personally can't imagine travelling with those steamer trunk sized checked bags I see people struggling to manouver around airports. Who needs that many clothes in a warmer weather destination? :confused:

I don't travel with a steamer trunk. I remember a guy in the Fort Lauderdale looking and the 2 suitcases I brought for a 21 day cruise and shaking his head. He smelled so bad of BO and I had wished he's brought more clothes with him. Thank goodness I never smelled I mean...ran into him again on the ship:D:eek::rolleyes:.

FWIW I avoid all northern airports where possible in winter including Toronto, Chicago, Denver, and Minneapolis and instead am flying nonstop Edmonton - Houston on Continental and then on to Fort Lauderdale. The chances of Houston being snowed in should be significantly less the other airports mentioned :D and even with bone chilling weather in January the planes can almost always still get out of Edmonton so I should have a half way decent chance of getting me to my Eurodam cruise.

I am, however, taking no chances and am going a full day early just in case. ;)

WRP, yes after I got passed step one I was notified of the fee for bags for the United portion. The fare was pretty good so we went for it! It will be the first time in my life that I have had to pay for luggage but I think it's going to be the norm soon.

tcook, we always go in a day earlier too, from Calgary. Now with all of this info on different routes we will never go through TO again! Back in 2006 we actually had non stop from Calgary to Fort Lauderdale...boy I miss those days!

We flew from Vancouver to Houston to FLL on Continental and it was really a quick trip. It seems like from the West it is a better bet connecting in Dallas or Houston. I think avoiding that weather etc back east would be good too if you are flying during the winter months.

WRP, yes after I got passed step one I was notified of the fee for bags for the United portion.

Just didn't want it to surprise you.

Have a wonderful time in San Diego, one of my favorite cities. For your flight into San Diego, get seats on the lefthand side of the plane - fabulous views as you come into land.:)

In Terminal One they have a baggage claim inside security for PAX connecting from or to an international airport but still departing on a Terminal One flight.

I'm sure this thread is now dead but I need to correct this mis-information. I was quite sincere when I posted it but when I embarked to inform a family memeber from Edmonton where to go for this baggage claim, well it just was not true. Very sorry for this. Here is a link to videos of the path for making the connections either at terminal 1 or terminal 3. Unfortunately you do have to leave security to claim your bags.

http://www.airportwayfinder.com/wayfinders/yyz/?v=3_4

Hi Liftlock, I am a little confused now. Don't worry I would never be mad at you or anyone for giving advice...it is my job to check the facts! I thought of calling the airlines (AC/United) to verify that we wouldn't have to pick up our bags but I knew that I would get a few different answers each time I called so I went for it! So...are you saying that from SAN-SFO-YYC (Calgary) I will have to pick up my bags in SFO even though I am not in Canada Customs yet? I guess I figured from all of these responses that when going from the US to US and then onto Canada that they would transfer the bags for us! Yikes...with only one hour to spare I know we won't make it now! Probably cheaper to stay at the Fairmont than to pay all the fees for changing the flight!

Can you confirm that this is what you are telling me? Thanks for your concern!

Hi Liftlock, I am a little confused now. Don't worry I would never be mad at you or anyone for giving advice...it is my job to check the facts! I thought of calling the airlines (AC/United) to verify that we wouldn't have to pick up our bags but I knew that I would get a few different answers each time I called so I went for it! So...are you saying that from SAN-SFO-YYC (Calgary) I will have to pick up my bags in SFO even though I am not in Canada Customs yet? I guess I figured from all of these responses that when going from the US to US and then onto Canada that they would transfer the bags for us! Yikes...with only one hour to spare I know we won't make it now! Probably cheaper to stay at the Fairmont than to pay all the fees for changing the flight!

Can you confirm that this is what you are telling me? Thanks for your concern!

Hello, sorry for the confusion. In your case, I would expect the bags to be checked through to Calgary from San Diego. Then you would claim them and clear customs in Calgary.

My comments were referencing Toronto ( YYZ ) for passengers connecting between USA flights and Domestic Canadian flights. I had indicated earlier that in Toronto Terminal 1, passengers would not have to go through security while making their connection. That is not the case. Sorry again.

Archived