Mississippi River Boat Cruises

Cruiser33713

I assume that you are talking about overnight river cruises. Right now there is no company operating. Cruise West wanted to start a new business in 2011 but they went bankrupt recently.

American Cruise Lines is currently building a new paddlewheel boat (no steam) which is coming out in 2012. More here.

There are a bunch of smaller boats which are offering multi day cruises but you stay in a hotel and cruise overnight. The riverboat Twilight is offering 2 day cruises. The Spirit of Peoria has a couple of multi day cruises on the Illinois river. The Belle of Cincinnati offers a multi day cruise on the Ohio river (I think in early November). But that´s more or less it.

steamboats

I took the cruise on the Twilight quite a few years ago and loved it. Yes, it was an overnight stay at a hotel in Galena, Illinois (now the stay is in Dubuque, Iowa) but it was almost surreal being on the Mississippi River and having a Mark Twain impersonator telling stories. I would do it again.

I am very sorry, however, that I was never able to go on the Missippippi or Delta Queen.

Check out this company:

http://www.blountsmallshipadventures.com/category/all-adventures/

They have two adventures, Historic Rivers of America (Part 1 and Part 2) which go on the Mississippi River.

I do not know anything about the company but there was a link to this company in the Washington Post Travel Section several weeks ago.

Archived