Grandeur in need of Dry Dock

We never had any cold water. Being Diamond Plus, we have been on lots of ships, and we have even sailed the Grandeur before. Never again. The smell alone was enough not to sail with her again! I should have complained more than once. My room steward told me that there had been problems before with the drainage and sewage problems before. That smell can really ruin a cruise! The noise from outside on the balcony was inexcusable for that time of the night! I did not get a voucher or anything at all. I called three times - once to complain about the sewage rising from the bathroom drain and twice about the loud noise outside after 11 and 1. No one seemed to care. My steward did clean up the nasty mess in the bathroom. He was wonderful as he promised me that he would sterilize everything! I should have sent the clothes and shoes on the floor to be cleaned. I just threw them in the closet to dry and put them in a plastic bag to bring home. I was just too busy trying to have a good time to complain about it. I did not wish to have negative energy on my cruise! It turned out to be very disappointing, but what can you do when you are trying to make the best of your short time away from your children?

I wish that I had read your review before my cruise! (your review was excellent!) I was so busy with the start of school with my high school son and also with my daughter, who is a recent college grad. - she just moved in her first apartment with a new job! I knew I should have been reading Cruise Critic!!!! (I usually do!)

I know how your carpet got wet. I was just stunned to see the water rising from the drain in my bathroom when I was taking a bubble bath. I had a rough day of travel and after sail-away, I was trying to take a relaxing bath before dinner. It was shocking to see my cruise compasses floating by the tub....the water was just about to pour over the stainless steel door frame into the room. I was screaming to my husband as he helped me jump from the bathtub into the room to escape the gunk rising from the drain. It was disgusting!!!!!!!

I should have let them have it!!! I was just trying to be positive and have fun! It REALLY was disgusting!

I still have those clothes from the rising sewage in that bag. I am just going to throw them away!

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JS 7650!!!!!

It all started on my sailing (9/11/10)! :eek:

My review is here and I have pictures to prove it! It was sewage! I thought the same as all of you! But they kind of brushed me off when I mentioned that.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1277771

I can't believe they didn't fix it yet! :(

I know the person who stayed in that cabin the week before me and she didn't have the same issue. So something must have happened right before we stepped on. I know from reading the reviews that some people in a few cabins down on the sailing before mine were saying that they had "no hot water" -- maybe they were playing with the plumbing before my 9/11 sailing.

But when I got into the cabin, the floor was soaked. :eek:

I know how your carpet got wet. I was just stunned to see the water rising from the drain in my bathroom when I was taking a bubble bath. I was screaming to my husband as he helped me jump from the bathtub into the room to escape the gunk rising from the drain. It was disgusting!!!!!!!

YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Um' date=' yuck is right! I think I felt better about the whole thing when I just [i']thought[/i] it could be sewage. Ignorance is bliss. I didn't really want visual confirmation. :eek: LOL!

Oh geesh. Yeah they really need to do something about that.

Oh POO! This does not bode well!

After reading all the great reviews on cc, I booked a GS for the 10/18/10 cruise on the Grandeur last August. We're taking my DFL on this cruise for his 80th birthday.

Next thing I know, they discontinued the short-lived concierge lounge. Then we learned Captain Rob was leaving after the 9/11 cruise. And now the reports of sewage, odors, construction and crew changes.

I'm a little apprehensive with the latest reports from the Grandeur. Happy is what we make it, and I'll keep a positive attitude. Will post our review when we return on the 23rd.

Back to packing - we fly to Florida tomorrow!

E-

Thankfully, while we were in JS 7650 (Oct 9-14), there was no leaking sewage. The shower drain was very slow, however, and our toilet stopped flushing for 8 hours one day. We had to walk to the nearest public restroom, which is mid-ship, and down a couple of decks, to use the restroom. I suppose that's why they offered us the "future cruise credit" voucher. Of course, I've not received it yet, but I did get a letter stating that it would arrive in the mail shortly! Someone else that we met was in a JS on deck 8 in the rear. She said her bathroom flooded during the cruise, too! Also, during boarding on day 1, we noticed an inside room on deck 7 in the rear that was flooded and being "dryed out." I'm leaving for the Majesty this Monday for a B2B, and am looking forward to that refurbished ship....we love Majesty! Grandeur, not so much.....

Cruisinmama06, did you leave a small mini-bottle of scotch in the safe in JS 7650? We found one, and enjoyed it! Thanks! LOL LOL

LOL! Nope. :p Not us. You were in the cabin on 10/9, we got off on 9/16 -- so weeks had passed between my sailing and yours.

It must have been '80 Wolfpacker! Geesh, the poor woman was almost overtaken by rising sewage and now you drank her scotch! :eek:

lol -- you owe her a drink! ;):p

So did they fix the carpet when you were there? They tore it away from the wall to dry it.

We did have a problem with our toilet one night ..but they promply fixed it the next morning.

Our shower smells sorta funky, as well.. but it was nothing I even felt I needed to mention cause it wasn't a huge deal.

Sorry to hear about all the issues some of you've had!

Archived