Advice please - is this stroller suitable on a cruise?

lord500

Thoughts on the stroller  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Thoughts on the stroller

• Too Big - get an umbrella
    • fine for in port, too small for on the boat
    • Just right/ workable

Good evening folks,

Looking for your feedback.

My wife and I are taking our 8 month old on his first cruise next month (a 12 day cruise) and we want to ensure we've got a good stroller so we can enjoy some walking around in port. I've tried a couple of the umbrella ones before and they just seem small and I am always stepping on the wheels - I want to enjoy the walking around.

we have a 3 wheel suv type one like the one at the following link

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Trend-Sunsport-Lifestyle-Stroller-Glacier/13376709

resize?sq=500&uid=1838456233

what are your thoughts - is this small enough?

I know some have suggested to bring a smaller stroller then bigger - is this small enough?

What have you brought on board before and what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Brian

Good evening folks,

Looking for your feedback.

My wife and I are taking our 8 month old on his first cruise next month (a 12 day cruise) and we want to ensure we've got a good stroller so we can enjoy some walking around in port. I've tried a couple of the umbrella ones before and they just seem small and I am always stepping on the wheels - I want to enjoy the walking around.

we have a 3 wheel suv type one like the one at the following link

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Baby-Trend-Sunsport-Lifestyle-Stroller-Glacier/13376709

resize?sq=500&uid=1838456233

what are your thoughts - is this small enough?

I know some have suggested to bring a smaller stroller then bigger - is this small enough?

What have you brought on board before and what are your thoughts?

Thanks in advance for your feedback

Brian

I said fine for in port - great I think. And I think you could "get by with it" on the ship - after all, what are people going to do but move out of the way? However, as I am sure you know, certain areas of the ship, like the prominade or the ships get very crowded at times, and you would be struggling not to run into/over people. As long as you avoid those times/places, I think you should be fine.

Have you thought of some small bady carrier that you can put him in for easier movement around the ship? I was a huge fan of those things, and then went to putting them on my shoulders as they got older and could walk - seems that's all they wanted to do!:D

I think width is the most important thing about a stroller on a cruise. I've brought large tandem double strollers on most of my cruises and had no problem because they were narrow enough to pass through the corridors, through the dining room and on deck. I wouldn't want to have to deal with something wider.

Best,

Mia

Personally I hate umbrella strollers, I'm tall enough that I have to bend over too far to push them comfortably long distances, and my legs are long enough that I kick the stupid things, but on a cruise I think I would go for one, just because they fold up so small and storage is at a premium in the cabin. As for moving around on the ship, I honestly have no idea. It's been a long time since I've been on a cruise. But I can imagine that a big stroller might be a bit of a pain to move around the crowded public areas. Like a PP mentioned though, people don't have much choice but to move out of the way.

I would look at what ports you are going to, what ship you are going on and think about the necessity for a good stroller in the ports vs. the size of the stroller on the ship.

hope I helped.

daze

lord500: I think it's fine. Just be mindful of the often crowded main decks so that you don't "run into" others with the front wheel. Believe me, I'm not saying you'd be careless or anything, but passengers tend to stop abruptly, weave around each other, and get in pretty close quarters. In the passageways, I think you'd have no problem because the stroller isn't too wide. But I disagree with the notion (not yours, I realize) that everyone should just "move out of the way" onboard because that's too much of the "me first" attitude, IMO. As long as you are aware of possible blockages (e.g., cabin stewards carts can block 1/2 the passageway) and don't block traffic or expect the way to be cleared for you, no problem whatsoever. It's pretty easy to politely navigate around each other as needed.

beachchick

we saw someone last week with that same stroller all over the ship so Im sure it was fine, you may just have to wait for an elevator. We love our peg perego Aria because its small enough to fit all over the ship and light enough to carry folded down a flight of stairs if needed

I checked the width on the link you provided, and this particular stroller is 22.5" wide, probably just narrow enough to squeeze through the 24" cabin doorways (important when returning a sleeping child to the cabin). You should be good to go.

Like many have said..get as narrow as possible. Also try to book a cabin close to an elevator bank. This way you do not have to push down long cabin hallways that might be filled with housekeeping carts. The cabin hallways are the tightest spots on the ship. Everywhere else you should be fine.

Like many have said..get as narrow as possible. Also try to book a cabin close to an elevator bank. This way you do not have to push down long cabin hallways that might be filled with housekeeping carts. The cabin hallways are the tightest spots on the ship. Everywhere else you should be fine.

I second the wearable baby carrier suggestion for on the ship. Maybe even for in port, depending on what you plan to be doing.

Keep in mind your port activities before you decide on a particular stroller:

- Are you going to spend a lot of time on the beach? If so, can you push the stroller around on the sand?

- Does your excursion require a cab ride or bus/van transportation? If so can this stroller fold up small enough to fit in the cab trunk/bus/van?

- What about a car seat? If you are going to require motor transportation, will you be able to bring a car seat and keep up with it AND your stroller? Does the van/car/bus have seatbelts for the car seat? (Again, a wearable baby carrier would be a good solution here if seatbelts aren't the norm.)

- Do any of the ports require tendering?

- What are the sidewalks/roads like in the ports? Cobblestone? Narrow? Broken? Non-existent? Can this stroller be pushed easily across these surfaces? Uphill?

- Will there be many stairs involved?

I have the blue toy story umbrella stroller with a small canopy it was about $30 at KMart it worked out great on our last cruise with 17 month DS. We also have a larger stroller but the wheel just broke so it's kind of hard to steer so we took the umbrella. My biggest worry would be that I'd miss the cup holders and underneath storage basket on a standard stroller but I have a mini backpack that I hung on the handles facing me as I pushed the baby and it worked just as well to hold sippies/bottled water and such.

Looks fine to me. We used umbrellas with 6MO babies, and will again on this next one (at 13MO), but we got them because using either of the double strollers on a ship was not really feasible. I don't know that I'd have bought them if we didn't NEED them, but I'm glad we have them.

These are very cheap ones so they have very limited storage, but it's still workable. Besides the size and weight (which makes it possible to carry them up stairs... very handy on a ship) it's also nice to not have to worry too much about them getting dinged up.

- Are you going to spend a lot of time on the beach? If so, can you push the stroller around on the sand?

Is there such a thing as a stroller that is good in the sand? We have a BOB which requires almost no force on a normal surface and even it is a workout in sand. (Daddy likes to go offroad, and our subdivision is half sand) :D

I do agree with the baby carriers... but only if you're used to using them. We took them on the ship and never used them, probably because we never used them onshore. Just never got in the habit.

Personally, I think it is just a tad too wide. Someone mentioned a 24" wide door clearance......that amount does not include the frame of the door......it will be less! If it is not important to have to take the baby out of the stroller and collapse it when entering and leaving the room, then go for it. Otherwise I would consider something a bit narrower.

Is there such a thing as a stroller that is good in the sand? We have a BOB which requires almost no force on a normal surface and even it is a workout in sand. (Daddy likes to go offroad, and our subdivision is half sand) :D

I do agree with the baby carriers... but only if you're used to using them. We took them on the ship and never used them, probably because we never used them onshore. Just never got in the habit.

We too have a BOB and I would never subject it to an airplane ride as cargo! For that reason, we have a cheap umbrella stroller for travel, and I bring my ergo carrier to carry DS2 around. It works great in airports and tight quarters, and if you don't need it, you can fold it away easily. That being said we use our ergo regularly at home, so it's nothing new. The other thing is we can fold it up and store it away easily, usually the SUV type strollers don't fold all that well and unless you're in a monster cabin you're going to trip over it constantly. Plus I don't care if anyone brakes the umbrella stroller, I would be in tears if something happened to my BOB.

Archived