Grand Princess 2011 drydock

bob-a

I've been looking at May 2011 Transatlantic on 2 Princess ships, the Grand and the Crown. I had almost completely made my mind up to go with the Grand - and then saw comments about a scheduled drydock in April!:eek:

Haven't been able to get details, other than that the TA cruise will be the 1st sailing after drydock. Never sailed on a ship immediately out of drydock before - should I be concerned:confused:

And is there anywhere to go to get some details as to what is going to be done in drydock. Have sailed n the Grand before and loved it - just thought the question was worth asking.

You can look up a brochure now on the present deck layout then go to a Spring cruise and look at another and tell the differences. Probably, paint, new carpet, new mattresses, MUTS, and new restaurants. Depends on space available onboard and length of stay. Salt water is corrosive so it takes a lot of maintenence and barnacles are a problem so they have to be removed. If they dont get doen in drydock they may be doing work onboard while sailing and finish up a cafe or MUTS that way.

She already has MUTS and the Sanctuary but one might think that this time she might get the IC and Vines. The issue with drydocking tends to be the cruise prior to the drydocking with preparatory work being started but you seldom here complaints from people with post drydocking problems.

I just received an email from cruising friends who have just booked the March 28, 2011 fourteen day Caribbean cruise on the Grand. I'm pretty sure they don't know it is the last cruise before the drydock, so I will be calling them today to tell them and discuss other options. From what we have all read in the past, the last cruise before drydock can be problematic, to say the least!

• 3 months later...
I've been looking at May 2011 Transatlantic on 2 Princess ships, the Grand and the Crown. I had almost completely made my mind up to go with the Grand - and then saw comments about a scheduled drydock in April!:eek:

Haven't been able to get details, other than that the TA cruise will be the 1st sailing after drydock. Never sailed on a ship immediately out of drydock before - should I be concerned:confused:

And is there anywhere to go to get some details as to what is going to be done in drydock. Have sailed n the Grand before and loved it - just thought the question was worth asking.

I realize this is an older thread however Princess just released the dry dock information. Going on a ship after dry dock is not much of a problem...it is the couple voyages BEFORE the dry dock that is always hectic. This dry dock is going to be a MAJOR overhaul for her. They are going to completely remove Skywalkers and redo the Atrium as well. Here is a link of what the Grand will look like after the dry dock. http://www.flickr.com/photos/princesscruises/

Hope this helps.

Poorly designed - putting structural stress on aft sections of the ship.

Yeah I just received an e-mail from Corp and they explained it was a two fold reason..."structural integrity issues" and to "open up the aft deck to allow more natural sunlight for the pool area and for guests who wish to sunbathe".

Archived