Teenagers and Cunard

DebJef

I am keen to book the Queen Elizabeth for a couple of weeks during the Easter school holidays at the end of March 2012, and we'd be travelling with our (then) 16 year old daughter. The itinerary and ship looks lovely but it's clearly not geared up for kids despite having a 'Teen Zone'. None of the TAs I have spoken to went to see this area of the ship, and the brochure says very little. Now, I appreciate few people will have had any experience of travelling on the QE, but I guess the QV is very similar in this respect? Another option would be to plump for the QM2 which has a similar itinerary. Can anyone please advise me whether taking a lively teenager is just simply daft (she is used to cruises with kids' clubs and finding friends, although now a bit older) or whether one ship is a better option than another? We don't need hordes of teens, but none would be a disaster!

If you travel during School Holidays there will be plenty of teenagers around as Cunard have extended their Free Travel deal. whether you and your child like to dress up for the 4 formal evenings involved in a Transatlantic should also be a consideration.

I have travelled Cunard on quite a few occasions with grandchildren, and feel that the younger children are exceptionally well cared for. However, this line does not come anywhere near the top of the list when catering for older children, albeit there being a "zone" for their entertainment.

You must consider that the pools are very conventional (no organised games thank heavens!) and without slides, shutes and constant music. The traditional deck games are available but these might seem very mundane to the age group you refer.

Of course in school holidays there will be a larger number of children than usual as the previous poster pointed out, but on our last cruise in August I believe there were less than 200 youngsters on a 14 night trip; 2 of these were in our family age 5 & 1. They had a marvellous time.

I am sure if you search the threads on this board you will find some very useful information about your concerns.

depends on the interests of the teen involved i remember my 1st cruise on QE2 when i was 16 it was all i could dream of ever doing but that was because i was interested in cunard and their history along with some of the other offerings onboard but if no iterests whatso ever all i can advise is it would be best to book a cruise with asmany port call as possible to avoid bordem. hope this helps

Thank you - those replies were actually more positive than I was expecting! I think the QE is a definite possibility.

hopethis helps more just spoke to some family onboard with there 2 teens and they are absolutly loving it there even saying theres too much to do

Hubby and I plus two teenagers 17(girl) and 15(boy), spent 21 days on QM2 in February as part of the World Cruise and they had a fabulous time. This was our second trip having done a TA in 2006 with them, which they also loved. They always found something to do, with or without us, together or with others. We did find there were more kids their age on the TA than the WC,but this didnt distract from them having fun on the WC segment. They really enjoyed things like trivia, ,the pools, spas, table tennis tournaments,the music provided by "vibes", sun bathing,gym really there is alot for them, my son wants me to mention the food buffet and room service (15 year old boy!!!).

They both enjoyed the evening meals in Brittania and dressing for the occasions, actually after a while were more keen than us!!!!!!

A plus for both was they enjoyed the company of people of all ages and nationalities and could strike up conversations with most people. The staff were also great with both of them.

All in all my two would go again without a second thought.

I went on the QV with my teenage daughter in Aug. She loved it as i am sure your daughter will. She made some great friends and then we did not see very much of her at all . Some nights we were back in stateroom before her. The shows in the theatre are fantastic. The food is to die for, and the service you receive from all staff is second to none. We tried to book for the QE for same time next year but it is fully booked already. We will now have to wait until 2012, as my wife and daughter do not want to go with any other cruise line. Have a great time.

Archived