When it's time to go home?

Wecruise8

I read that you can haul your own luggage (no putting out the night before) and get off the ship on your own, no waiting somewhere to get off with a group. Is this true and how do you arrange it?
A few days before disembarkation, you'll receive a form to fill out with your disembarkation plans. Just check "self-disembarkation." You will be given a color for the time to disembark; there are usually at least a couple of times. Those doing self-disembarkation aren't necessarily the first off the ship. You will need to be able to handle all of your luggage, carry-ons, etc. and have a hand free to manage the escalator. In FLL, there is someone at the top of the escalators checking to make sure and turning away those who can't. They can take the elevator but there is usually a very long line and with all the luggage, not many can fit in each elevator.

I read that you can haul your own luggage (no putting out the night before) and get off the ship on your own, no waiting somewhere to get off with a group. Is this true and how do you arrange it?

We did it only once but because the elevators were so hard to get on, we ended bouncing our bags down the stairs to get off the ship.

We just did this last week. As Pam mentioned, you will get a form to fill out for disembarkation. The self propelled leaving is crowd controlled so fill the thing out and take it down to the Pursers Desk ASAP. They had three groups of maybe 35 to 50 people on our cruise. We were group one (of the three), or "Express One" and asked to be in one of the dining rooms at 8AM. Group two, 8:15AM and Group three, 8:30AM. We went a little early. Our ship was cleared around 8:10, all the folks needing assistance were called off first, just about 8:35 our group was called to disembark.

In our case we only needed to go down one deck so took the stairs.

I think the best advice is "don't bite off more than you can chew." As long as you can carry your bag (you may need to do that on stairs) you will be fine.

By the way, in our case. No colors, but we were given a card with the group number, that was shown on the way out.

Chuck

We just did this last week. As Pam mentioned, you will get a form to fill out for disembarkation. The self propelled leaving is crowd controlled so fill the thing out and take it down to the Pursers Desk ASAP. They had three groups of maybe 35 to 50 people on our cruise. We were group one (of the three), or "Express One" and asked to be in one of the dining rooms at 8AM. Group two, 8:15AM and Group three, 8:30AM. We went a little early. Our ship was cleared around 8:10, all the folks needing assistance were called off first, just about 8:35 our group was called to disembark.

In our case we only needed to go down one deck so took the stairs.

I think the best advice is "don't bite off more than you can chew." As long as you can carry your bag (you may need to do that on stairs) you will be fine.

By the way, in our case. No colors, but we were given a card with the group number, that was shown on the way out.

Chuck

Thats pretty late to be the first walk off group.

On the Emerald we met in the DR at 6:55 am and were off by 7:10.

A few days before disembarkation, you'll receive a form to fill out with your disembarkation plans. Just check "self-disembarkation." You will be given a color for the time to disembark; there are usually at least a couple of times. Those doing self-disembarkation aren't necessarily the first off the ship. You will need to be able to handle all of your luggage, carry-ons, etc. and have a hand free to manage the escalator. In FLL, there is someone at the top of the escalators checking to make sure and turning away those who can't. They can take the elevator but there is usually a very long line and with all the luggage, not many can fit in each elevator.

Did self disembark off the Golden and Diamond. Self "get off my ship" folk met in Explorer's (close to the Promenade departure ramp on both vessels). As you say you gotta be able to lug the works with you. It's just that there's that extra degree of difficulty with that 3-bottle box of Cruzan rums as wlel as the suitcases.

DW, friends and I are doing the Crown around Britain in Aug 11. Have done the Diamond and Grand class and was wondering on your feelings as to which class of vessel you preferred and secondly how you see the Crown compared to the other two (sic) classes. Thanks in advance.

Ciao for now!!!

DW, friends and I are doing the Crown around Britain in Aug 11. Have done the Diamond and Grand class and was wondering on your feelings as to which class of vessel you preferred and secondly how you see the Crown compared to the other two (sic) classes. Thanks in advance.
There are pluses and minus' to each ship. The Diamond has a covered pool area which is nice if the weather is cool or rainy. The Crown has the International Cafe and Adagio Lounge. I actually prefer the Royal/Ocean/Pacific and then the Coral/Island. Also like the Sun/Sea/Dawn Princess and consider all of the rest of the ships "Grand" class. I usually book a cruise based on itinerary, pricing and timing. Occasionally, such as my Amsterdam cruise in 2009 and my upcoming Oosterdam cruise, I'll book based on the ship. HAL's ships and itineraries going to Antarctica and the Norwegian fjords are much better than Princess, in my opinion.

Archived