Radiance of the Sea-Alaska-Jun2011

Hi,

Am planning our first Alaskan cruise and totally confused in deciding between Island Princess and Radiance of seas...

Island covers Glacier Bay and Radiance covers Hubbard Glacier...Which would you rate more scenic and not to be missed?

Also, we'll be cruising with my 3 yr old and to top that, we are vegetarians! I was kind of comforted after reading activities for kids onboard RCL but am still worried about having vegetarian options :(

Please help me out!

Hi,

Am planning our first Alaskan cruise and totally confused in deciding between Island Princess and Radiance of seas...

Island covers Glacier Bay and Radiance covers Hubbard Glacier...Which would you rate more scenic and not to be missed?

Also, we'll be cruising with my 3 yr old and to top that, we are vegetarians! I was kind of comforted after reading activities for kids onboard RCL but am still worried about having vegetarian options :(

Please help me out!

We have been on a number of cruises to Alaska, and Glacier Bay is much more beautiful. I believe only Princess and Holland America go to Glacier bay.

• 4 months later...

We've done cruises with stops at Glacier Bay, College Fjords, and Hubbard -- we've been flown onto a glacier near Juneau. All are lovely. So I'd vote that part of the itinerary a wash.

We've done two RCCI AK cruises, one Princess, and one with a company that is no longer in business. I absolutely LOVED RCCI Radiance of the Sea for AK. The ship has so many great places with great views -- and AK is the cruise to do if you are looking for views whilst sailing. So RCCI Radiance has my vote as far as ships are concerned.

Both lines have solid kids programs. My DD (now 15YO :eek:) has always really enjoyed RCCI's programs, so maybe a slight edge RCCI.

Whichever you choose, I hope you have a great time.

Ok I too am considering an Alaskan cruise on Radinace in 2013.....can you tell me is it ever warm? (Sorry if this is a dumb question) I love the caribbean sun, so Alaska seems less appealing to me then my DH, but we have done 7 Caribbean cruises, so its time for a change. When would the nest time to sail be and will I ever be able to wear a suit and enjoy a pool????

You need to pick the itinerary you want first, then the ship. As you can see from my signature we aren't line loyal (guess it will take a while to build up any kind of points!). You may want to ask over on the Alaska board about cruises to Alaska. You will get great information there.

Our cruise to Alaska will be on Holland America because they go to Glacier Bay. The federal government only releases a certain number of permits to sail into the bay and Princess and HAL get the majority. The park rangers will come aboard and will tell you about the history of the bay and they will bring native Alaskans aboard as well. Although your kiddo is only three, they also do a "Junior Ranger" program for school age kids. We chose HAL also because they have smaller ships and they will allow us out on the bow during the sailing in Glacier Bay. We will have a total of 10 on our cruise, with 4 kids- 17, 14 and two 12 year olds. Two have sailed on HAL before- the Caribbean, Panama Canal, Hawaii. The line is not full of "q-tips" (white hair, white shoes!) as some would have you believe.

Alaska is port intensive, so we know the kids won't be bored. We have also seen some of the programs from other Alaska sailings and they have a ton of things for the kids to do.

On both Disney and RCCL we found that there were plenty of vegetarian dishes to choose from at all meals. If you have certain requirements or allergies the lines will accommodate you as long as you give them enough notice.

To RN- you may want to pick a ship designed for Alaska. The Radiance is one as she has a covered pool, so are some of the Princess ships and the HAL ships that sail to Alaska. Disney is sending up a ship designed for warm weather sailing- no covered pool. We are going in June and expect to be able to enjoy the pools.

Have fun planning! We have been looking forward to our trip for over a year.

Ok I too am considering an Alaskan cruise on Radinace in 2013.....can you tell me is it ever warm? (Sorry if this is a dumb question) I love the caribbean sun, so Alaska seems less appealing to me then my DH, but we have done 7 Caribbean cruises, so its time for a change. When would the nest time to sail be and will I ever be able to wear a suit and enjoy a pool????

That part of Alaska - during the late Spring -Summer (cruise season) will never be COLD (I know that is subjective, but when one thinks of Alaska you immediately think of heavy parkas etc ... that is in places like Fairbanks, not Juneau.)

When I was cruising in May, I found the weather to be cool but fairly mild. Dress in layers, you will be perfectly fine. I think the actual temp was mid to highish 50's - low 60's. Not the Caribbean, but far from freezing.

The scenery was absolutely breathtaking!! So worth it!!! Hope this helps :)

As far as swimming ... take advantage of the Solarium (adult area indoor pool) and the Thermal Spa :D

Temperatures will depend on the region of Alaska you are in. The interior locations such as Fairbanks can see temperatures in the 80's at times while along the coast you may find temperatures in the 60's. Dress in layers and you will be fine for whatever weather conditions you encounter. We frequently wore shorts on our landtour. The longest days will be around the summer solstice in late June so that will be the most popular time. However, that will be the time when fares are highest. There are no guarantees about the weather and, as I said, Alaska is so vast that weather conditions can vary considerably depending on the region being discussed.

On Radiance of the Seas, the enclosed solarium will permit you to wear your bathing suit and enjoy the pool regardless of the weather.

As far as Hubbard Glacier vs Glacier Bay, we have been to both and enjoyed each immensely so I can't honestly recommend one over the other. I must say that the calving that we saw last year at Hubbard Glacier was spectacular.

If you have the time and money i strongly recommend adding a land tour to your Alaskan cruise. Fairbanks is a fun place to visit and Denali is absolutely fascinating. RCI included the Tundra Wilderness tour in our package, while our cruisetour with Princes gave us only the Natural History Tour. Based on our observations and the general consensus of folks who have visited Denali, the TWT is far superior.

Check out the Alaska board for detailed information about the great state of Alaska.:)

I travel to Ak alot for work. Depending on when you go, it can either be hot (as in suburn hot) or chilly (60's).

For example, I was in Juneau in early July - surprisingly got a sunburn. Same with Kenai/fairbanks.

The year before, I was again in Juneau in early August and it was slightly chilly.

A few weeks can make a big difference

I know exactly how you feel. I would freeze in the tropics. We have taken, and are about to take our eighth cruise to the Caribbean. However, that said, we took the Radiance of the Seas to Alaska last August (13th to be exact). Radiance has a solarium pool (that is supposed to be adults only), but I never used it.

The weather was great for that time of year - one day it was 80 deg. For the most part, I took a "cuddle dud" undershirt, a regular t-shirt and a jogging suit, or two for most days. I also took only a fleece hoodie. I was never terribly cold or uncomfortable and have to say that Alaska is truly "God's backyard". I can't wait to go again. I am sure you will love it as the beautiful scenery will take your breath away.

Hubbard Glacier was extraordinary and so big!!

Happy cruising

Kathy

Celebrity Millenium 2002

Celebrity Century 2003

Navigator of the Sea 2004

Celebrity Constellation 2005

Celebrity Millenium 2006

Celebrity Constellation 2007

New baby twins 2008

Liberty of the Seas 2009

Radiance of the Seas 2010

Jewel of the Seas 2011