Cloud vs. Whisper

AlanR2

Advice needed. My wife and I have a cruise in March in the Carrib booked on Silver Whisper. My friends want us to join them on the Cloud in January instead. Some of the reviews I have read for the Cloud are not all that favorable.

What she would do? Has the ship been refurbished lately? Is there a big difference? Shoud I talk them out of the Cloud?

This will be our first Silversea. We have sailed Regent, Seabourn and Windstar, plus all the standards.

Many thanks,

AlanR2

I too am booked in March on the Whisper (just returned from the Wind in the Med.) -- and I was on the refurbished Cloud October 2009 -- both are wonderful ships.

Many veteran Silversea cruisers say the Cloud is their favorite -- a good friend says Whisper. I've sailed on all (except PAII) since my initial voyage on Wind in 1996 -- and they are all my favorites.

Main difference is in the bathroom. Whisper and Shadow have stall showers in addition to tubs, plus twin sinks. The baths on the smaller Wind and Cloud are not as spacious. March in the Caribbean will make the pool bar particularly attractive, but the smaller Cloud in January will be just as nice.

Look at the deck plans and cabin specs -- you can't go wrong on either.

P.S. Perhaps we'll meet on Whisper in March.....

The Whisper was the first ship we sailed on with Silversea and we have been on her more times than on the others. The bath is definately the plus over the smaller ships. However, we were on the Cloud earlier this year and it was without a doubt the best and most memorable cruise that we have been on. The only drawback with the Cloud is the bathroom - it is small. This did not deter us from booking another cruise on the Cloud for next year.

The itinerary and time of year tend to determine the mix of passengers you will have and I have found this to be a more significant factor with the cruise rather than the Silversea ship I am on.

Either ship you decide, you will not go wrong.

It's not just the bathroom which is significantly larger on the Whisper, it's the entire suite which is 287 sq., ft. of interior space instead of 240.

wripro is correct that the suites (Vista/Veranda) are larger on the Shadow and Whisper than on the Cloud and Wind. Most of that space, however, was devoted to enlarging the bathroom and the walk in closet. There is not much difference in the size of the sleeping and sitting areas. I, for one, am perfectly happy with this. I very much prefer having the separate shower stall. A tub on board a ship is great for soaking, but on a moving vessel, I always feel more secure taking a shower in a shower stall than in an open tub. Also, the double sink isn't necessary but it is a nice thing to have. Nothing conveys "luxury" more than spaciousness.

-Peter

Archived