sign herself out of camp carnival?

thelioness1210

My question is about Camp Carnival. My daughter will be 9 when we cruise and Im not completely comfortable with her signing herself out. In fact Im not comfortable at all with it. But I know one of the things she really wants to do is a scavanger hunt which I read somewhere you have to be able to sign yourself out to participate. So I guess what Im asking is Can I have her be signed in by my husband and I and then when its time for the scavanger hunt come sign her out? (i dont want her roaming the ship alone so I would go with her on the scavanger hunt, not helping just making sure she is safe) Any thoughts on this from anyone?

You don't have to allow her to sign herself out....yes..it may affect the things she will be able to do....I'd wait and see how things are onboard and then decide whether to let her have fun or not! At 9, she really shouldn't need someone to watch her 24/7!

We weren't comfortable with our son signing in and out at 9, but knew he would want to do the scavenger hunts. Our solution was to let him have sign in/sign out privileges, but walk son to the place where Camp Carnival activities were taking place (a lot of times it's one of the lounges not in use during the day) and meet him there at the conclusion of the Camp Carnival activities.

On the scavenger hunts - they divide the kids into teams, so they're not alone doing the hunt.

We weren't comfortable with our son signing in and out at 9, but knew he would want to do the scavenger hunts. Our solution was to let him have sign in/sign out privileges, but walk son to the place where Camp Carnival activities were taking place (a lot of times it's one of the lounges not in use during the day) and meet him there at the conclusion of the Camp Carnival activities.

On the scavenger hunts - they divide the kids into teams, so they're not alone doing the hunt.

Thanks so much for the info, that makes me feel a lot better that they do it in teams. And that is probally they way to do it, walking her to each event and just disscussing with her that it is not ok to just leave to find us (that would be a big fear of mine) If the child has sign out privledges do you still get a beeper or cell phone? (If she wanted us to come get her earlier than we had planned can they contact us?)

Phones/Beepers are usually only given to parents of kids 5 and under. You can request one for older children, but they are not guaranteed. If you know where you will be, she could ask the camp staff to call you. If not, they are always two way radios.

Phones/Beepers are usually only given to parents of kids 5 and under. You can request one for older children, but they are not guaranteed. If you know where you will be, she could ask the camp staff to call you. If not, they are always two way radios.

ok two way radio it is. Does anyone know if the 9 yrs olds are anywhere near where the 5 yrs olds are? My son will be in the 5 yr old group maybe they could call that beeper/cell phone? (sorry never cruised before)

ok two way radio it is. Does anyone know if the 9 yrs olds are anywhere near where the 5 yrs olds are? My son will be in the 5 yr old group maybe they could call that beeper/cell phone? (sorry never cruised before)
If you're sailing on Miracle, they probably won't be near each other during the day. Camp Carnival is on deck 5 all the way forward, and that is where your 5 YO will be. The 9-11s will probably use one of the lounges on deck 2 during the day (last year they used the disco during the day). After dinner they may move the 9-11s up to Camp Carnival, so they'll be near each other then.

We just returned from the Carnival Splendor. We initially didn't allow our 9 year old to sign out, but after talking with him, we changed it so he could go on the scavenger hunt. They were in groups of about 6, and weren't "out" long. We told our son that he was NOT to leave camp, except for the bathroom, or scavenger hunt. He is a good listener and loved camp, and was happy to stay in and not sign himself out.

We did see some kids be dropped off by their parents, and then 10 minutes later sign themselves out and run around the ship. That's exactly what we didnt' want happening and it didn't.

When my daughter was 8 on a Princess ship, we didn't let her sign in and out. So when it was time for the scavenger hunt, she did it accompanied with one of the camp counselor. In fact, they found us at the buffet and my hubby signed off on one square (plays chess), but I couldn't honestly sign off on the remaining ones (Hates pineapple or wears dentures).

So maybe you can ask at the registration meeting how it's usually arranged for the younger kids (around 7-9)?

Archived