Cococay Snorkel Question - Jellyfish?

taliho621

I know, it sounds like a wierd post, but bear with me. We'll be at Cococay this weekend, and i would like to go snorkeling with my kids. However, when we were at Grand Cayman this summer, we did a Stingray City/snorkeling trip, and 3-4 people on our snorkel boat got stung by jellyfish, including my sister-in-law, who got maybe 8-10 stings (and they were painful). So now my daughter will not snorkel unless she can be absolutely sure there are no jellyfish.

So can anyone share recent experiences? Any jellyfish? Anybody you know get stung? (yes, I know there are no guaranties, but anecdotal evidence as to how likely we will run into some of the little guys is most welcome)

Thanks in advance.

• 2 weeks later...
I know, it sounds like a wierd post, but bear with me. We'll be at Cococay this weekend, and i would like to go snorkeling with my kids. However, when we were at Grand Cayman this summer, we did a Stingray City/snorkeling trip, and 3-4 people on our snorkel boat got stung by jellyfish, including my sister-in-law, who got maybe 8-10 stings (and they were painful). So now my daughter will not snorkel unless she can be absolutely sure there are no jellyfish.

So can anyone share recent experiences? Any jellyfish? Anybody you know get stung? (yes, I know there are no guaranties, but anecdotal evidence as to how likely we will run into some of the little guys is most welcome)

Thanks in advance.

I'm not sure if it is the same in the Bahamas, but living in Hawaii for the past three years I can tell you that (Box) jellyfish come in 8-12 days after a full moon because of tides- I am not sure if this is exclusive to Hawaii (it might be) but it might be worth a check!

• 4 weeks later...

We just were on the Enchantment of the Seas and my niece was "bit" by something that initially started as a red area but soon developed into a welt like lump. When I was stung by a jellyfish in FL, this is how my skin reacted. She kept stating that the area felt like a strong burning feeling. She is 15 years old and not usually a complainer but this she definitely described as painful. We were there on 11/24/2010. There was another woman who soon afterwards complained of the same sensation on her arm. The tide was going out at the time but was very close to low tide. I don't believe anyone actually saw any jellyfish but I truely believe that is what came in contact with my niece.

Archived