Dream 10/9 Eastern

DDFla

I did not originally book this trip, my stepdaughter and son-in-law did and asked us to go along. I did have concerns about the bad reviews the Dream was receiving and was also concerned about cruising in October in the Caribbean. This was the first cruise for my mother, so I was excited for her.

10/8 Stayed at the Radisson in Port Canaveral. If you live more than three hours from Port this is a great place to stay. I’m not sure I would go to the trouble again with the short distance I live from the Port, but I’m glad I tried it once. We did meet several members of our Roll Call and became immediate friends with several. The Hotel is nice and convenient to the Port and with the parking included, cost effective. It was a little slow getting everyone to the Port, but that was to be expected as everyone at the hotel it seemed was going on the cruise. The pick up on debarkation day was very prompt for us. It would have been nice to have a continental breakfast for the amount the room was. The pool is very nice and the entertainment / guitarist that night was very good. We ate at the Cove at one of the Restaurants that was ok, but not memorable, (I really can’t remember the name).

10/9 Embarkation went very smooth, for the most part. One person in our party had something in their baggage that they should have known not to have and was thoroughly searched as they should have been. We were on the Dream in about 30 minutes after arrival at the Port.

We went directly to the Pasta Bar on Lido as it is my youngest favorite food and had good reviews, it did not disappoint, brush up on your pasta terminology to enhance your experience.

I really like the addition of the numerous specialty food sections in the Gathering, and tried and enjoyed all but the Lanai BBQ, it rained the last day I had set aside to try it and it was cancelled, but the ribs looked great. If you eat early or late, the lines are not any worse than any other ship I have been on. I never waited over five minutes in the mornings for my daily omelet. Lunch was similar in my opinion. Either the coffee has improved, or my taste has deteriorated in the last year.

Our luggage arrived at our room prior to Sail Away and my wife and I missed the actual Sail Away as we never heard or noticed the ship departure. Most of our afternoon was spent in the hot tubs that are not very hot, but are nice nonetheless. We never waited to get in a hot tub the entire cruise and were never over crowded. That is one pleasant upgrade on the Dream for me.

Evening meals in the Scarlet Dining room were nice, about what I expected, but perhaps a little below what we experienced on the Inspiration last year. However, once you have had George the Greek as Maitre’d, everyone else pales in comparison. Our waiter Andy had big shoes to fill as well, but ended up doing just fine. The Chef’s Art Steak House is not to be missed! Well worth the $30pp. Next trip I have to try the Chefs Table, it got a good review from a trusted source.

10/10 Nassau - We did not plan the day other than deciding to visit Atlantis on our own. You are pounced upon exiting the dock with taxi drivers. Hint, put them all off until you make it out of the actual area and are standing beside one that is almost full at the exit. And don’t be surprised if it smells like you are sitting on a kilo…I mean “Cuban” Cigar as the driver claimed. Atlantis is very clean, American, expensive, and limited on a Sunday morning. We finished the day off walking around the straw market area and heading back to the ship early. I am not impressed with Nassau. I have traveled the small islands of the Abaco’s numerous times and prefer them.

th_100_0983-1.jpg

th_100_0986-1.jpg

th_100_0988-1.jpg

10/11 We spent most of our sea days around the pools or Serenity. We never had trouble finding chairs, but we usually get an early start. The wicker furniture in Serenity is a nice addition and they could add a few dozen hammocks.

th_100_0990-1.jpg

th_100_0991-1.jpg

th_100_0992-1.jpg

th_PA050045.jpg

10/12 St Thomas - I booked Sunyata Charters for a half day sail and snorkel. Captain Andy picked us up on time at the head of the ship Dock. A short trip out of the harbor and across the pass to “Buck” Island where most of the tour groups run their half day trip. We arrived as most of these groups were leaving having the “Bay” to ourselves for the most part. Andy provides plenty of adult beverages and good quality gear. This was one of the better snorkel trips I have been on and I have been on many. I am a former charter boat owner/Captain and for what my opinion is worth, Andy does a good job, and is very reasonable.

10/13 St Maarten – We combined our tour from Bernards with some from our Roll Call. Maybe the expectation was a little high, but the trip was just ok. The guide tried, but maybe too hard. Orient Beach was my highlight, as well as Maho. Orient Beach I would return to, Maho and the tour, probably not. There were some issues that Bernard more than took care of after the tour.

Debarkation – We did self assist and were off the ship, cleared customs, and out of the terminal in less than 30 minutes, and as I mentioned above, the Radisson shuttle was waiting for us.

Final thoughts – The Dream is not the horrible failure some would have you believe. Yes I did smell the infamous smell as we were leaving the dock in Nassau, (Right behind the Oasis of the Seas at that time actually), and one of the last nights in the hallways. It is nothing I haven’t experienced on every ship I’ve been on though. The steam room in the men’s sauna did not work the entire cruise, I want my money back! I had to use the regular coed sauna!!!

10/12 St Thomas - I booked Sunyata Charters for a half day sail and snorkel. Captain Andy picked us up on time at the head of the ship Dock. A short trip out of the harbor and across the pass to “Buck” Island where most of the tour groups run their half day trip. We arrived as most of these groups were leaving having the “Bay” to ourselves for the most part. Andy provides plenty of adult beverages and good quality gear. This was one of the better snorkel trips I have been on and I have been on many. I am a former charter boat owner/Captain and for what my opinion is worth, Andy does a good job, and is very reasonable.

DD...First thanks for sharing your cruise with us. Seems like overall you had a good cruise. I've noticed on the St Thomas board that there is concern that Sunyata may no longer be in business. The website is down, rumor that the boat is for sale or sold, and some cruisers with bookings coming up have not yet had a response from Andy. Was there anything on your recent excursion that may have led you to beleive he was hoisting his anchor?

DD...First thanks for sharing your cruise with us. Seems like overall you had a good cruise. I've noticed on the St Thomas board that there is concern that Sunyata may no longer be in business. The website is down, rumor that the boat is for sale or sold, and some cruisers with bookings coming up have not yet had a response from Andy. Was there anything on your recent excursion that may have led you to beleive he was hoisting his anchor?

No but if he is selling, I may be interested. He tends bar part time at the marina at the head of the ship dock. I'll try and find out.

Some more of the final thoughts

The comedy club is very popular and it was difficult to get seating for many of the shows. I need free drinks on my next cruise!!! There is not enough pool space for all 4200 passengers to swim laps at the same time! Again, a future cruise credit should be issued! My experience on the Dream was favorable to say the least, actually it was better than I expected. I was talking to a fellow member of our Roll Call and we agreed that if you couldn’t find sometime you liked to eat, drink, place to sit, or thing to do, you weren’t trying very hard. Is the Dream perfect? No. Would I go on her again. Yes. Especially if Carnival changes Nassau as a Port for let’s say, Half Moon Cay? Have I found a better value for my money yet? No…but I am looking….

Here is the email address I have for him

cruznsouth@hotmail.com

Archived