Soup's on!

lochncup

Wow...these boards are terrific! I'm a newbie and am learning so much from you folks, so maybe you can address this issue. First I should say that I love to start my meal with a soup. I guess I classify myself as a fish vegetarian...ie no chicken or meat, just plain fish. Since most soups are made with a chicken/beef stock base, soups in restaurants are usually off limits for me. I always ask the waitstaff if it's a vegetarian stock or not and they look at me like I have 2 heads! Or they assure me it's a vegetarian soup only to come back after checking w/the chef to tell me that the soup has chicken or beef stock after all. I'm just concerned that there may be a bit of a language barrier in the MDR and am concerned that the waiter will just assume that if it's some kind of a vegetable soup it is surely vegetarian. So, here's my question. Who should I speak to in order to ensure that the soup offered on the Summit is completely vegetarian?

Wow...these boards are terrific! I'm a newbie and am learning so much from you folks, so maybe you can address this issue. First I should say that I love to start my meal with a soup. I guess I classify myself as a fish vegetarian...ie no chicken or meat, just plain fish. Since most soups are made with a chicken/beef stock base, soups in restaurants are usually off limits for me. I always ask the waitstaff if it's a vegetarian stock or not and they look at me like I have 2 heads! Or they assure me it's a vegetarian soup only to come back after checking w/the chef to tell me that the soup has chicken or beef stock after all. I'm just concerned that there may be a bit of a language barrier in the MDR and am concerned that the waiter will just assume that if it's some kind of a vegetable soup it is surely vegetarian. So, here's my question. Who should I speak to in order to ensure that the soup offered on the Summit is completely vegetarian?

You need to talk with the special needs department of the cruise line, and tell them of your food concerns. What will happen is that on the first day you'll meet with the maitre D (or his designate) who will go through the menu with you, and you can ask about how each dish is prepared. He'll help you figure out which you can..and cannot...eat,

and then when you come to the table for meals, your specially prepared foods will be brought to you. So you won't have to ask each meal..just remind them that there is a special meal prepared for you.

Note that not only are soups often made with a chicken or meat stock base, so are many sauces that are put on vegetables, so you might want to avoid those as well.

You may have to hunt around a bit to find someone at the buffet, however. Sometimes the maitreD will work with you to identify foods on the buffet you can eat, but that's not always dependable.

As I recall the ship had a few cold veggie soups on our last cruise. Not sure if there was any protein broth in it.

For sure you want to meet with the maitre d on the first full day, who will help or he'll set up a meeting with someone who can.

Welcome aboard! You are going to love Celebrity. Somewhere on this board is posted the menues for something close to a 14 day trip or more. Check this posting out! Celebrity generally has a nice selection of Vegetaria dishes and fish dishes on both the buffet lines and in the main and specialty restraunts. With the new Marketplace, you should find a very nice selection of Indian dishes, many of which are veggie. The food in the AquaSpa (generally in the Solarium) also has a nice selection of food that should suit your needs. Speak with the Special Needs folks as well, but I am fairly certain you will not need any type of special request with the selections already available.

PS check out the soups on the posted menus. Haveing tried most of the cold fruit and vegiie soups (as well as many of the others) I think you will be pleasantly suprised!:D

Archived