Day Room at JFK ??

VIRGINCRUISER1066

Hello,

I wil be disembarking the QM2 at Brooklynn and have a flight from JFK at 18.30 that evening. Does anyone know if:-

JFK have day rooms and at what cost?

Who do I contact ?

Is there anything I can see around the airport to while away the time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jennie

Hello,

I wil be disembarking the QM2 at Brooklynn and have a flight from JFK at 18.30 that evening. Does anyone know if:-

JFK have day rooms and at what cost?

Who do I contact ?

Is there anything I can see around the airport to while away the time?

Any help would be greatly appreciated

Jennie

You will be hard pressed to get a "day room" at a "day room rate" around JFK. The hotels are dumps around JFK-even the best of the lot. And they will charge you for the full day and often you cannot check in until noon or later. NOTHING to do around the airport. You can get in a taxi and go to Coney Island/Little Siberia in Brighton Beach. Other than that, can't think of much to do that works with your cruise and flights.

If it was my trip and I had that much time, I would get a taxi/car service into Manhattan, check my luggage at Schwartz travel, go exploring, then collect my luggage and go straight to the airport. NO rest and NO shower doing it that way (BUT you can buy a day pass to an airline club at JFK and get a shower if you want). JMHO

You will be hard pressed to get a "day room" at a "day room rate" around JFK. The hotels are dumps around JFK-even the best of the lot. And they will charge you for the full day and often you cannot check in until noon or later. NOTHING to do around the airport. You can get in a taxi and go to Coney Island/Little Siberia in Brighton Beach. Other than that, can't think of much to do that works with your cruise and flights.

If it was my trip and I had that much time, I would get a taxi/car service into Manhattan, check my luggage at Schwartz travel, go exploring, then collect my luggage and go straight to the airport. NO rest and NO shower doing it that way (BUT you can buy a day pass to an airline club at JFK and get a shower if you want). JMHO

Thank you so much for your information, it has been really helpfull.

Jennie xx

We're returning on a 20.20 hr flight from JFK after arriving in the morning on QM2 (16th Nov). Never been to New York before so want to make best use of day. The earlier post mentioned Schwartz Travel - is there a left luggage facility there? Our package does include a coach to the airport so would we be able to leave luggage there and return easily into Manhatten? Thanks to anyone who can recommend something!

We're returning on a 20.20 hr flight from JFK after arriving in the morning on QM2 (16th Nov). Never been to New York before so want to make best use of day. The earlier post mentioned Schwartz Travel - is there a left luggage facility there? Our package does include a coach to the airport so would we be able to leave luggage there and return easily into Manhatten? Thanks to anyone who can recommend something!

Schwartz Travel is a luggage storage facility located in Manhattan (2 locations.) http://www.schwartztravel.com/

Your ship docks in Brooklyn, and I assume your bus to the airport departs from the cruise terminal. You will have to find transportation for yourself and your luggage from the cruise pier to one of the Schwartz Travel locations in Manhattan...a taxi would likely be best. Then spend several hours in Manhattan, pick up your luggage at Schwartz Travel, take a taxi back to the Brooklyn cruise terminal to meet your transportation to the airport. However, do you know what time your bus is scheduled to depart? Sometimes cruise lines have bus tour packages that include transportation to the airport in the afternoon, but in my experience (admittedly not with Cunard), if you are only purchasing transportation from the ship to the airport, those buses depart the cruise terminal in the morning shortly after disembarkation, and do not afford the opportunity to do any independent touring.

Schwartz Travel is a luggage storage facility located in Manhattan (2 locations.) http://www.schwartztravel.com/

Your ship docks in Brooklyn, and I assume your bus to the airport departs from the cruise terminal. You will have to find transportation for yourself and your luggage from the cruise pier to one of the Schwartz Travel locations in Manhattan...a taxi would likely be best. Then spend several hours in Manhattan, pick up your luggage at Schwartz Travel, take a taxi back to the Brooklyn cruise terminal to meet your transportation to the airport. However, do you know what time your bus is scheduled to depart? Sometimes cruise lines have bus tour packages that include transportation to the airport in the afternoon, but in my experience (admittedly not with Cunard), if you are only purchasing transportation from the ship to the airport, those buses depart the cruise terminal in the morning shortly after disembarkation, and do not afford the opportunity to do any independent touring.

Sorry, I didn't complete the above prior to posting.

Assuming your transportation to JFK departs the cruise pier shortly after disembarkation, it doesn't make sense from either a travel time or financial perspective to then travel by taxi to Manhattan from JFK with your luggage, leave it at Schwartz Travel, spend some time in Manhattan, retrieve your luggage and take a taxi back to JFK.

If you can get your airport bus transportation costs refunded, I suggest taking a taxi from the Brooklyn cruise terminal into Manhattan to a Schwartz Travel location , storing your luggage, then sightseeing in Manhattan, returning to Schwartz Travel to pick up your bags, and taking a taxi from there to JFK. Since your flight departs at 20.20 you should be at the airport by 17.20, so I would suggest being in your taxi and on your way from Schwartz Travel no later than 16.00 ( 4 pm).

The taxi from the Brooklyn pier to Schwartz Travel will likely be about $30 including toll and tip (the exact base fare will be determined by the meter). Taxi fares from Manhattan to JFK are fixed at $45 (not metered) plus tolls and tip...it should cost about $60 total. I don't know what Schwartz Travel charges for storage.

Thanks for the advice - that's very helpful. I see too that JFK has luggage storage so it might be worthwhile going out there on the Cunard bus, depositing luggage then setting off back into the city or organising an independent tour from JFK for the day? Does that sound like a sensible option?

If you take the Cunard transfer, I don't think you will have as much time as you think. My guess is that you will leave Brooklyn between 10 and 11 am and won't even arrive at JFK until 11-12. By the time you figure out the luggage storage you will only have about 4 hours before you have to be returning to JFK. Why don't you check out the timing on the Cunard boards to see what they actually do? I'm sure there are many folks on the sailing who are taking evening flights back to Europe, so Cunard probably doesn't feel much pressure to transfer folks to JFK in a speedy manner.

Depending on the traffic, JFK can be a really long trek from Manhattan or Brooklyn whereas Brooklyn to Manhattan is much closer. You will be doing this on a Tuesday. If you get off the ship at 9 am, you should be at Schwartz Travel by 10 am ($30-$35). That gives you 5-6 hours right in the middle of Manhattan. You can take a cab ($45 + tolls + tip) or the LIRR train and Airtrain ($13/pp) back to JFK. If you are going by cab I would be out of there by 3:30. Train time will be a little more reliable because there will be no traffic issues.

Archived