Shore diving in Cozumel?

melmar02

Can anyone recommend a good location for shore diving in Cozumel? Chankanaab and Villablanca sound interesting. We're looking for a shop that will rent us tanks and weights, has lockers, and shade for between dives. Facilities and a nearby restaurant are pretty important too. Papa Hogs website says they rent tanks, but dive paradise is unclear. Any suggestions or reviews are appreciated.

I have read that shore diving is not fantastic in Cozumel, however, we want to keep this a beach type vacation if that makes sense - we want to set our own schedule. We're planning a dedicated dive trip later next year, so we'll catch more then.

Thanks!

Unfortunately Cozumel does not lend itself well to shore diving. There is a Marine Park from where the Puerta Maya / International piers are to the southern end of the island. Inside the park you are not permitted to dive without a credentialed local Dive Master. At Chankanaab you can shore dive, but will have to hire a DM to go with you. Not sure of the cost, but its not as cheap as shore diving by yourself. Plus the reef structure is minimal compared to further off shore.

Papa Hogs is north of the piers and outside the marine park and thus they can rent you tanks/weights and you can shore dive. Only the diving along that bit of shoreline is devoid of most corals ect. It does have many macro type life if you enjoy looking at tiny things. I wouldn't recommend it. There is a wall of reef structure a few hundred yards out. But it's a long swim and there's lots of boat traffic and current. Could be dangerous at best.

Cozumel does lend itself well to very easy and timely boat diving. I'm not sure of your arrival and departure times. But you can have a boat diving day and a beach day if you arrange it well. Most of the morning two tank boat dives depart 7:30am to 9:30am. They all start in or near town(North of the usual cruise docks, then head south to the marine park. Most if not all the "beach clubs" are also south in the Marine Park(Chakanaab, Paradise, Nachi Cocum ect.) The second dives are usually over by 11:30 to 1pm depending on when you start.

What I would do is arrange a two tank boat dive and have the dive op drop you off at your chosen beach club when you are done diving. This is common as there are also hotels among the beach clubs they routinely pick and drop off divers at. Most if not all have piers for easy access and locker/bathrooms to change. Bring a bag with your beach stuff and enjoy the afternoon at the beach. Get a one way cab ride back to the pier when you are done.

This way you get to have your cake and eat it too.

Plus in my opinion the boat diving sites are FAR superior to any shore diving you may do.

Enjoy your day whatever you end up doing.

Rich

Technical addendum . . .

A reason Coz is not a good shore diving site is the fact that it has very strong and very changable currents over the best diving reef. A 4 or 5 knot current is not unusual and that current changing direction within an hour is also possible. It makes bringing a ship in more exciting I can tell you that; as I have done that many times over the last 25 years.

Most diving is drift diving with a 'chase boat' which is also why it is important to stay with the guide cuz they usually have the flag the boat is chasing.

Technical addendum . . .

A reason Coz is not a good shore diving site is the fact that it has very strong and very changable currents over the best diving reef. A 4 or 5 knot current is not unusual and that current changing direction within an hour is also possible. It makes bringing a ship in more exciting I can tell you that; as I have done that many times over the last 25 years.

Most diving is drift diving with a 'chase boat' which is also why it is important to stay with the guide cuz they usually have the flag the boat is chasing.

Just curious how many dives you have in Cozumel? 4 to 5 knot currents? Really? Michael Phelps in his fastest stroke goes 4.7 mph = 4 knots. Please don't try to scare the uninformed. I have 150+ dives there in the last 20 years. On most deep dives the "drift" is less than 1/2 knot. On the shallower dives it's 1-maybe 2-3 knots at the worst.

I have "many" dives in Coz

and I have many mooring experiences

my reference is not a dive experience but the Coz' ship's pilots

and my own observations

I've watched a 'pilot' mis-judge the changing current and put a 15 foot gash in a cruise ship.

"How did that happen?"

Current changed . . . .

Most divers can not swim against the current off Planacar .... they can only ride it ... even with fins. But as important, the current can change 180 degrees in 20 minutes. Check the tables ... as a ship captain I did.

p.s. I've chased the lost off of Coz' . . .

p.s.2 is it better to warn too hard . . . or too little?

p.s.3 How long can you swim against a 1 knot current

you want to say it wasn't 3 it was 1 ... OK but dead it dead isn't it? I've picked 'em up

have you?

Archived