Anyone buy a rolex in Grand Cayman?

I did not personally buy a Rolex in Grand Cayman, but my brother did on our cruise last

december. He bought a Rolex President and I

believe that he saved a few thousand dollars.

But even if the prices are the same as they

are in the U.S., you can always save the sales

tax, if they have a sales tax where you live.

You will have to figure out how you will act when you go through customs and immigration on your return to the states. On that I have NO

COMMENT.

I haven't purchased a Rolex, but I looked. In Cayman they were offering 10% off list price and no more. You could also save on sales tax depending on how you handle your customs declaration. I don't recall the name of the jewelry store, but I was offered a 20% discount in Cozumel after significant haggling. This may depend on the cost of the watch desired.

If you build a good relationship with a jeweler in the states, you should be able to get a 20% discount.

Christian

The prices throughout the Caribbean from authorized Rolex dealers are only slightly discounted from prices in the States. We bought one in Curacao, and did save on sales tax (although we paid a few hundred dollars of duty on it -- you give the store your cabin number & ship, and I was SURE that customs was waiting for us). Many of the Caribbean stores have a large selection, which is a plus. It's also a fantastic souvenir of a great vacation!

Rolex dealers seem very disinclined to bargain, even in St. Thomas and other islands known for bargaining. I'd still try, even in Grand Cayman. I bought a nice diamond pendant in Grand Cayman, got them to come down (very little) on price & throw in a chain, and had it appraised for thousands more when I returned home. Yippeee....

I know that there are risks associated with on-line buying, but you may also be able to save sales tax on-line ... and take a careful look at Rolex watches on Ebay if you're feeling lucky.

"If you build a good relationship with a jeweler in the states, you should be able to get a 20% discount."

I agree with this 100% I own three Rolex watches and everytime we go to the islands, I look to buy another, but I've never found any really good deals. Stick to getting one in the states.

SDT

Rolex Buyer Beware!

I have a President's Lady Oyster DAte-Just...which my husband bought and purhcase in Canada... in Canadian $$$. We priced out the very same watch in St. Thomas in US $$ and the price was much higher... We know our jeweller and he wants our business. No place else, could touch it. (WE checked)..(Ps. it is registered.)

Now, regarding diamonds, I think the prices in St Maartens are significantly better than in St. Thomas...and much better than in Canada. But, you do have to bargain. Kay's Jewellery in St. Maarten, are very competitive and will bargain... know your prices. Good luck.

icon_wink.gif

I bought a Rolex in St. Thomas a few years ago at AH Riise. Saved some money but not sure how much. Declared the watch when we went thru customs so as not to ruin what was a great vacation dealing with the Feds.

However, my old Seiko keeps better time than my Rolex. The Roles runs about 5 - 7 minutes fast each month. Although I'm never late for meetings, I expected more from what is marketed as the worlds best timepiece. Looks nice on the wrist but not so sure I'd do it again.

Squire5000: I agree with you. I don't think I would do the Rolex thing again. Mine has been to NY twice, since it slows and stops (evidently I don't wave my hand around enough for the self-winding mechanism). It was a present from my spouse so I treasure it, but I actually prefer my Seiko too. On the other hand, hubby loves his Rolex and hasn't had any problems with it in 10-years, wears it nonstop including swimming, etc.

I have a Rolex, also, that loses time each month. I have had it to NY to get serviced, but the same thing happens again. I just re-set it at the beginning of each month, but you shouldn't have to do that with such an expensive watch! My 25 year old Seiko keeps much better time! icon_confused.gif

You can always have your purchases from the Caribbean shipped back to the US. That way, you do not have anything to declare when you come thru Customs. Easy! I have done this several times.

(26 prior cruises & 2 flights on Concorde)

It has been said that angels, while on Earth,

aren't allowed to show their wings,

but nothing was ever said

about not showing their whiskers. <^..^>

i have heard just wear it and no questions asked

how do they know if you bought something or not

Those shops are not required to report anything to customs

they ask ship name and number to track who buys what so that they may see if the advertising they pay for in those onboard shopping manuals and guides is working. They never ask YOUR nationality. Many Canadians and Euros cruise the caribbean what good would reporting there name to US customs be???

For those who say your rolex doesn't keep time well enough it is because you dont wear it every day or move your hand enough. That is why

(mine had the same problem and i was mad as heck because i only wore it if I had a suit on (1-2 days a month) I had it in the shop so many times until another customer actually explained it to me and my jeweler. I still dont wear it that much more just chicken i guess. I won mine in a sales contest

Jim Bulger

Monarch

explorer

majesty 2X

Voyager

sovereign

LOVE RCCL

SOS Quickie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;16;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

I wear the Rolex everyday. I've even tried placing it a certain way on the nightstand as some people on the Internet suggested who have had similar problems. It just doesn't keep good time. I just reset it periodically and forget about it, but I sure wouldn't spend a bundle on another one.

Regarding the suggestion of just wearing the watch when you go thru Customs ( I think I'm reading the comment right, if not, sorry) I've got some friends who work for Customs. What they tell me is that when people go thru the process upon disembakation, particularly those that have been to the Caribbean, they eyeball watches. They can tell by the wear and tear on the watch band if the watch is new or not. If it shows little wear, be preprared to be pulled out of line and do some explaining.

Hello squire,

Do you think the friend who told you that, were maybe "pitching the company line." Because i agree you can see how old a watch is by seeing the wear (or maybe even being able to spot this years style versus 25 years ago)But wouldn't a simple "no just got this before we got on board for selling the most widgets" make them say thank you have a nice day???

Sure the safe thing to do is do the research see if its a better deal if you pay the duty or not and then either buy it or dont.....BUT there are those out there who would take the risk i guess (seeing that i am not buying a rolex any time soon I am only bieng hypothetical)

Jim Bulger

Monarch

explorer

majesty 2X

Voyager

sovereign

LOVE RCCL

SOS Quickie

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;7;16;17;0;00&timezone=GMT-0500

diz - Kirk's is the best place for watches in GC. They will discount deeply for you and their selection is extensive for Rolex and others, so you will probably find exactly what you want.

I will be back there in July, for the 3rd time. I have to stay out of that store! icon_eek.gif

Ebay is the way to go, you will save approx $1000. for a submariner to $7000 for a President or 18k sub or yachtmaster. Just look at their rating and how many items they have sold, new and used available.

One can't expect a mechanical watch to match the accuracy of a quartz-based timepiece. Expensive mechanical watches make a different statement. Forgive me, but Rolex watches through force of advertising, are over-rated. For a special gift consider the 'big three' of Swiss watchmakers instead - Patek Philippe, Audemars Piguet or my own preference, Vacheron & Constantin. These brands are the absolute pinnacle of mechanical refinement, generally subtle in appearance and do cruises well!

My Rolex watches keep perfect time. They'll only run about two days after I take one off. That's normal. I have my three and my wifes serviced every couple years and they run and look like new. Wouldn't own any other brand

SDT

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by FinelyCruising:

diz - Kirk's is the best place for watches in GC.

I will be back there in July, for the 3rd time. I have to stay out of that store! icon_eek.gif<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Can I ask what else you have purchased there? We're not looking for watches, perhaps a necklace/bracelet/earrings. Do you still recommend them? Thanks!

###

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=191970&cdt=2004;6;26;17;1;00&timezone=GMT-0400

Navigator of the Seas 6/26/04

<center>

<a href="http://www.escati.com/counter98/free_time_codes.htm">

time98.gif</center>

Archived