LAX-is anyone familiar with LAX-need help please

Leesie6351

we are actually going on a bus tour in Australia but will be departing from LAX (home airport is ATL). Departing is not a problem but arriving back to LAX from Australia- we arrive at the Tom Bradley Int Term and have to make our way to terminal 5 for our return flight to Atl. We have separate tickets for the domestic leg and international leg so we cannot check our luggage straight through from australia to atlanta. My question is-- I know we take a shuttle bus to get from Tom Bradley Int terminal to terminal 5 but does anyone know if there is a way to check our luggage upon arrival at the Tom Bradley terminal (I assume we go through customs there) and not have to shlep it on the shuttle bus to terminal 5?

thanks-- I know this is not cruise related but hopefully someone will help me. my private email addy is: der6351@gmail.com

http://www.lawa.org/welcome_LAX.aspx?id=256

See the above map. Unless you can check your luggage though when you check in at Australia you need to carry luggage to Terminal 5.

Likewise, you might be better off just walking to terminal 5 with your luggage. The shuttle runs about every 15 minutes and you need to be at the right place to get on.

LAX is not the best airport for getting between terminals. Also, don't expect help getting luggage on the shuttle.

Are you sure you cannot check your bags straight through to ATL? If the tickets are issued on the same airline or affiliate, they usually will check them through to your final destination.

Otherwise, you will need to claim your bags at Tom Bradley and take them for check-in at Terminal 5. We did this a few years ago to Term 2 and found it easier to just walk rather than wait for the shuttle.

Are you sure you cannot check your bags straight through to ATL? If the tickets are issued on the same airline or affiliate, they usually will check them through to your final destination.

Otherwise, you will need to claim your bags at Tom Bradley and take them for check-in at Terminal 5. We did this a few years ago to Term 2 and found it easier to just walk rather than wait for the shuttle.

Not Possible! U.S. Customs and Immigration requires that all luggage be inspected at the first arrival airport. No matter where you are headed, or what airline is involved, all luggage and passengers must pass through inspection before continuing their journey.....

Not Possible! U.S. Customs and Immigration requires that all luggage be inspected at the first arrival airport. No matter where you are headed, or what airline is involved, all luggage and passengers must pass through inspection before continuing their journey.....

That is known, the question was can you then recheck luggage in Tom Bradley for a flight the leaves from Terminal 5.

IF the 2 airlines have an agreement to interline baggage then it may be possible but you would have to arrange that with your airlines. It would have been easier if you were on one through ticket.

We really cannot answer the question because it is not an airport question it is a specific airline question.

The LAX-ATL flight is undoubtedly Delta, who uses T5. If the transPac flight is VAustralia, they have baggage agreements with DL. Obviously it's not on DL or there would be no issue. UA or Qantas might be willing to check the bags through. It just depends on the mood of the agent when you check in. Being on separate tickets reduces the chances, however.

In all cases you claim your bags after Immigration. After clearing Customs, luggage is either placed on a transfer conveyor for the connecting flight or has to be schlepped to T5. In either case a security re-screen is required at T5; also check-in at T5 if the bags are not checked through.

you all pretty much confirmed what I thought and was told by Quantas. Yes I'm flying Delta ATL to LA and Quantas to Australia and then returning same way. The tickets were purchased separately because the transpacific tickets are through the tour company we are using and it was cheaper to buy my own Delta tickets than through the tour company. I was just hoping that we might have been able to check them into Delta from the customs area rather than reclaiming them from Quantas.

Thanks for the tips about walking-- we'll have to see if it works because neither DH nor I can walk too far.

I appreciate the responses.

As mentioned, be sure to ask about thru-checking of your baggage when leaving home from ATL and in Oz on your way home. The answer will probably be 'no' but you never know. I hope your layover @ LAX isn't too long....first of all because it's LAX and second of all because they have no luggage storage facilities and Qantas' check-in doesn't open until 6pm or so. If you have an all-day layover (many from the East Coast do), you might consider a rental car and going to some nearby area shopping or sightseeing.

OK, now for the first "Australia 100A class": There is no 'U' in "Qantas"...an acronym for Queensland And Northern Territory Aerial Services .:) I presume you will be on an A380 on your TransPac flights...great aircraft but I'm starting to miss the venerable 747-400 already!

Show your Delta ticket to the agent when you check in and perhaps they will tag your luggage all the way through.

When you exit Tom Bradley, turn to the right. The "Blue" bus stop (on the center island) is where you'd catch the A bus to take you to terminal 5 (Delta). The "Blue" bus stop is on the curve at between Tom Bradley and Terminal 4 (American). It would be easier just to walk to Terminal 5 as it is only 1 stop, and by the time you'd schlep your luggage on and off the bus, you'd have already arrived if you walked. If you can't check your luggage all the way through, be sure to use a cart (they are free at TB); it will make the transfer easier if you walk.

Good Luck!

Denice

thanks so much to everyone for the great information-- yes on the outbound leg, I'm flying from ATL to LAX and overnighting at the airport hilton. Will try to get either a day room or ok to stay in the tower lounges (I paid for a Tower room) or maybe do a sightseeing tour. Then will either shuttle or taxi to LAX for Qantus flight. It's the return that's the problem because of the split ticket and the need to most likely reclaim our luggage at Tom Bradley terminal and make our way to terminal 5 for return to ATL on Delta. I will definitely try to cajole the Qantas agent when I check-in to send the baggage straight trhu to ATL. Since I need wheelchair assistance that might help. If not, I'll probably do as suggested and take a luggage cart and try to walk instead of taking the shuttle. I'm hoping the wheelchair attendant will help me in exchange for a nice tip.

all your suggestions have been wonderful--thanks!!!!!

Archived