How do YOU sleep the night before the cruise?

Cruisemaiden

Ok...here I am, still 56 days out from my cruise...and I just cannot sleep!

Which leads me to my question:

How do you all sleep the night before you leave on your cruise??

My hubby and I actually...don't sleep....we are just to excited to sleep. I have tried everything I can think of...besides actual sleeping pills (I hate drugs) and the excitement just is too much for us!!

Usually, we wind up getting up some rediculas hour in the morning and just getting ready and going for a early breakfast and then off to the airport....(if we have an early flight) the down side....is by the time I reach my destination, usually a cruise....I am so tired...I miss out cause I have to go to bed early from exhaustion....

Would love to hear some tips on how to get a good nights sleep the night before...

I gave up and found I started sleeping better. The night before we leave I just plan on not sleeping and dig out my faviort video's, set the alarm clock, and camp out on the couch. Hey technicality I'm on vacation!!

I occasionally use Exedrin pm or Tylenol pm, taking it fairly early , like 8pm. I have found the best way to keep my nerves in check is to make sure everything is done a couple of days in advance. Everything we need is at the door, ready to go, with a note taped to the door of last minute things to do.

I'll have my husband watch a documentary of World War 2, the narrators voice always puts me to sleep.

Me too Marilyn! I think that is exactly what my problem is...just a kid at heart with something to look forward to...

I mean, we plan and plan, and dream...we spend alot of time getting everything ready and always thinking of our trip in the back of our mind...trying to remember did I pack this...should I pack that....are all the details taken care of....

It is no wonder we cannot sleep...my mind is running 110mph the whole time!!

I just can't quit thinking about all the fun....LOL

Sleep?? :confused:

You mean some people actually sleep the night before a cruise. :eek:

I'm usually so wound up finishing the packing (even when we fly out the day before) that there's no way to sleep more than a few winks.

Never fails, on way to the airport or as we're standing in line at cruise port, DH will ask if I packed this or that and then my insomnia starts in all over again. :)

Dianne

DW and I do a pre/post cruise stay, but the anticipation the night before we leave is immense. She is usually the one that can sleep. I for one can't. I'm responsible for all our vacation bookings, excursions, planning, and destinations. No wonder I can't sleep. (LOL)

John

I cannot believe that some people can sleep the night before the cruise! Hard to imagine. We are flying down to Tampa the night before our cruise and don't get in till 1 a.m. Helps to solve the problem. By the time we get to the hotel and unwind, we are exhausted and drop into bed. We get a fairly decent sleep and are up and rearing to go the next morning! I find that this way I am not exhausted the day of the cruise. Sure helps me out.

Sleep, what's sleep the night or two or week before you cruise. Oh well you can catch up on one of the lounge chairs on deck, but make sure you have the sunscreen on! :eek:

I agree with the Benadryl, good to take just make sure you drink a lot of water the next day as it will give you dry mouth. What I do is just give up knowing I won't sleep and wah la I'm asleep before I know it. Enjoy, we definitely are all just kids at heart! :p

Ok...here I am, still 56 days out from my cruise...and I just cannot sleep!

Which leads me to my question:

How do you all sleep the night before you leave on your cruise??

Badly! We used to cruise, or fly out from our daughters place [650 sq ft], in Vancouver. For several years Wilma 'slept' on the sofa, while I had the floor, with six tape recorders above my head, these clicked on and off through the night, since her husband taped stuff to send to the U.K. I was also visited by the cat throughout the night. On time our son 'slept over?' one time, UNDER the table! He complained that we both snored, too bad. They have now moved to a small house, so we now sleep? on a futon. If any of you are ever temped to sleep on one, I have one word of advice fo you all, DON'T. They also have a second, and much more persistent cat. We are both in our 70,s. Who said that life was fair? john

Badly! We used to cruise, or fly out from our daughters place [650 sq ft], in Vancouver. For several years Wilma 'slept' on the sofa, while I had the floor, with six tape recorders above my head, these clicked on and off through the night, since her husband taped stuff to send to the U.K. I was also visited by the cat throughout the night. On time our son 'slept over?' one time, UNDER the table! He complained that we both snored, too bad. They have now moved to a small house, so we now sleep? on a futon. If any of you are ever temped to sleep on one, I have one word of advice fo you all, DON'T. They also have a second, and much more persistent cat. We are both in our 70,s. Who said that life was fair? john

My husband can sleep through anything.....maybe because he's a Paramedic and is used to sleeping when he can. I toss and turn trying to think and rethink if I have packed everything that I will need and half of what I won't need. Then I think about if I have enough of this and enough of that....if this and if that. By the time I think it's time to get out of bed, I am restless and can't wait to get going. Then it's the ritual of leaving the house. Going througth everything to make sure of this and sure of that and especially checking on my animals (babies). By the time we are on the ship and in our beds for that first night, I am OUT and sleeping like a baby. Without my PM's and Elavil. G. Johnson

John . . . I loved it . . . too funny . . . you and your wife are true "campers." And I'm sure you guys probably slept very soundly . . . on the first day/night of your cruises.

I'm sure I'll sleep very poorly. Before every vacation/trip, I spend half the night thinking about everything and trying to remember everything I need to take/do. I'm always afraid I'm going to forget something! At least we're doing 2 nights in Tampa pre-cruise where I'll have already realized anything I would have forgotten and I'll just have to deal with the excitement!

Sleep?? :confused:

You mean some people actually sleep the night before a cruise. :eek:

I agree, I usally don't sleep the night before any vacation. I am too excited and I'm worried about what I forgot to pack. Uusally I am packing for 4 people and an RV. This time I will be packing for two people. OH, scratch that, I have to make sure that my son is packed for Boy Scout camp before I leave, so I will be packing for 3 people that are going two different directions. UUGGHHH. :D

Once I'm on the cruise ship it won't matter, everyone is on their own.

I can't sleep either! I have 87 days to go, but it might as well be only 1. I feel like every morning is "the day", which means, no sleep the night before! This time, we're coming into Miami the night before, so hopefully we can have a few drinks before bedtime and that will do the trick!

Nothing helps. I have 50 days til DW and I sail on the Golden Princess and I toss & turn at night thinking of everything from packing to our pre & post cruise stay. I haven't slept straight through the night since I booked Jan.19th. I have to say though...the planning is half the fun, especially because I'm a group leader for 9 of us.

John

Ok I can't sleep and i have 9 days to go!! I'm more than likely going to not sleep then night before i set sail either because we leave at 2am haha anyways if you think this is bad....

I have to sit through school next week!!!! I am currently on Mid-Winter Break (Senior at highschool) but we go back to school on Monday, so i have to actually sit, take tests and pay attention up until the day i leave... how is this truly possible??? (My last cruise was during the summer so...) Anyone else faced this before?? (Not fun haha)

Can't wait to Set Sail!!!!!!!:D

LOL you guys are hilarious!

I am able to sleep at night, although I get very excited during the days before I go, especially being on cruise critic! We feed off each others energy. I'm so glad I'm not the only one feeling this way.

It's the only thing I can think about!

Well when I was a kid and it was Christmas eve, the only way I could fall asleep was to keep telling myself over and over that this was just an ordinary night and tomorrow is just an ordinary day. I am pretty good at mind over body:) maybe you can give that a try.. but you really have to convince yourself!! lol

Good luck you guys and think about how tired you are going to be the first day on the ship... that's what I tell my husband when I can hear him lying next to me in the dark, blinking !

Archived