Spring Break Cruising....

Aelsantokie

Is it worth spending $$$$ and cruise during spring break??

This year the kids' spring break is the last week of March and trying to decide what to do. Thinking about the week long cruise out of NYC either on NCL or Carnival. I've never cruised NCL before so I don't know what to expect. But I am wondering if it will be crazy busy or same as cruising in the middle of summer?

What do you guys do with your kids during spring break? Stay home, relax or do something fun??

I have traveled several times during Spring Break and it has always been great fun. Our SB in Texas is usually the second week in March though, so I don't know if that will make a difference for you. It is busy with families, but that just makes it more fun for the kids as they have a lot of new friends to meet.

We often travel during the spring break period (which runs thru March and April!)...without kids!

There will be lots of families, but the ship is designed to be full...it won't impact your cruise one way or the other. The kids will have others to play with, if you're bringing kids...and if you're not, you simply ignore the ones onboard! Easy!

Is it worth spending $$$$ and cruise during spring break??

This year the kids' spring break is the last week of March and trying to decide what to do. Thinking about the week long cruise out of NYC either on NCL or Carnival. I've never cruised NCL before so I don't know what to expect. But I am wondering if it will be crazy busy or same as cruising in the middle of summer?

What do you guys do with your kids during spring break? Stay home, relax or do something fun??

We have traveled several times in early March and also in the summer months. I would say that spring break is about the same as summer. Especially if you are going out of NYC, I don't think you will see tons of college kids like you would say out of Miami.

The only thing that would hold me back, is that cruising out of NYC in March will be very cold!

yes unfortunately for me :(

even last year's early Oct. cruise, the last day at sea was really cold and chilly. The kids definitely hated it but i think it had something to do with the onset depression which comes with your cruise/vacation ending! LOL

We have traveled several times in early March and also in the summer months. I would say that spring break is about the same as summer. Especially if you are going out of NYC, I don't think you will see tons of college kids like you would say out of Miami.

This was definitely a concern of mine as well, the college crowd. The NY port is definitely closer but we've considered going down to FL to cruise. I was once a college spring breaker myself so I am weary of having my kids around that....:D:D:D:D

This was definitely a concern of mine as well, the college crowd. The NY port is definitely closer but we've considered going down to FL to cruise. I was once a college spring breaker myself so I am weary of having my kids around that....:D:D:D:D

I think a lot depends on which ship and departure port. We did Western in back to back years - 1st time Valor out of Miami. Lots of college kids, but we had no issues - they were fun to watch. The worst thing we saw was a beer bong, that was pretty quickly confiscated by security. The second year, same exact week, we took the Legend, Western, out of Tampa. Totally different crowd. Much more family and more elderly than we have seen on any other cruise. Loved it. Looks like you have sailed her too!

If you can afford to fly that bunch of yours:eek::p, it might be worth it for the extra sunshine and warmth! I would do the Legend again in a heartbeat!

Spring break cruises in March are the greatest. There will be lots of kids the same age as yours. Our grandkids had the greatest time last March on our spring break cruise and met other kids their age from all over...some of which they have stayed in touch with. We had a great time as well. If you can, consider flying to a port in Florida, or to New Orleans, or Houston (to go out of Galveston).

Here's hoping you have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

I think a lot depends on which ship and departure port. We did Western in back to back years - 1st time Valor out of Miami. Lots of college kids, but we had no issues - they were fun to watch. The worst thing we saw was a beer bong, that was pretty quickly confiscated by security. The second year, same exact week, we took the Legend, Western, out of Tampa. Totally different crowd. Much more family and more elderly than we have seen on any other cruise. Loved it. Looks like you have sailed her too!

If you can afford to fly that bunch of yours:eek::p, it might be worth it for the extra sunshine and warmth! I would do the Legend again in a heartbeat!

Good to hear that your experience was a positive one. My imagination was wandering off! :) And let's just be honest, my kids would be happy to vegetate around in the house, I think I have a little bit of gypsy in me and can't go 3-5 months without vacationing.

Spring break cruises in March are the greatest. There will be lots of kids the same age as yours. Our grandkids had the greatest time last March on our spring break cruise and met other kids their age from all over...some of which they have stayed in touch with. We had a great time as well. If you can, consider flying to a port in Florida, or to New Orleans, or Houston (to go out of Galveston).

Here's hoping you have a great cruise. Bon Voyage!

Thanks! And I wish the grandparents would take our kids on a vacation, can't remember the last vacation DH and I had by ourselves! I salute you, I'm sure your children appreciate their own time away from the kids!:):)

We cruise almost exclusively at Spring Break with our children and they love it - as do I! It is a perfect time for a vacation. Still cold and miserable in Chicago and we've been cooped up since Christmas! Sadly, good, non-stop flights are really hard to get, so I envy you the opportunity to drive to a port! While you may be worried about the cold sailing from NYC, I have to say that sailing out of LA is quite cold in March as well. The first and last day at sea were pretty much indoor days, as far as I was concerned.

Archived