My Conquest Review 10/10/10 -10/17/10

Soonerbaby

This will be the first review that I’ve done, so please bear with me as I tend to get a little chatty at times.

First a little info about us. There was me, DH, DD 21yo, DD 18yo, DS 17yo, DS 12yo and DD boyfriend-20yo, and DD boyfriend-18yo. This trip has been in the works since January, so our departure was much anticipated! Everyone was so excited.

We traveled to Galveston from Yukon, Oklahoma (suburb of OKC) the day before we sailed just to insure that we had plenty of time to get there. I wanted the day that we sailed to be smooth and for everyone to be well rested. I was a little concerned about sea sickness for a few of us, so I wanted as little anxiety as possible. We stayed at the Comfort Suites in Galveston and were really impressed. I was able to work out a group rate, as there were several other families traveling at the same time, so for $99 a night, I was a little unsure as to what to expect. The rooms were clean and spacious and the staff was wonderful! Once we got settled into our rooms, we headed to Seawall for some dinner. We stopped at Casey Guaidos and had a great time. It was very relaxing to sit out on the patio and view the beach while we ate. After dinner all the boys except DS 17 headed to the beach. DS 17 and I had both forgotten our swimsuits, so we and the two girls went shopping. After we found some swimsuits, the others met us at Baskin Robbins for desert. Once we got back to the hotel, the boys went to the workout room, and then to the hot tub and pool. Apparently, there were quite a few teenage girls at the hotel for a sports event or something as well. We hit the hay knowing we would barely sleep for the anticipation of the next day.

Sunday, Embarkation:

Everyone got up in plenty of time Sunday. We had the free breakfast and hurried to meet the shuttle. We weren’t worried about eating too much breakfast because we know we would go right to the Lido deck once on board. Everything loaded on the shuttle and we were at the terminal by about 11am. The line was already pretty long for check in, but it actually went pretty quickly. We had 3 bottles of wine for the 3 of us that were over 21 and 4 twenty packs and one twelve pack of soda. The soda was all on one cart and not an eye was batted at that or the wine. Got thru security, waited another 10 or so minutes in line, got checked in and our S&S accounts set up and the next thing we knew we were being dinged in! We had butterflies as we crossed the deck into the lobby. Now…up to Lido. Of course everyone else on the ship had the same idea, so it was packed, but I managed to find a place for all 8 of us to sit. I sat down and waited (I was pooped) while everyone else got their food. I will mention here that I forgot about Sur Mer at first or we would have gone up there. I did remember about it before lunch was over and the boys were happy to find it.

After lunch my oldest DD was in quite a hurry to find out if the rooms were ready, but I had prepared gift baskets for them all so hurried to the cabins promptly at 1:30 (they were ready, yay!) and set everything up. Once I allowed everyone in the cabins we all unpacked and went up to the decks for sail away. I must say that my time on Cruise Critic was well spent. My husband kept looking down and wanting to know “how those people got on those decks below”. I very happily responded “why, the secret doors of course”, and we set off to find them, which we did. It was so great to be out there just the few of us. We explored a little after that and went to freshen up for dinner. I must say, I have read a lot about how the first dinner night is “come as you are” as many have not received their luggage yet, I did feel a little under dressed. We were dressed decently, but not like what we planned to wear for all the other nights. Regarding our dining room experience; I am gluten intolerant and DD boyfriend has a nut allergy. I emailed the special needs forms and went to see the Maître d when we got on the ship. The only information he ad was a note in the computer that said “food allergy”. He passed on the information to our dining room hostess who was fabulous! She ordered special breakfast, lunch and dinner foods for us each day.

After dinner DH and I went up and just lounged on the deck with a drink. He and DD boyfriend were watching Sunday night football on the Jumbo Screen. I didn’t last very long though…I was pooped!

Ok, I will now attempt to upload a picture…you will know soon enough if I am successful!

Fabulous review so far!! Looking forward to the rest of it since we are boarding the Conquest in a couple weeks!!!:D

Thank you! If you have any specific questions let me know. I also have the Fun Times and Circle C schedule if you would like it. :)

Thank you! If you have any specific questions let me know. I also have the Fun Times and Circle C schedule if you would like it. :)

Oooh! Yes! Updated Funtimes would be great! The last set I saw was from June I think. We're cruising Conquest in forty-some-odd days.

I would love to see the current fun times!!!! I will send you an e-mail!! Thanks so much!!!

I love detailed reviews! We'll be on the Conquest in less than 30 days. How long did it take you to drive from Yukon? We're driving from Stillwater.

Also, if it's ok with you, I'm going to email you so I can look at the updated Fun Times as well.

Oh thank you for posting. It looks like your youngest had a broken arm. Was it a swimming cast?

It was actually just a fracture (thank goodness). He did this the weekend before we left! He was so upset that he might not get to snorkel. They did put a swimming cast on him and he was good to go. He didn't have any problems with it at all.

I love detailed reviews! We'll be on the Conquest in less than 30 days. How long did it take you to drive from Yukon? We're driving from Stillwater.

Also, if it's ok with you, I'm going to email you so I can look at the updated Fun Times as well.

Absolutely! I will be happy to email them. It took us about 9 hours with the traffic we ran into in Houston. We also stopped for breakfast and a few bathroom breaks. It was really an easy drive.

Day 2, First day at sea and Elegant Night,

Most of the kids were sleeping in, so DH and I and the two oldest went to the MDR for breakfast. The hostess had ordered gluten free French toast and pancakes for me which was a real treat! After that, we mostly hung out on the Lido deck and just relaxed. Well, as much as you can relax with 6 kids running around the ship. Don’t get me wrong. Our kids are intelligent and wouldn’t do anything risky, but it is still a little worrisome. We explored the shops a little and relaxed in our cabin as well. It was really a pretty uneventful day.

We had early dining, so we started getting ready for dinner around 4:30. One complaint that we did have from the beginning was the temperature of the cabin. It was very warm. Guest services sent a mechanic to check it out a couple of times, but apparently Carnival’s standard for room temp is 74°, and if your temp is at or below that, they don’t do anything. Well, trying to get 4 people ready for Elegant night in a room so warm was not pleasant. After our third trip to Guest Services, they brought us a little fan. My point being, if you are concerned at all about it, or if you like a cool room, you may want to bring a fan. We will next time.

I did forget to mention in Day 1 that we also met our room steward Leslie. He was wonderful! I know he earned every single one of his tips!

We went up for dinner and stopped to take some pictures after while everyone still looked so pretty. Now, here is my thought on the pictures. I know there is a lot of talk about the price, but personally, I think it’s kind of a deal. Here’s why. It is HARD to get my large family together for pics. On the ship, we got to take tons of pictures and we got to choose which background. For $22 for the portrait and then the option of making the copies you like when you get home…I thought it was a pretty good deal. Now, back to dinner. Everyone looked so nice and it really was nice to get to dress up. I’m a jeans kind of girl, and I dress professionally for work and dress up when my husband and I go out, but it was nice for the whole family to do it. There were some people on Elegant Night that didn’t dress up, and just wore jeans, and to tell you the truth, I wasn’t offended at all. To each his own. It didn’t have any impact whatsoever on our vacation and the MDR staff still let them eat. J After dinner, we changed and played some Bingo. I didn’t win any Bingo the whole time we were on the ship, but that’s ok, we still had fun. The kids loved the Bingo. We headed on to bed a little while after that.

I was awakened by my DD 21 rummaging thru the bag that I had packed with pretty much our whole medicine cabinet as her boyfriend was getting seasick. I guess after we went to bed the ship moved into some of the rough waters being stirred up by what was at that time Tropical Depression Paula.

My pics are still uploading to Photobucket, so I will add some formal night pics when they are done.

Soonerbaby,

What a beautiful portrait! I seriously had to examine the photo to figure out who the mom was. In your embarkation photo, I thought mom wasn't in the photot. God bless you for looking so young!!

Good to know about the 74 degree setting. I like my room colder but my understanding was that they don't allow people to bring fans. I'm glad to hear that they supply them if necessary.

Soonerbaby,

What a beautiful portrait! I seriously had to examine the photo to figure out who the mom was. In your embarkation photo, I thought mom wasn't in the photot. God bless you for looking so young!!

Good to know about the 74 degree setting. I like my room colder but my understanding was that they don't allow people to bring fans. I'm glad to hear that they supply them if necessary.

Thank you very much!!!

They actually don't provide fans, we were told only for medical conditions because they don't have very many on hand. They just made an exception for because we were miserable. I know you can take a fan, but I am not sure about the specifics, if it has to be battery operated, etc.

Nice review so far.....looking forward to more - I just love the Conquest!

We have thus far (knock on wood) been lucky concerning the room temperature business. Last year our room was cool and family next door was warm - I told them to call as I have read that sometimes the vent is closed, and sure enough, that was the problem. Once the vent was opened, it cooled down. A couple of years ago our room was so cold we could have "hung meat" in the room -- my husband loved it, and I slept in my sweater and socks.

Nice review so far.....looking forward to more - I just love the Conquest!

We have thus far (knock on wood) been lucky concerning the room temperature business. Last year our room was cool and family next door was warm - I told them to call as I have read that sometimes the vent is closed, and sure enough, that was the problem. Once the vent was opened, it cooled down. A couple of years ago our room was so cold we could have "hung meat" in the room -- my husband loved it, and I slept in my sweater and socks.

That would be us! :) And, in the evenings it was ok, but it was disappointing that we had an Oceanview room, but couldn't open the curtains because it got too hot.

Archived