Confused on cabin selection

Mare10

I've finally chosen the cruise line (Princess) and the ship (Golden) for our first cruise. We're heading to Alaska for a 7 day Inland Passage probably in late June.

Should be able to book within a week or two and I want to be ready with my cabin choice!

I've been reading all morning and have learned that the mini suites are on the Dolphin and Emerald Decks. I know the balconies are larger and covered on Caribe but no mini suites.

Could I get some opinions on how important a covered balcony would be in Alaska in June or July? Also, I need help deciding between Dolphin and Emerald.

I love this site. Thanks in advance!

Marilyn

Welcome to Princess cruising. As you can see by my signature Princess is my favorite cruiseline.

Your information is partially correct. Mini suites are located on Dolphin and Emerald decks however, emerald deck minis are totally covered. Dolphin minis are all uncovered. If you decide on the covered balcony on emerald deck, catagory AD, I suggest you book quickly. Those cabins are very popular and get booked early, there aren't many of them.

As far as covered vs uncovered it's a matter of personal preference. On dolphin deck everyone above can look down on you, if that would bother you then get a covered balcony.

FYI the standard balcony cabin on Caribe deck is half covered/half open.

We have not sailed Princess in a while but I have seen the fleet and can help on a balcony suggestion.

Alaska is a rain forest and light mist is not uncommon. If you have a covered balcony you can spend more time outside as you sail through the glacial bays and shore side. We had very little rain on a June cruise but were very prepared. We did have mist and "real" rain on a September cruise. Many passengers fortunate enough to have balconies can move from their cabins to their balconies with relative ease when sailing near the glaciers. The frigid air is less noticeable on your balcony than on the open decks above.

That would be my #1 reason for the covered balcony while sailing to Alaska.

I hope you get the cabin you seek and enjoy all that our 49th state has to offfer.

I appreciate the input. I was leaning toward a mini suite and it seems like the covered balconies with a mini suite are the few on the Emerald deck.

Maybe we should settle for a regular balcony room on the Caribe deck....

Hmmmm. Still thinking and wondering which way to go! At least I've narrowed down the ship and itinerary.

I'm open to opinions on the cabin choice!

We did that cruise in August on the Golden. We booked a balcony stateroom on the Lido Deck (L307) - I would not normally want one so high sailing in other places, but the Inside Passage is very smooth sailing, so it was not a motion issue. It was terrific to be right down the hall from the pools and bars - doors separating so no noise issues. We used our balcony a great deal as it was totally covered. For our next sailing (Panama Canal) I'm going for lower deck midship!

OK... we're booked!!!!!!!!! We selected C334 (Caribe deck). There were only a few cabins left so I'm relieved to have one on the deck we chose.

Anyone have knowledge of this particular cabin?

Thanks for all the tips on cabin selection!

Archived