Have you cruised when there was a single's group on your cruise?

lovevacadays

I just googled my December 2011 cruise on the Crown and it looks like there is a single's group slated for this cruise. Anyone travel with any single's groups and what are your thoughts?

I'm single and going with two single friends so not against singles - obviously. Just wondering how it is or people's experiences.

Many years ago, I took a cruise out of San Juan with the now defunct "Single World." I would say there was about 100 or some people with this group from young 20s to 60s. This was a much smaller ship than the one you would be on and I don't think there was any adverse impact on the other passengers. Single does not always equal young!

On my honeymoon cruise last year there was a large singles group.

Other than some private parties, there was no difference that I could tell.

The only complaint I had is that they did not publish the fact that one of the anytime dining rooms was reserved each night for the group. It was annoying after the Captain's Welcome Celebration when everyone was then heading to dinner to find out that one of the rooms wasn't accepting people.

Last year at about this time (last week in October) my sister and I sailed on the Emerald Princess. Unbeknownst to us at the time of booking, I learned from the CC roll call that there would be an organized singles group onboard (*****). I contacted someone by email to ask if my sister would be able to participate in their activities (she's single, I'm not) and was given the details about how my sister could join the group if she was interested.

Even though she was not a member of the singles travel group, my sister met many of these folks while onboard. She couldn't attend their private gatherings but still enjoyed the time that she spent with other single cruisers. I actually met many of the people, too, and found them to be very friendly, warm, and welcoming.

With about 400 participants, this was reportedly the group's largest cruise participation to date. They used some shipboard facilities for private gatherings and had group dining arrangements, but they never interfered with passenger enjoyment of the ship. In chatting with members of the singles group, both my sister and I learned that many of these people have cruised together previously and link up onboard a couple of times each year. Overall, this was a very nice group of people who enjoy cruising.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

I also cruised once when there was a large "singles group" onboard. I kept thinking "my GOSH... so many of them that seem OLD! Like mid 50's to early 60's!" Then I remembered "My Gosh... Wait ....I guess that makes ME OLD!"

Their presence didn't enhance nor detract from the cruise for us.

It probably depends on whether 1) the group takes over several of the public areas such as pools, lounges, dining rooms (and unless you've booked through their agency, you most likely can't take part in any of those activities as their higher fare would cover those costs); 2) if the group itself is objectionable to you (personally for me that would be a religious group that wants to convert the rest of us).

Only once did an overly large group impacted a cruise we've done (somehow we ended up with a ship that had at least 40 per cent onboard for a world tourney of bingo -- that was a scary group). Other than that (and an obnoxious extended family), no groups have had an impact.

Chris, we were on the same cruise.

Even though there was a large group, it definitely didn't change our cruise experience. If my only complaint was that they didn't announce about one of the Anytime rooms being reserved, I guess it wasn't that bad.

Chris, we were on the same cruise.

Even though there was a large group, it definitely didn't change our cruise experience. If my only complaint was that they didn't announce about one of the Anytime rooms being reserved, I guess it wasn't that bad.

The entire group was scheduled for dinner at 8:30 in one of the dining rooms. Before dinner, the singles group was in Club Fusion for some type of social each evening. Passengers who like to do Karaoke but not participate in Princess Pop Star were disappointed that this wasn't offered during the cruise, but that's the only complaint that I heard. For the most part, the single's group was very cordial.

Did you wear a costume? I was dressed for ballet class :)

Chris

Hi All, I cruise with a group called 'Singles Cruises' , most of everyone here has nailed it exactly it is a great experiance, 'we' are just part of the cruisers on a particular ship with diffrent slated activities to meet and mingle as they say, glad to see most favorable comments about our groups, I don't think any of us want to interfear with anyone elses cruise experiance either as I know some of our sailings can be quite huge in numbers (Halloween ), You can join the group if your a singles cruiser for a charge as their is usually one to three officials from the singles group promoter that always sails with the groups depending on numbers to answer someones question on this thread, it is wacky fun mostly nothing to crazy or too organized and whats best you can still do your own thing or join up with the group during diffrent parts of the day/cruise, I applaude this particular site'SC' as I will be going on my 3rd in jan '11 / Oasis and have always had a great time as I think others have as well and YES you do form friendships as someone said and end up going on other cruises with people you meet and even doing other 'adventure' vacations ( France, Grand Canyon Hiking) that you might not have because your not in a particular relationship at the moment so if your interested in trying a singles group go for it and don't worry you will love it. Craig

cloedmom, I am the one on the roll call who is booked with the singles group on this trip. You will probably not even know we are there. With 3500 passengers, the group usually consists of 100-200 people.

I do it because it's a way to have companions (dinner, excursions, cocktail parties) but not have to be with anyone if I don't want. It works for me and many others (who I've travelled with this way before).

If you are not booked with the group, you cannot, however, participate in the private cocktail parties, private excursions or round robin dining (late). They also have a share program in case a single wants a roommate (to save money on single supplement).

We have a GREAT time. No down side to my knowledge.

cloedmom, I am the one on the roll call who is booked with the singles group on this trip. You will probably not even know we are there. With 3500 passengers, the group usually consists of 100-200 people.

I do it because it's a way to have companions (dinner, excursions, cocktail parties) but not have to be with anyone if I don't want. It works for me and many others (who I've travelled with this way before).

If you are not booked with the group, you cannot, however, participate in the private cocktail parties, private excursions or round robin dining (late). They also have a share program in case a single wants a roommate (to save money on single supplement).

We have a GREAT time. No down side to my knowledge.

Very cool. Thank you. I do remember seeing you on our roll call which, btw, has been pretty quiet. I'm happy to see all the positive comments. I'm not sure why I was concerned. As I stated, I'm single and traveling with two friends and a niece that are. My friends and I are in our 50's and my niece just turned 30. I'm really looking forward to doing this itinerary and I've sailed the Crown before and loved the ship!

Archived